What Is Root Directory?

Attempting firmware upgrade.

What is the root directory mentioned in instructions and which download do I click- updater or all regions?

Firmware now is 02.01.09A

Click all regions. Then plug the clip in, and then open the player like you would to drag and drop files, and then paste the firmware file on to the clip, not in any subfolder. so it is this open internal memory and paste.

Root directory is the top-most level of the device.

Thanks for reply. What I did was just click to download updater and saved to a folder on PC.

Then clicked on file. Instructions then said to plug in clip. I did and it connected to web and searched for updates, then downloaded and installed latest.

Far easier than these posted directions would imply. I would recommend they be rewritten in fact. Much less confusing just to download the installer and be guided.

Updated all three clips to most recent, automatically searched for and installed by updater. NBo problems at all noticed. Reset all settings to my preferences.Was afraid to update after reading the horror stories but now glad I did. And it was easy.

Great for you!  I think an issue with the Installer for some has been, sometimes it just doesn’t work.  And others of us don’t like having limited software of this type “always on,” consuming memory.  (Personally, I have found the manual installation of the software a simple and fast task.)

Important thing is, you’re up-to-date!

Yes I can appreciate those reasons. I am not opposed to manual updating and that is what I started out to do, but I didnt understand it and wanted it done NOW without another day or more trying to figure it out. Auto sounded easy and it was.

But now that I am updated I can take the time to study and understand the manual procedure so next time I might feel comfortable using it. I am totally new to mp3 players and it tok a few weeks to figure out the details enough to work with it. Have some things to do over now, the penalty to gain the benefits of expanded knowledge, but as you said , I am now updated and glad of it, and especially glad that so far no problems.

Very easy to manually update:  you just drag and drop the firmware “bin” file (unzipped from the SanDisk download) into the Clip’s top-most level (the level where the Clip has all its main folders–do not place the bin file into any of the folders) and then detach the Clip–it then will update and shut off. 

i tired to do the manual update and when i try to paste the .bin file into the root directory, it says that i don’t have permission to create files onto the clip…

help me?

I’m not sure about this but, are you on Windows Vista and, if so, are you signed in as the Administrator (or a user with Administrator authority), which might be necessary?

When I put the m300a.bin file in my root directory it just sits there underneath version.sdk. Did I do this wrong? I appreciate the help! I need it! When I unplug from the pc there is nothing. No screen. No power. No awesome music. Please help!

Two primary things will keep the update from happening: if the firmware is from the wrong revision family, or if the file is still compressed (zipped).

If the Clip will not respond when unplugged, try a soft reset: hold the power switch in the ON position for 15-20 seconds, release, and power up again.

You can have a look at your Sansa’s revision and firmware by going, on the Clip, to Settings > Info.  Download the correct firmware version for your device.  While connected, you can look at the version.sdk file, but do not modify the contents of this file.

µsansa

i tired to do the manual update and when i try to paste the .bin file into the root directory, it says that i don’t have permission to create files onto the clip…

help me?

You surely connected your player on MTP mode. turn on your player go in Setting>USB mode and select MSC. then try again

@paul_willy wrote:

help me?

You surely connected your player on MTP mode. turn on your player go in Setting>USB mode and select MSC. then try again

if you are in MTP mode and have WMP 11 installed you need to put the bin on the root of the internal memory. this is the way portable devices show up with WMP 11 installed.