Problems with Sansa Clip+

My Sansa Clip+ has gone completely haywire. It freezes up whatever I do, the menus start moving slowly sideways, I can’t format the disk etc etc.

I’ve tried to update the system, but got a message that the installation failed. Thought I’d try a manual installation but I don’t know where the root directory on the Sanasa Clip is. When I click on the Sansa icon on my computer, the first screen I get is ‘Internal memory’ and when I click on that one, the various folders (Music etc) are shown. Well, now the only one that seems to be there is DevIcon (whatever that is), all the others seem to be gone.

I’ve tried ‘Format’ but the Clip just freezes up. I need to wipe the Clip completely clean and install a new system.

Help!

When I tried to do a manual update just now, by trying to drag the file m30pa to the Sansa Clip+, I got the message (translated from Swedish): ‘m30pa could not be placed on this unit. You don’t have the authority to create this object’. What does this mean?

@hubbe wrote:

Thought I’d try a manual installation but I don’t know where the root directory on the Sanasa Clip is. When I click on the Sansa icon on my computer, the first screen I get is ‘Internal memory’ and when I click on that one, the various folders (Music etc) are shown. Well, now the only one that seems to be there is DevIcon (whatever that is), all the others seem to be gone.

That _ is _ your root directory. Just drop the .bin file anywhere alongside (but not in) those folders.

Tried that but I got the error message: “m30pa could not be placed on this unit. You don’t have the authority to create this object.”

Do you know what caused this message?

You are trying to put the wrong firmware on. " m30pa.bin" is the firmware for the _ original _ Clip. You have a Clip+. You want to download and extract the firmware from here. When extracted, the file you will be placing in the root directory will be named " clppa.bin".

Follow the same procedure with this files and you should have no problems . . . at least with the installation of the firmware. It may or may not fix the initial issue you posted about.

Managed to get the right firmware in. Thanks. But the player is still acting erratically. It freezes up all the time, for example when I disconnect it from my computer, and songs that I’ve dragged-and-dropped from my computer to the Clip don’t show up on the menu. When I hook up the Clip to the computer again and look at the Music directory, all the songs are gone. Any ideas?

I just transferred some new songs to the Clip. While it was still hooked up to the computer I played one of the songs on the Clip in Winamp. That worked just fine, but when I clicked on another song, there was no reaction at all. I disconnected it from the computer and tried to play a song but I got the message ‘No music’. Hooked it up to the computer again and the songs were gone.

Now that you have the new firmware installed, have you tried to format the player again? You may not be able to get to the Format option in the Settings menu, so you may have to have Windows do it.

If this doesn’t help, I think your player has gone to the great electronic recycle collection center in the sky.