We all got screwed!

I purchased two Sansa m240’s last xmas.  I really enjoyed putting songs on them in the first few months. Then they both started to act up and I couldn’t get anywhere with them.  So, I go on their web page, and I gotta tell ya, not very helpful at all; they didn’t even reconize the 240 series.  I mean they were only 3 months old!?!?!  So after much researching on their website and trying to read the “so-called” user guide, I became extremely frustrated and told the kids they’d have to live with them they way they are. 

I just stumbled across this interesting website by googling for another one.  This has basically answered some of my questions. But the biggest one I have is:

When I received the m240’s they recommended registering the players on their website. So the good consumer that I am, I did as told.   I even received Reg. ID’s.  So, why couldn’t the company have contacted me by now to let me know that there is a problem with these players and a way to possibly fix them??? 

So, like the subject line says,   “We all got screwed.”

I feel the same way.   My M260 was working fine until I updated it with their extremely buggy new firmware and they don’t have any way for us to revert back.   There is no support and now the Mp3 player is darned annoying to use.

ITA!!!  I bought 3 of these, and one needed to be exchanged right away.  Out of the 4, only 1 is still working.  When you turn them on they only display the name of the player and they won’t do anything.  What a rip off.  I was afriad of that happening again if I bought cheap ones again for my kids for Christmas this year, but at least the Phillips 8 GB MP3 players have a reset button if it stops working.  Wish SanDisk was as smart (RCA too because we had 4 including exchanges last year as well, and only 1 of those is still working as well :angry: ).

why dont you guys just call 866.sandisk and see waht they will do for you, instead of just setteling on a bad experience. Give them a chance to try to fix it.

WE all did get screwed, I just talked to 866 Sandisk and if its out of warranty and locked, there are no alternatives for repair, this speaks volumes about this company. The mean time to failure must be approximately one year, then you are out of luck. My only option is to NEVER by another Sandisk product and spread the word.  I am sure the company cares little about the loss of m250s customers. Pathetic.

are you telling me that if you have 30 dollar player working for a year and then it fails after that, you hold it against the company? If it fails prior to a year and I dont call sandisk, thats my fault… not theirs.

Just my 2 cents.

**Enigma, I don’t see how you being a Sandisk/Sansa “Apologist” helps us Users when we are forced to resort to coming to a User’s Forum, after finding SanDisk to be useless and no help. It is never OK to produce junk, no matter how little it costs, but particularly when it’s from an industry-leading memory manufacturer like SanDisk.

Where do you get the “$30” figure for an M250, and, besides that,  where do you get the idea that it’s perfectly OK to produce a product that should just be thrown away when it dies, based on some spreadsheet-jockey’s “Cost/Benefit Analysis” that only figures in the benefit to the manufacturer, and disregards their consumers?

How old are you? Probably young enough to think it’s OK to fill our landfills with  poorly designed electronics that leech toxic chemicals into our water-supplies, again based on a  cost/benefit analysis done by SanDisk, on whether it’s “worth it” to them to bother supporting their consumers. (Reminds me of the Ford Pinto scandal…lucky for us our Sansa’s can’t blow up!)

I’m glad I came here first, and have been reading through the posts, BEFORE I decided on risking my money on SanDisk Sansa’s. I was all set to buy an M250 2 gig model until I read these posts that document there is no resurrecting a dead one.

At least SanDisk is now bothering to provide the Recovery Tool utility for use with reviving their new models, so maybe SanDisk is finally coming up to speed on supporting their users, and not filling our landfills with irrepairable junk that not only enrages and rips off their customers, but gravely damages SanDisk’s reputation as well.

For you frustrated M-series owners of dead units, …at the risk of me sounding like an apologist too…I’d like to mention that even hugely successful devices like Blackberries have had their “self-destruct” models too. Our Fortune100 corporation has been using Blackberries since the beginning, and since I spent 10 years in our I.T. department, I dealt with the problems personally. The early ones were programmed using the C++ development language, and were generally solid as a rock for years. But then Blackberry moved to their newer models being programmed using Java, at which point we saw immediate problems, just like these MP3 players are exhibiting, …of units that worked fine one day, but are locked up and dead the next, for no user-caused reason at all.

