We all got screwed!

Actually, I’ve found that the majority of my technical devices have seemed to last indefinitely. There are certainly exceptions, but usually the reason I set aside or discard, recycle, etc. most technical things in my life is because they have become obsolete and lost their usefulness because the technology has left them behind. For instance, even the VCRs I bought around 1989 are still working fine. I’ve had each repaired, one possibly more than once, but they work OK. I just rarely care to use them anymore because I prefer to record TV digitally, and usually in HD. I have never had a TV go bad on me.

I have two iRiver CD/CDRW players MP3 players, which work OK, but I prefer to use either the m250 or either of my iRiver H1xx player/recorders. They have way more capacity.

I’ve bought over 10 hard drives and never had a failure. I figure I certainly will one day, and plan for it, but I so far have avoided failure due to my having upgraded for more capacity before failure occurs.

I did have one receiver fail on me out of 5-6.

Never had a failed CPU, one failed motherboard (happened around 5 weeks ago), and it destroyed two video cards and a PSU, the first of those to have died for me. I’ve had two video card fans die, not the cards. Never had RAM go bad. I had troubles with my Zip drives, but just about everybody did. It was lame technology. Never had an optical drive go bad, CD burners, readers, DVD burner, reader. Floppy drives are not a robust technology. I’ve had one or two die, many floppy disks go bad, it’s just the technology, the design of that specific component and its media.

In my experience, most electronics last. They don’t die like cars die. Cars simply fall apart after a while. You hear of a car that has 300,000 miles on it and you assume it’s about to die.

Message Edited by Muse on 04-16-2008 06:58 PM

Message Edited by Muse on 04-16-2008 06:59 PM

Just adding my 2 cents.  I have 2 240s.  The first one I bought is now several years old- I think 3.  It works fine with audible and overdrive books which is what I bought it for.  My second is a few months old and came from Woot.  That just stopped playing.  It looks fine on the computer and the files all show but it won’t play.  My guess is that the majority of people writing here had bad ones but the thousands without problems aren’t represented.

On the other hand, my iriver T20 broke in a year and my old ifp is still going strong.  Maybe the more recent flash players are  poorer quality ones. 

Yup I pretty much agree.  Too bad because my older e models were great (despite the ability to make playlists which I ***** about incessantly to Sandisk and of course they never got around to making a firmware update for that). 

After being a proud owner of 2 e140’s and 1 e130 (512 MB version) I am very sad to say that the m240 refurbished model I got from buy.com for $12 for my sister-in-law has been an utter dissapointment.  Since day 1 it has not functioned, never actually “turned on” as I began loading it with tunes for her before even turning it on.  About 800 megs into the 1gig capacity, it gave an error “file path too deep.'”  After disconnecting the player from the XP computer, it simply would not turn on, no taking-the-battery-out trick and holding-the-menu button for 1 min, 2 min helped at all.  When initally connected the device showed up in my computer as an audio device… now, when connected, it shows up as 2 separate flash drives, E & F, and F of just gives an error message “please insert a disc”.  It looks kind of like my older e models but they actually have removable SD card storage so there’s a reason for them to be recognized as 2 devices.  The m240 is unconceivable why it would do that… whatever.  Anyway, when Vista tries to format E, it has an unknown capacity and gives errors.  XP (from 2 different computers) hangs, and hangs, and won’t format the disk no matter what.  Even through Computer Disk Mgt. which was suggested by Sandisk tech support.  All in all I am very disapointed and have to go through buy.com’s hokey return policy now for a refurbished unit that should have worked “like new” out of the box.  I am always considered myself to be a faithful Sandisk customer and truly love my e model players but I made a big mistake trying to purchase this M model on the cheap for my sis.  She’s super bummed and I look like an ■■■■■… thanks Sandisk.  You really know how to fork up an otherwise good thing.

Please refrain from using profanity on the forums

Message Edited by Twistedaura on 05-07-2008 03:50 PM

why do u think it was refurbished in the first place? Don’t blame SanDisk for you buying a refurbished player (which normally means that the device was broken before, hence returned, and some guy who can turn on a computer thinks he knows how to fix the device and then have it re-sold)