Sansa Clip+ showing "(root)" on some songs; does not play them.

I’ve had this one Sansa Clip+ for years now. It was freezing up on me so I updated the firmware on an old Win7 laptop (since Win10 won’t recognize it at all). At the same time, I deleted all the music on the microSD card and re-uploaded a newer, better-organized library. Same songs, better descriptions.

The Sansa Clip+ no longer freezes (yay) but on random songs will show:

(root)
(root)
Next:

in the display (boo). Doesn’t say what the next song is, just kind of derps out. There’s no rhyme or reason which songs are affected as far as I can tell.

All of the songs were working fine before the firmware/song update, and the changes I made to the songs were only to the filenames using the rename function, no metadata.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Hi @SanDiskoStu,

The Sansa® MP3 Player will support MP3, WAV, WMA, secure WMA, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, and
audiobook formats.

Check to verify if the audio file type is supported. If the file type is supported, make sure
that the file is not corrupted and that its license is up to date.

Please refer below link to check more information:

Hope information helps!!

So…like I said in my original post, the files ALL worked previously. Same files. Some new filenames, but same files. Now they do NOT work, after a firmware update.

Has no one else has seen this message before? :neutral_face:

Hello,

I appreciate that you have performed the troubleshooting steps.

Please contact SD Technical Support about this for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://kb.sandisk.com/app/ask/

I sent my question to SD Technical Support 3 weeks ago, received a Reference Number, but have not even received an email acknowledgement. I understand if there are delays, but has anyone else contacted Support successfully?

Hi @SanDiskoStu,

Please refer below link to contact respective team:

Thank you for replying!

What information do you need to help me with my issue? I am including the picture I took of the problem that I posted on the forum originally.

Hello SanDisk Support,

I am still waiting for a response for my issue; it has been 10 days since I have heard anything.

Please let me know what information you need from me to help resolve my issue? I am re-attaching the picture of the message I continue to get at times.

I’ve replied on the forums, sent an email via the link in this email, and am still waiting to hear something back.

Am I the only user that’s ever had this issue? Someone should know what the error message means…