Firmware updater problems

I am trying to update the firmware on my Clip+.  I download the SansaUpdaterInstall and run it.  I get a check on the internet connection test and the test of my version of Windows but the it crashes on the download of the latest Updater.  The message is “try again later.”

Any suggestions or explanations for this problem?

Forget the updater and follow the instructions in the “Sansa Clip+ Firmware Update” topic for doing a manual update. It’s fairly simple, and updates really don’t come out often enough to justify having the updater software running in the background all the time anyway.

See the firmware upgrade sticky at the top of the forum and do it manually.  Really, it is easy and fast to do, and does not consume computer resources as the Updater does.

Hi guys:

Thanks for the help.  I tried to dump the files onto the Sansa device name in Explorer but that was not recognized and so I created an “Upgrade” directory and dumped the files there.  Will that be OK?

Ken

I don’t believe so–they need to go in the root directory (the uppermost level) of the player–check the firmware upgrade instructions.  I haven’t had any issue with this, with my Clips set in the MSC USB mode. 

KenS wrote:

I tried to dump the files onto the Sansa device name in Explorer but that was not recognized . . .

1. Make sure you have first unzipped, or extracted the compressed .zip file.
    1. Also make sure you ae downloading the correct version for your particular player (v1 or v2).
    1. And as Miikerman indicated, do not create a separate folder in which to drop the extracted firmware file. It has to be placed in the root directory.

Thanks for your reply.  I was trying to do a drag and drop onto the device name, like I would do with an ordinary flash drive, but that did not work for some reason.  So I did a cut and paste from my desktop to the root on the Clip+.  The firmware was updated immediately.

I can’t even find the root directory on my clip+ anymore! After it started freezing up yesterday, now it won’t even show anything when I open it.  The screen is blank on my computer.  Nothing is left.  It shows that I have music in my internal memory, but nothing shows up.  I’ve tried updating the firmware too, but even that freezes.  I get the “Try again later” message like others do.

I’ll try the manual upload but doubt it will work.  Any suggestions?  I’m waiting for Sandisk to advise me on how to return it under warranty (it’s only 2 months old).  I’m tired of messing with it.  After it froze up yesterday, I fought it for a couple hours and I give up!  I’ll try the manual firmware updater.  Thanks.

Hairball wrote:

I can’t even find the root directory on my clip+ anymore! After it started freezing up yesterday, now it won’t even show anything when I open it.  The screen is blank on my computer.  Nothing is left.  It shows that I have music in my internal memory, but nothing shows up.

Switch your USB connection mode. Don’t use the Auto Defect setting.