Fortunately, Blackberry also provided a Recovery Tool that we in the I.T. department would use to revive these dead ones, as SanDisk is now doing with their new models, and, thankfully, that Recovery tool worked every time for us. I can only guess that there is some internal chip-limitation in the older Sansa models such as the M-series, that does not lend them to being software-recoverable.**
I hope the new model’s Recover Tool is as successful as the Blackberry’s was, because plenty of owners of the new models are having the same problems as you M-owners.

So, yes, it’s a “Live and Learn” engineering and programming scenario, but Enigma, it’s not OK to just blow off the customer with a “Too bad, just throw it away, you only paid $xx.xx for it, so what do you expect” attitude.  It might be something a disreputable Chinese generic could get away with, but not SanDisk.

Message Edited by Stenn on 01-15-2008 03:48 PM

Message Edited by Stenn on 01-15-2008 04:03 PM

fair enough.

Im just in the frame of mind that, if i spend X amount of dollars on what im sure we can all agree is a bottom line players I cant expect it to work flawlesy for years on end. This has just been my experience with products in general. Kind of the old saying “You get what you pay for” type of instance.

but by all means, I see where your comming from.

I just think its silly to dispute it, when the company says we have X amount of time on the warranty. Every company that comes to mind has a certain amount of time on the warranty and make case by case decisions when replacing outside of the warranty.

Just because we are reading about all the issues on this forum, does not mean much. This is a place where people come to talk about the issues they have had and do google searches because a problem has arisen. This is not taking into account the 10s of thousands that are working just fine for years on end. (I’ve had my m200 for a year and a half now, my brother is the one that actually uses it though)

Considering that this is the oldest player that sandisk is still producing and selling like hotcakes, they must be doing something right.

I absolutely think they’re doing something right with this “old” M-series, compared to the new ones, and that’s exactly why I was ready to buy one until I started reading all these “my model M2xx is dead” posts.

Specifically, I want something that runs on a universally available AA or AAA battery, and not a “throw-away” device like the Express or Clip, that has to be sent in to SanDisk to have the lithium battery replaced when it dies (nobody’s going to do that, they’ll throw it away and buy another one, which is of course exactly what Sandisk would love).  And I’m not interested in a model that depends on some proprietary battery I have to pay $20 or $30 for (how much are the new C-series batteries…anybody know?). My ideal model would be the “Express,” IF it used a standard AAA battery, and IF they had a Recovery Utility that worked on that model. Unfortunately, it’s starting to look like the Philips SA2325 fills all those requirements, but I would rather buy Sandisk.

But you make a great point that I wish there was some way to investigate…i.e…how many, what percentage, of any of these…M-series, C-series, etc., are actually the ones we end up hearing about here?  I’ve just about scared myself off of buying anything at all because I started my buying decisions with investigating this User’s site first, rather than just diving in and blowing money on something first, and THEN find out how flaky it is.

personaly, the only gadget I have ever owned for more then a years time is my laptop and MAYBE my cell phone(jsut cuz i grow accustomed to it). In a perfect world our devices would last forever.

I think the X amount of dollars charged for an m200 series players and the warranty of 1 year is good enough. I know that if it fails within that period of time, i can get sandisk to send em a new one (assuming i didnt physically break it myself of course) But this is just me, being a tech savy guy that I am, I like to switch it up. The only players that sandisk has older then the m200 are the Digital audio player and the e100 and companion. None of which are still on todays market. They even have players like the c100 and expess that were released AFTER the m200 and dont sell as well.

Like I said, maybe its just me, but i think the price requested vs the time warrantied is fair. If i want something to last me a long time, ill invest a bigger buck into it. Again, just my 2 cents.

Enigma.

Based on your logic, unless your laptop and cell phone are top of the line they should have failed by now. Then you would throw them away and get new ones. The fact is as consumers we have to demand more. Whether you pay $30 or $300 the hard earned money you spend should get you a product that serves your needs until you decide that you want something new. And if it doesn’t you should have some recourse with the manufacturer. Just because manufacuturers have a tolerance for defective units per batch, does not mean that you as a consumer should have one. You are only buying one.  BTW my Sansa M250 has lasted a year and some change. I expect it to last a lot longer. I like it and don’t want to buy something new. I can spend that $30 on something else.

I can somewhat agree with you. I completely understand where you comming from. I guess its because of my “tech-savy” ways that leads me to lean more towards the “get over it and get a new one” attitude.

In a perfect world our gadgets will never break, unfortunately for us…we do not live in this perfect world and when devices fail outside of the warranty, i think its silly to get all worked up about it. Being an informed consumer is the best route to take, and as an informed consumer, I know that it is somewhat rare for a company to stand by its product 100% for the lifetime ownership of said product.

Furthermore, the companies at hand… like sony or microsoft for example, give us (the consumer) the facts that we need to make an educated decision.

This topic can go on and on about how people feel and the way we WANT these companies to run and represent said products, but the fact of the matter is that we as consumers need to step up and make educated purchases. If company xyz doesn’t back its product the way we want them too, then we need to not buy xyz’s product.

Getting everyone to follow suit is the challenge.

Message Edited by Enigma on 01-18-2008 04:03 PM

Hey,  Mine did not work.  Wouldn’t paly songs on the m240 could see songs from the pc. Called SANSA and they were very helpful.  Just reformated and it works.  I think I was removing from the pc before I got all the songs to sync.  Try reformating: Right click start, explore, highlight sansa folder, right click sansa to reformat (do not do quick), wait until done. remove from pc, turn off the sansa, plug back into pc, use windows media to sync. voila.  NOTE THAT ALL MUSIC FILES ARE ERASED DURING REFORMAT.  Good luck

come on, all, We just bought a bad mp3 player. Enigma is just a tech. If you guys pick a look on Enigma’s replies , most are fair enough. (most posts suggest to replace theirs M200 S if you own it less than one year)

As a tech, he is “lucky” on such a M200 S.

In my views, M200 is a bad product. Selling such a bad thing to his customer, such a horrible experience to his money maker, i dont know what Sandisk is thinking about.

I will NOT buy anything from sandisk, i will suggest my friends not buy anything marked sandisk. thats all.

leechon wrote:

come on, all, We just bought a bad mp3 player. Enigma is just a tech. If you guys pick a look on Enigma’s replies , most are fair enough. (most posts suggest to replace theirs M200 S if you own it less than one year)

As a tech, he is “lucky” on such a M200 S.

In my views, M200 is a bad product. Selling such a bad thing to his customer, such a horrible experience to his money maker, i dont know what Sandisk is thinking about.

I will NOT buy anything from sandisk, i will suggest my friends not buy anything marked sandisk. thats all.

you caught me. I’m a spy.

we are getting screwed $50 for a 2 gig m250 it breaks a week after i buy it i paid $10 for my old 250 meg mp3  non a sandisk brand one but a cheap no name brand and it lasted 4 years even thou i sat on it multiple times and it went through the washing machine i just put some music  on the sandisk and poof gone to the winds

linkx wrote:

we are getting screwed $50 for a 2 gig m250 it breaks a week after i buy it i paid $10 for my old 250 meg mp3  non a sandisk brand one but a cheap no name brand and it lasted 4 years even thou i sat on it multiple times and it went through the washing machine i just put some music  on the sandisk and poof gone to the winds

then why dont you get it replaced by sandisk? unless you bought a refurb. (which you can’t really complain about breaking, its a refurb.)

I have to echo some of the frustration of others who bought the M200 series player.  I bought it primarily to use to listen to audiobooks.  The package even says it supports audible format.  It practically says, “use me for audiobooks!”

Plus, my wife bought the same player a year earlier and loves it.  I started having problems almost immediately (FF and Rwd doesn’t work on long audiobook tracks.  Resume function doesn’t work on long audiobook tracks…Audiobook tracks are often over 70 minutes long, so this can be a major pain in the butt)  I contacted SanDisk customer service (who actually are very nice and timely, by the way) and they gave me all kinds of fixes to try.  None of which worked.  After trying customer service three times, I gave up.

Two month later I found this forum and found out that my problems with audiobooks were very common and that SanDisk acknowledged them as such with other people on the forum!!  The customer service reps could have at least been honest with me and I could have returned it to the store within the first 30 days.  By the time I figured this out, the return period to the store was over, so now I’m stuck with it.  Apparently the only reason my wife’s player works so well is that she has an older firmware version 3.x.x,  and it appears that SanDisk has no plans to fix any of the problems with the 4.x.x firmware version.  

This is frustrating to say the least.  SanDisk should use these forums to keep the owners apprised of upcoming fixes, if there ever will be any. And If they know a player has certain bugs or shortcomings, they should let you know up front instead of having you reformat it 10 times on three different computers.

There are a lot of things to like about my m250, but as a whole the product shows a woeful lack of design savvy. Principally, in my view, the problems stem from inadequate programming engineering.

My iRiver products support flashing your own firmware, any firmware version you care to. Not so with my m250. With my m250, I might be able to “upgrade” (a crapshoot), or I might have no choice if I have the automatic firmware updater installed on my computer, but I can’t “downgrade” or change my 2.x firmware to 4.x firmware, etc. I’m stuck with whatever nutty firmware I happen to have, in general, and I say “nutty” by virtue of the behavior I’m seeing. When I look at my files and directory structure in Windows Explorer, I see different directory structures and folder names depending on which computer I’m on or even which USB port I use with my main computer. I can see 500 MB worth of files and still get a report that there isn’t enough room for a 100 MB file. I can’t even get a total of file sizes in Explorer because of the firmware insufficiencies. What could be more obvious than the necessity to have a consistent view of your directories and files? The iRiver products I have support directory drag and drop, and navigation of directory structures on the player, but Sandisk blew this off, saying that organization by tags would be sufficient. The result is a rats nest.

I will be looking to different manufacturers for my next MP3 player, and do my homework. I did some on this player, but not enough. And Enigma, I find your attitude reprehensible. I for one do not subscribe to the “you get what you pay for” motto. I’m not a cheat, but I am frugal and don’t like throwing my money away. Worse than the fact that a product lasts a lot less than I’d like is the fact that such a product often consumes my time and aggravates me.

Message Edited by Muse on 04-16-2008 05:30 AM

Message Edited by Muse on 04-16-2008 05:31 AM

Enigma wrote:

There are a lot of things to like about my m250, but as a whole the product shows a woeful lack of design savvy. Principally, in my view, the problems stem from inadequate programming engineering.

My iRiver products support flashing your own firmware, any firmware version you care to. Not so with my m250. With my m250, I might be able to “upgrade” (a crapshoot), or I might have no choice if I have the automatic firmware updater installed on my computer, but I can’t “downgrade” or change my 2.x firmware to 4.x firmware, etc. I’m stuck with whatever nutty firmware I happen to have, in general, and I say “nutty” by virtue of the behavior I’m seeing. When I look at my files and directory structure in Windows Explorer, I see different directory structures and folder names depending on which computer I’m on or even which USB port I use with my main computer. I can see 500 MB worth of files and still get a report that there isn’t enough room for a 100 MB file. I can’t even get a total of file sizes in Explorer because of the firmware insufficiencies. What could be more obvious than the necessity to have a consistent view of your directories and files? The iRiver products I have support directory drag and drop, and navigation of directory structures on the player, but Sandisk blew this off, saying that organization by tags would be sufficient. The result is a rats nest.

I will be looking to different manufacturers for my next MP3 player, and do my homework. I did some on this player, but not enough. And Enigma, I find your attitude reprehensible. I for one do not subscribe to the “you get what you pay for” motto. I’m not a cheat, but I am frugal and don’t like throwing my money away. Worse than the fact that a product lasts a lot less than I’d like is the fact that such a product often consumes my time and aggravates me.

Message Edited by Muse on 04-16-2008 05:30 AM

Message Edited by Muse on 04-16-2008 05:31 AM

We can agree to disagree then.

I owned an m200 at one time or another, the product came out in 2005. I don’t expect great things out of a player that looks and feels like a toy. Its a 20-30 dollar mp3 player that will last me a year, maybe more if im lucky.

Technology is at a point where the expectation is that we will want to uprade  sooner then later. Cars for example will last 10-15 years, yet the average person replaces it around every 5 or so.

So, in my reprehensible view, you know what your getting into from the start. As with ANY product, you read what it says. It will tell me that it has a 10 year warranty, I know that I will ( at the very least) get that much working time out of it. Anything else is considered a plus.

Sure, I can understand product pride and wanting to stand behind a product that will last you forever. But thats just un-reasonable, especially when a company is so big that its considered a name brand.

Its all bound to fail at one point or another, thats technology. Things were designed as not to last, so we can go out and buy the latest and greatest. Its just one of the many ways we pay for living in the free land of America.

Message Edited by Enigma on 04-16-2008 08:48 AM