This thread is just for the purpose of consolidating the info from a much longer, earlier thread.
Currently the Sansa Connect Recovery Tool may or may not work for you. You may see an error like “can’t connect to the Internet” or “can’t recover device, contact SanDisk technical support for assistance.” If so, it’s probably because the recovery tool is unable to download the firmware images it needs from zing.net. SanDisk hasn’t (yet) acknowledged this problem. The strange thing is that *sometimes* the recovery tool works, if you already have the firmware images on disk … but usually it doesn’t.
So here’s what you do (with thanks to Larlos for providing the firmware images and the command lines for installing them). This is assuming that you’re “stuck” at the “Recovery Needed” display on your Connect. If not, and you’re at the regular Sansa Connect menu, first follow steps 2 and 3 in this document: http://mp3support.sandisk.com/tools/connect-recovery-instructions.pdf, then proceed with the following:
(1) Download the zip file containing the firmware images from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UNLDGZ1N
(2) Locate the following files within the zip file, and copy them to your disk directory “C:\Program Files\SanDisk\Sansa Connect Device Recovery\cmdline”:
(3) In the same directory, create a file called recovery.bat containing the following three lines:
zsi_fw.exe -w everest_vmlinux_ext_prod_220.127.116.11239.srr.e everest_initrd_ext_prod_18.104.22.168239.srr.e
zaprecover.exe -t 600000 -f yeverest_zap_ota_rel_22.214.171.124799.tar.gz.e yeverest_zap_ota_rel_ext_prod_126.96.36.199799.sig
(4) Connect your Sansa Connect to USB.
(5) Execute the recovery.bat file (double-click on it in Windows Explorer, or run it from a DOS prompt). The “pause” line is there only so you can see the results of the execution if you run it from Windows Explorer. Wait for the recovery to finish; at the end your Connect will reboot. If Windows displays its New Hardware wizard during this process, just cancel the wizard.
Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 09-26-2009 01:58 PM