Unable to load videos on to my Fuze

I decided to find a better toolchain for converting dvd’s for my Fuze.

I downloaded Any Video Converter, and converted the dvd to an AVI file, but when I try and import the avi file into SMC, it tells me that the codec used is unsupported at this time.

Other forum posts suggest installing K-Lite Codec pack. Uhm, considering thats known for spyware and viruses, lets not do that.

So, considering that Any Video Converter is the most common suggestion for gettind dvd’s onto the Fuze, how do you actually do it?

@milambar wrote:

I decided to find a better toolchain for converting dvd’s for my Fuze.

I downloaded Any Video Converter, and converted the dvd to an AVI file, but when I try and import the avi file into SMC, it tells me that the codec used is unsupported at this time.

Other forum posts suggest installing K-Lite Codec pack. Uhm, considering thats known for spyware and viruses, lets not do that.

So, considering that Any Video Converter is the most common suggestion for gettind dvd’s onto the Fuze, how do you actually do it?

Try this… Scrap them both for now. Install Rhapsody, but dont sign up for or subscribe to anything. Rhapsody will convert and add the videos using Rhapsody.

Unfortunatly, I’m in the UK, and as a result, Rhapsody won’t allow me to download the software.

AHHH. Well then. All I can tell you is toCheck out this thread. I dont have problems with Any-Video-Converter and SMC, so I dont know what to tell you. There are a lot of work arounds suggested there.

I too am having difficulty in figuring this out.  I downloaded Any Converter and ran it in demo mode and converted a small piece of the DVD to .WMC format.  I tried to convert with SMC but is was not a recognized format.

What is the accepted format that SMC wants in order to convert?  Does anybody know this?  I am just about ready to throw in the towel and throw the thing in the garbage and go to iPod.

I meeant WMV format in my earlier post.

I have zero interest in watching video on a screen that small so I have no direct experience, but I believe you need .avi files to feed SMC.

Tenzip is correct… I used .avi format from anydvdconverter for the SMC tow ork.

Initially I though video would be silly on such a small screen.

It really can be pretty fun.

My opinion is the files are best when 10 minutes or under.

converting a full length feature movie seems ridiculous.

Also, since a dvd rip to avi of a feature movie runsa bout 700 megs, and SMC tends to double or triple THAT size after conversion, you end up with 1.5-2 gigs per movie.  Obviously that’s not going to be something you do much of.

Generally avi works ok going into SMC.  But avi is just a container for MPEG-4 and there’s probably a lot of variation in the actual codecs.

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

Initially I though video would be silly on such a small screen.

It really can be pretty fun.

My opinion is the files are best when 10 minutes or under.

converting a full length feature movie seems ridiculous.

Also, since a dvd rip to avi of a feature movie runsa bout 700 megs, and SMC tends to double or triple THAT size after conversion, you end up with 1.5-2 gigs per movie.  Obviously that’s not going to be something you do much of.

Generally avi works ok going into SMC.  But avi is just a container for MPEG-4 and there’s probably a lot of variation in the actual codecs.

I watched some video podcasts when I got mine, and in the 10-12 minute range they seemed to work fine, no audio video sync issues. I stopped because it would take almost as long to convert one to the Fuze as it did to watch it! :smiley: