What is best way to load DVD's to Fuze?

I despise SMC - it is not user friendly, because of this I have not made any attempts to download DVD’s to my Fuze. I have read through the forum, but am unsure what the best and easiest route would be to do this. With the new update, what would be the best way, least irritating way to accomplish this?

When I download DVD’s -what do I need to know about bit rates, megapixels, codecs,etc to do this?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Message Edited by lulubelle on 10-12-2008 12:50 PM

Try using Rhapsody to transfer your videos.  You dont need a subscription for this.

You need to rip your DVDs to MP4 / AVI format for the best results .  Then import the videos into the Rhapsody application.

Other than that you will need to use SMC.

Is Rhapsody (the software) only available to USA consumers? I went to the Rhaspody site, but I’m unable to download anything as I don’t have a USA IP address.

Is there a European/UK equivalent?

Thanks

Emms 

Sorry, Rhapsody is only for US.

As I thought.

Thanks for the speedy reply. :smiley: 

I read of another free program, but can’t remember which one it was, it didn’t work for me.  I tried to search for it, but don’t think I looked good enough, so you may want to search more.

I bought anydvdconverter and that works great.  I have 7 dvd movies on different cards (waiting for my 8gb to add more).  I’ve only had a few not convert and one didn’t even load (on mine or a coworkers computer).  I do have to use the anydvdconvert and then the SMC, but it works great. 

Delaug,

your stats are better than mine lol…I’ve tried about 9 times with anydvd…only two sucessfully. It’s pretty frustrating. I ■■■■ at computers, but can usually figure things out.

I’ve been pretty frustrated by the whole video thing! I guess I’'ll have to give up.Wanna buy some cards?LOL

I really enjoy the two movies that worked! JFK (and looks and sounds awesome. No audio lag,sharp clear pic, actually quite watchable. I have 108 music videos from youtube that are the same.

But every other attempt to download videos with multiple programs, from multiple sources,  have been an exercise in futility…hours spent waiting only to fail at various stages. 

I’ve copied a couple of dozen public domain movies from the internet archive…about 25% of downloads are unsucessful, usually at the smc stage. Every single one that make it suffer from audio lag.

If anyone wants to copy my dvds to my cards for reasonable fee, let me know.

As I’ve said before…Sandisk should forget about selling mp3s (Why would I pay for that?))on the cards and should sell MOVIES!

I thought Rhapsody was for music ONLY?

I never used SMC myself even thought I have downloaded the program… I use the Fuze for music exclusively at this point…  I have had the inkling to try it thought… But back to the SMC program…  I would give it a try… My sister got herself a fuze and the first day she had it she downloaded SMC and put some podcasts on her fuze then a few full length DVD’s using the same program… She usually has issues with this kind of stuff but had none with SMC even the first time use all worked fine for her…  Give it another go!  I think I would look funny using one of the big round Sherlock Holmes spy glasses looking at movies on the fuze with my eyes…  Someone in a white coat may take me away!  George 

the issue with SMC with me is that the convert button is grayed out. think it is becuz i have Win2k sp3 on both my rigs. will not upgrade the OS for the video. looking for an alternative to SMC, and Rhapsody too (which requires WinXp minimum).

I don’t know if anyone here knows  Nero Burn…  I have the program and it seems to be able to do a lot!  Though I never used it for ripping DVD’s…  Maybe someone here can confirm this will work for noki with his OS? I have win XP with service patch 3. George

@ickster wrote:

Delaug,

your stats are better than mine lol…I’ve tried about 9 times with anydvd…only two sucessfully. It’s pretty frustrating. I ■■■■ at computers, but can usually figure things out.

Did you use anydvdconverter and then SMC?  I do mine as a Customized file avi (upper right hand corner) on anydvd and then SMC takes it.  Not all movies work, of course, but the majority has.  In anydvd I Open DVD, choose the longest file (I don’t want the little things, unless it’s an extra, then maybe).   Under DVD Options, I change the Audio Lanauge to 128 - en ac3 (5.1)  (most of the times I check to make sure it’s english).   Video codec is mpeg4, size is 320x240, bitrate is 768.  Audio codec is mp3, bitrate is 192. Then it seems to work for me.

Thanks for the hints, I’ll try again, checking those settings.

Thanks Geroge-W for your response. I am able to convert any video to MP4 using a host of apps. I am just not able to get my Fuze to see it. read somewhere SMC (and probably Rhapsody) codes the metadata of the MP4 file so the Fuze can see and play the file. I have D & D my MP4 files to the Video folder of the Fuze in both MSC and MTP modes. Fuze does not see the file to play it. But it is there when you connect to a computer. It plays fine on my computer BTW, both from my hard drive and the Fuze when it is connected.

Can anyone upload a short video file that they are able to play on their Fuze for me to download and analyze?? Perhaps I can take it apart to see what the Fuze is looking for, and do a workaround so we can skip the SMC convert/transfer bit. kinda like where we can overwrite the genre of a audio mp3 files to Audiobook so the Fuze sees it as such verses a plain-jane mp3 file, and therefore able to resume where one leaves off, or start from the beginning of the file.

Thanks, Noki. 

The SanDisk Sansa is a line of flash memory-based digital audio players and portable media players produced by SanDisk. and here is a brief review of Sansa Fuze:
Size: 3.1 x 1.9 x 0.3 in
Capacities: 2GB, 4GB, 8GB (microSD memory slot)
Screen: 1.9", 64k color, 224x176 pixel
Audio: MP3, WMA, WAV, AA
Video: Converted MPEG-4 20FPS
Battery: 24 hours audio / 5 hours video

As sansa Fuze only support MP4 Video files, so if you want to put DVD Movie on Sansa Fuze or extract background music from DVD Movie to play on Sansa Fuze, you need to convert DVD to MP4 for Sansa Fuze and here is a quick guide about how to put DVD Movie on Sansa Fuze

supermaxmonkey wrote:
The SanDisk Sansa is a line of flash memory-based digital audio players and portable media players produced by SanDisk. and here is a brief review of Sansa Fuze:
Size: 3.1 x 1.9 x 0.3 in
Capacities: 2GB, 4GB, 8GB (microSD memory slot)
Screen: 1.9", 64k color, 224x176 pixel
Audio: MP3, WMA, WAV, AA
Video: Converted MPEG-4 20FPS
Battery: 24 hours audio / 5 hours video

As sansa Fuze only support MP4 Video files, so if you want to put DVD Movie on Sansa Fuze or extract background music from DVD Movie to play on Sansa Fuze, you need to convert DVD to MP4 for Sansa Fuze and here is a quick guide about how to put DVD Movie on Sansa Fuze

To convert my personal DVDs for use on my PC, I use, and recommend, FairUse Wizard 2. I’m currently using FuzeVidz to resize my movies and create another movie version before dragging-and-dropping them to my Sansa Fuze (while connected to my PC).