DVD Movies on Fuze and SMC

I used to just be able to pop a DVD into my computer and rip the video using DVD Decrypter. This hasnt been working with newer DVDs for some reason. It won’t get past 0% before it gives me a logical device error. I cant put my OWNED (that I bought and payed for at a Best Buy) on my Fuze for my personal use. I have tried multiple computers and multiple DVDs. Hancock and WALL-E both are sold with digital copy softwarer or whatever but I didnt pay the extra for that considering I could (used to be able to) just copy it from the DVD. I have tried multiple DVDs, DVD Rippers, Computers, nothing works except my older DVDs. I just ripped Underworld to put on my Fuze. That worked fine. Now I am having trouble with SMC. I also used to be able to put the *.vob file right in SMC and it would convert it away, but now it just doesnt start converting it and tells me the file failed without a reason. It even started doing this with every video. Once again I tried multiple computers, but had no success. Please help!

I am only having trouble with longer video files, like DVDs. 

PS: Is the audio lag normal? And will that ever get fixed? (SMC Issue)

Scratch that… still not working at all.

Welcome to the world of Sansa. The powers that be have assured us all that these issues are indeed being addressed, that many entities are working on it, the problems are many, and it won’t be tomorrow. Best bet is to go through the board and pick through the many posts and follow the instructions as best you can. Every single person trying to download has gone through the very same thing. You don’t ride alone Cowboy!

Me I’ve had the best luck with both anyvidconverter and the dvddecrypter you mention.

Sure is frustrating isn’t it?

Message Edited by ickster on 12-29-2008 06:06 PM

I’ve also seen it said to pay attention to the numbers, but don’t ask me.

from anythingbutipod…

General #0
Complete name : C:\Users\EnzoTen[Desktop](FreemattandGrace.Com)\WAZ.MineToRemember.SansaP layer.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
Format/Family : RIFF
File size : 20.0 MiB
PlayTime : 3mn 26s
Bit rate : 812 Kbps
Writing application : InterVideo

Video #0
Codec : DivX 5
Codec/Family : MPEG-4
Codec profile : Unknown
Codec settings/Packe : No
Codec settings/BVOP : Yes
Codec settings/QPel : No
Codec settings/GMC : 0
Codec settings/Matri : Default
Bit rate : 667 Kbps
Width : 224 pixels
Height : 176 pixels
Display Aspect ratio : 1.273
Frame rate : 20.000 fps
Resolution : 8 bits
Interlacement : Progressive

Audio #0
Codec : MPEG-1 Audio layer 3
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Bit rate mode : CBR
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
Writing library : Xing (new)

So the problem is ripping with DVDDecryptor? If so, how is that Sansa’s fault?

I’ve also had increasing problems ripping DVDs. They intentionally put errors in sectors these days to cause problems with rippers. The software isn’t getting updated, because its a violation of the DMCA to distribute software to rip a copy-protected DVD (and all commercial DVDs are copy-protected).

The “digital copy” is nearly always a copy-protected iPod-only format…so yeah, “welcome to the world of Sansa”.

Still…you know what you can get for around $60-75?

A lightweight portable DVD player with a screen 3-4 times the size of the Fuze’s.

They play all Region 1 DVD’s without any conversion whatsoever.

Frankly I’m pretty pis*ed that my fuze won’t make espresso.  POS.

This is likely due to the COPY PROTECTION on the DVDs, not actually SMC.  That is, the DVD is specifically designed to prevent you from making a copy in the manner you are doing.  This is probably not Sandisk’s fault.

@mindlessmachina wrote:
This is likely due to the COPY PROTECTION on the DVDs, not actually SMC.  That is, the DVD is specifically designed to prevent you from making a copy in the manner you are doing.  This is probably not Sandisk’s fault.

Exactly! New movies (Especially ones from this Holiday Season’s new releases) have a much bigger more complex DRM than I have ever seen. I have not been able to crack it yet. There is nothing Sandisk can do in this regard.

I blame this silly problem on no one, bdb. I just want to watch the movies I own on my sansa. I was just popping this question out there to see if anyone had a solution to my ripping problem. 

What is sansa’s fault is SMC. It crashes everytime I try to put any type of movie on my device. I somehow got a youtube video on there but SMC crashed near the end and I had to restart my computer. I was very surprized when it showed up and played on my fuze. Too bad it wont work for my other videos. 

I want my Red vs Blue back!

try the latest DVDFab HD Decrypter (freeware) to rip your personal commercial DVD’s. DVD Decrypter has been discontinued (no updates) for over a year. DVDFab is updated every week or so.

the trick is to use SMC or WinAVI to actually get it onto your Fuze.

bon chance. 

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

A lightweight portable DVD player with a screen 3-4 times the size of the Fuze’s.

I have had this same thought on the portable DVD players! :wink:

I’ve actually recently had problems ripping DVD’s for my iPod (yes, i have one, don’t throw anything at me!).  I have Xilisoft, which used to work great, and now doesn’t. So I haven’t even DARED trying to put a DVD on my Fuze (well, technically, my duaghter’s Fuze).

I’ll be scoping out this board frequently, hoping someone found a way!

I didn’t realize the newer ones had that problem with the DMR… :angry: 

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

And carry around the DVD’s?  That’s why some people get a MP3 player, to carry around all their music (or as much as it will allow) instead of a CD player and 30 CDs (keeps the car cleaner too:wink:).  And I actually still have good enough eyes to enjoy it on my Fuze.  If I did purchase a portable one, I would find one that I could plug my fuze in.  This way I can have 10 movies on one little card instead of carrying around all the DVD’s.

About the audio/video lag.  That is not an SMC issue.  It’s a little machine issue.  iPods have the same problem.  It’s the conversion that does it for some reason.