What the....

Evening folks, long time lurker. First time poster here.

I have an issue with my 4GB Clip. I’ve had it for about 6 weeks now and just love it.

Well, this morning when I got home from work I added a few more songs and went to bed.

On my way into work I connected my Clip to my FM transmitter in the car to listen to some tunes. Half way to work it quit working.

It gave me the ‘Not enough space for Music DB. Please free 30MB.’

1. I still have 500MB free.

2. How can I free up space when all it does is turns on, gives me the message and then turns off.

3. It is no longer recognized by the computer.

I have done an extensive search and have come up with nothing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kado.

Try This

I appreciate it. However, here is a message I found that describes my situation exactly:

I have a 2Gb Sansa Clip.  While loading it has available space as 1.8 GB.  After loading songs, it apparently had around 330 MB free disk space.  However, as soon as I unhooked it from my computer and tried to turn it on, it said I needed to remove 30 MB space to play it, then automatically turned off.  My computer will not recognize that the “clip” is connected since it won’t stay ON.  I ran a chck disk and off course since the Clip isn’t on, it did not recognize a corrupted disk.  I am unable to open through running the G: drive, since it won’t turn on and stay on.  I also can’t remove songs from the clip, again … since it won’t turn on and stay on for longer than 1-2 seconds.  How am I supposed to remove songs or search for a corrupted file if it won’t stay on for my computer to recognize it?

Please help.  Any suggestions appreciated.  

Of course no one replied to that particular message.

Kado.

@kado wrote:

I appreciate it. However, here is a message I found that describes my situation exactly:

I have a 2Gb Sansa Clip.  While loading it has available space as 1.8 GB.  After loading songs, it apparently had around 330 MB free disk space.  However, as soon as I unhooked it from my computer and tried to turn it on, it said I needed to remove 30 MB space to play it, then automatically turned off.  My computer will not recognize that the “clip” is connected since it won’t stay ON.  I ran a chck disk and off course since the Clip isn’t on, it did not recognize a corrupted disk.  I am unable to open through running the G: drive, since it won’t turn on and stay on.  I also can’t remove songs from the clip, again … since it won’t turn on and stay on for longer than 1-2 seconds.  How am I supposed to remove songs or search for a corrupted file if it won’t stay on for my computer to recognize it?

Please help.  Any suggestions appreciated.  

Of course no one replied to that particular message.

Kado.

Force it to MSC mode and it should be recognized. To force it to msc, slide the bower button down so the clip in locked, then press the center button and hold it while you connect to the computer. This should get it recognized.

Well that brought up an Autoplay screen for a moment and then shut down again. I’m going to try and reboot my computer.

What else have you got? Oh, and Thanks for the assitance by the way.

Kado.

Could it possibly be the cable I’m using? It is not the factory 4 incha cable that came with it. I found a much longer one in my closet. I thought I would keep this at work with me. Just a thought.

Message Edited by Kado on 03-23-2009 07:23 PM

Message Edited by Kado on 03-23-2009 07:24 PM

@kado wrote:

Well that brought up an Autoplay screen for a moment and then shut down again. I’m going to try and reboot my computer.

What else have you got? Oh, and Thanks for the assitance by the way.

Kado.

Could it possibly be the cable I’m using? It is not the factory 4 incha cable that came with it. I found a much longer one in my closet. I thought I would keep this at work with me. Just a thought.

Message Edited by Kado on 03-23-2009 07:23 PM

Message Edited by Kado on 03-23-2009 07:24 PM

Couldnt hurt to try another one.

The chkdsk utility cannot work its magic through the MTP port anyway; you’ll need to use MSC mode.

With the computer connected in MSC mode, you can use the alternate method: right click My Computer, and select Manage.  Select Disk Management.  In the list at the right, right click on the drive letter asigned your Sansa, and select Properties.

Click on the Tools tab, then you’ll see Check Volume for errors.

Defragmenting flash memory is about as useful as a rose in a Howitzer barrel, so avoid the temptation.  It’s actually not recommended.

Or, use the MSDOS prompt method.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Kado wrote: 

Could it possibly be the cable I’m using? It is not the factory 4 incha cable that came with it. I found a much longer one in my closet.

Yes, when I use a long alternative cable a lot of weird things happen… the Sansa screen goes very dim, etc

Edit: Also it could be the anti-EMI cylinder is helping on the short cable; my long one lacks that interference filter.

Message Edited by daft on 03-24-2009 02:38 AM

Well as they say on BSG… FRAK!

I came home from work this morning and plugged in the shorter stock cable and it still didn’t work. I did manage to get the Clip into MSC mode and recognized, (took forever), it slowed my system down a lot! Anywho, I got it to enter the Disc Management and it didn’t find any errors. So I formatted it. After re-formatting, I was able to get the unit to stay on for more than 10 seconds and I went to Reset All. I then started to re-load MP3’s. It accepted 5 files before it popped up saying the disc was full. It now has returned to stating that there is no room for the music DB and to clear up 30MB.

So, unfortunately I cleaned my room the other day and no-longer have the package remains nor the receipt. Too bad, I really liked this one too.  (I would go buy another one but with a 4 month old, money is scarce eh’.)

Kado.

if you are still within the 1 year warranty you should contact sandisk tech support, if they can not fix it they will replace it. 866-sandisk

Can you now try to reformat under the Clip’s Settings?  Perhaps that would do the trick.  And then I would try to reapply the firmware.

Well, I did call the Sandisk Tech support. I was walked through by a nice gentlemen to do all of the things I have already tried. Only this time…IT BLOODY WORKED!!

I was able to re-format the Clip on the unit itself. I then downloaded the new 32A Firmware. All seems to be right in the world, (as far as this goes).

I now have it sync with my MP3 files. So, we’ll see if any other issues or the same issues pop up again.

I really do appreciate all the help and patience you kind folks have given me.

Thanks!!

Kado.

I have a nice Yamaha digital stereo/alarm clock, in great shape but no longer being made, in which everything is controlled by a remote control.  Unfortunately, even though I treat it well, the remote wasn’t working and I couldn’t adjust any of the settings:  time, alarm time, etc.  I tried a new battery, nothing.  I bought different batteries, nothing again.  I left it alone and then came back to it; every now and again it would work, but then nothing, again.  Finally, the last time, out of sheer frustration, I smacked the stereo main unit with the palm of my hand.

Yep, it now works fine.   :slight_smile:

Sometimes, with electronics, you just never can tell.   :wink: