Firmware update problem

I tried updating the firmware using the Sansa updater program.  It shows that there already is an update (.35).  Dowloads the update, seemingly on to the player, then instruct me to unplug the player.  I do so but when checking the version, the old version is still on there.  I tried updating on two different computers, same results.

Any suggestions?

Power cycle the player and see if the version number changes.

What is the current firmware version, out of curiousity?

I did try cycling on and off a couple of times, to no avail.

The current version on the player is .05 with the new version showing as .32

.32 (or was that .35?) sounds suspiciously like a Clip version, not a Clip+.

My guess is that the Firmware Updater hasn’t been modified yet to work for the Clip+.  Or the Clip+ isn’t identifying itself properly to the Firmware Updater / Sansa firmware servers.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 09-01-2009 11:47 AM

Could be.  I was surprised to see an update for a new product, but I just went with what the updater was telling me.  Also, the updater identified the product as a “CLIP” not a Clip +.

bikermanlax wrote:

Also, the updater identified the product as a “CLIP” not a Clip +.

Yep, so it sounds like the Updater is probably trying to pull down the firmware for the Clip.

The question then is whether a new version of the Updater is needed, or there’s something in the Clip+ that’s mis-identifying itself.

I assume that the updater checks for updates to the updater when it comes on.  So I guess there’s no updates to the updater.

Just wanted to give you guys an update regarding the Sansa Clip+ availability. I spoke with product management today and the Clip+ is available now at the online SanDisk store and in BestBuy and will be available at other retail stores 9/15. Sorry for the confusion as I know this is a highly anticipated product. There will be a new version of the Sansa Firmware Updater released before 9/15 that will support the Sansa Clip+. The most current firmware version for the Clip+ is 01.01.05.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta 

Message Edited by slotmonsta on 09-02-2009 01:45 PM

Sorry, Slotmonsta, but the stores have beaten you to the punch:  the Clip+ already is being sold by at least some Best Buy stores, as you may have seen in the forums …

:wink:

I bought mine at Best Buy last night.  I did have to ask for it.  They had no Clips at all on the floor, so it looked like they were gettingr ready to bring these new ones out.

Yes, please get in sync with your operations folks.

I was at BestBuy in Sausalito, CA last night and saw a whole stack of them in black, maroon and blue.

Clip+

Bought one and am using it now.

Good thing it’s being sold in the stores.   On the bestbuy website, all the 4gbs are listed as “backordered”.

Sansa Store says it’s in stock.  :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.sandisk.com/products/sansa-music-and-video-players/sandisk-sansa-clipplus-mp3-player-.aspx

The Sansa Store may be the only place to get a 2 or 8 gig right now.  Neither was shown on best buy’s website.

My Best Buy sales guy told me that BB won’t be getting the 8gb.  But who knows if he really knew …

I’m shocked!  Are your really saying that a Best Buy salesperson may not know what they are talking about!

I, too, bought a Sansa Clip+ at Best Buy last evening (9/1), and installed the Firmware Updater from Sandisk’s web site.  Now every time I connect the player I’m automatically notified that an update is available, I tell it to go ahead, it downloads something, claims it installed it into the player, I shut down the player, but when I turn it back on it’s still the old version of the firmware (01.01.05).

I’ve owned the older 2GB Sansa Clip for > a year and been happy with it.  Can’t say the same for the Clip+.  The packaging is diabolical, the device wouldn’t be recognized by my computer until I located a fine-print instruction to manually change the setting to “MSC”, the web sites you’re referred to in the sheet don’t exist.  I’ve wasted hours on this thing.

Why bother with the updater, in the name of all that’s holy? :neutral_face:

SanDisk stated here that the Updater has not yet been updated for the Clip+, as the Clip+ “is not being released” (or words to that effect) until 9-15.  SanDisk went on to note that the Updater will be updated by that point.

SanDisk stated here that the Updater has not yet been updated for the Clip+, as the Clip+ “is not being released” (or words to that effect) until 9-15.  SanDisk went on to note that the Updater will be updated by that point.

You have the most recent firmware.  When Updater states otherwise, I believe that it incorrectly thinks you have an original Clip installed, not yet having been programmed for the Clip+.