Vista won't install MTP driver for Sansa e250

My laptop running Vista won’t install the MTP driver for my Sansa e250.  Although it will work in MSC mode, I can’t use my Rhapsody account to upload music to the player unless it is in MTP mode.  Does anyone know how to get Vista to recognize and install the player in MTP mode?  It’s so frustrating because they have the videos on the Sandisk site where they are using Vista and the device in MTP mode, so there has to be a way to do it. 

Re-install Windows Media Player 11 from  the Micro$oft monolith. That’s where the MTP drivers are.

Where is the download button?  When I go there all I see is the download for XP and when I attempt it it says it doesn’t need it because the latest is on my computer.

Perhaps you already have WMP 11?

Try looking through Microsoft’s site for MTP Porting Kit. 

I am having the same exact issue.  I have player 11.  I downloaded the MTP Porting Kit and the hotfix that is mentioned on #10 of issues regarding e200 series and I am still having the issues.  I can’t find out how to unistall and reinstall media player 11 which everyone is suggesting to do for my VISTA computer.  PLEASE HELP US!!!

Just try reinstalling: I looked and couldn’t find any way to remove it completely.
There are also several “fixes” for WMP.

I would say first try different USB ports- it might just be getting a bad connection.

I just use MSC, it’s SOOOO much Easier!!

Good luck!

You can try the most basic, actually the Microsoft-recommended fix:

With the Sansa connected, first selecting MTP mode under Settings > USB Mode > MTP and plugging in, go into the Device Manager and find the troublesome device with its yellow triangle.

Uninstall the device.

This is an important one: reboot the PC with the Sansa disconnected.  

Once your PC is stable and happy, plug in the Sansa again, and see if it appears in Computer / My Computer as a media player.  It will be listed under “other devices” with a pretty icon like your e200.

Go ahead, I’ll wait…

Success?  If not, search this board (the search box is your friend!) for fixup.zip and the associated thread.  This can be the hot ticket with Vista.

The problem on the Microsoft end is that when Vista (I call it Windows ME II) came about, that they integrated WiMP11 very tightly into the OS, and wrenching on that application can involve brain surgery.  Normally, with XP (yes, I know that others are fighting WiMP11 as we speak, so I’ll try to help you too), you can go into the Add / Remove programs screen, uninstalling WiMP 11 and the associated (and often forgotten) Runtime Environment for it, then download and reinstall WiMP11.

From this point, the application should recognize your Sansa like it should have in the first place.

Hey, all this MTP hullaballoo is Microsoft’s brainchild!  You’d think it could repair itself when not being able to establish an MTP communications session with a supported device, but they thought otherwise.  In an ideal world, I’d pop a splash screen up, announce the problem, and ask if you’d like to try and repair the issue.  Oh well. 

Let me know how your travails go!  Good luck.  It takes a little time and patience, but once the system is recognizing your Sansa, you’ll be back in business.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

Do you have any other suggestions?  My computer came with Media Player 11 and Service Pack 1 already installed on it.  When I try to find MP11 to uninstall I can’t find it.  HP tells me that there is no way for me to uninstall.  This whole hoopla is causing me not to be able to install subscription music to my player.  Is there a work around?

@colnhausen wrote:
Do you have any other suggestions?  My computer came with Media Player 11 and Service Pack 1 already installed on it.  When I try to find MP11 to uninstall I can’t find it.  HP tells me that there is no way for me to uninstall.  This whole hoopla is causing me not to be able to install subscription music to my player.  Is there a work around?

Vista is a real pickle, as you see.  First and foremost, did you try manually setting MTP and uninstalling?

Install the MTP Porting Kit,

Then download and run the Fixup.zip application.

Bob  :wink: 

Have you tried connecting the Sansa, going into Device anager, finding the Sansa with the yellow exclamation point and uninstalling that, as explained above? That is different from uninstalling the locked-down WMP. 

In XP, Device Manager is under Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager. It might be different in Vista–look through the Help files. In Device Manager you should see the Sansa with a yellow exclamation point in a triangle. Right-click on Properties, find the choice for Uninstall. Disconnect, reboot, connect, and maybe WMP will do what it should have done in the first place. 

You can also look at support.microsoft.com for further fixes. Try typing in Vista “MTP Device” and see what comes up.

I’m sticking to XP until they pry it from my cold dead computer.  

Message Edited by c1u31355 on 09-26-2008 12:13 AM

Amen, c1u3!

Vista suffers from a redesign of the GUI and poor attempts at ■■■■■-proofing everything.  Give me the classix Win2000/XP interface and accessibility any day!

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue: 

IF this were the first computer I had ever used, Vista would be nice.

Fairly intuitive, lots of ‘helpful’ guidance.

BUT, for everyone out there that has already been playing the ‘figure out microsoft’ game for a while, I had quite a bit figured out, between win98 and winXP- then they MOVED IT ALL.

I’ve been “figuring out the Microsoft game” for a while, since right after (Intergalactic) Digital Research lost the initial IBM PC DOS bid.

Man, I feel old.  I had better dust off the 2501 card reader.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

hehehe Sounds like you have right to “feel” old.  :wink:

My first computer was a TI silver machine that had a pretty advanced (even for nowadays!!) speech synthesizer. Cartridges for software and games, or a tape cassette recorder to save data…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-99

NONSENSE!!!TO ALL ANSWERS!!!I have had the same problem with my sansa e260 on vista.I tried every and all fixes I found EVERYWHERE,on all different sites…to no avail.The real and true fix is to Load the disk that came with your sansa e200 series player,click on rhapsody music service,then click install,and follow the steps.THAT IS WHERE THE DRIVERS ARE TO RUN YOUR SANSA E200 PLAYER ON VISTA IN MTP MODE!!!                                                                                      That should fix it.I went through cyber hell wjth this nonsense.Hope this helps.

@mrjetjr wrote:
NONSENSE!!!TO ALL ANSWERS!!!I have had the same problem with my sansa e260 on vista.I tried every and all fixes I found EVERYWHERE,on all different sites…to no avail.The real and true fix is to Load the disk that came with your sansa e200 series player,click on rhapsody music service,then click install,and follow the steps.THAT IS WHERE THE DRIVERS ARE TO RUN YOUR SANSA E200 PLAYER ON VISTA IN MTP MODE!!!                                                                                      That should fix it.I went through cyber hell wjth this nonsense.Hope this helps.

rhapsody does have the MTP components needed however this is not what you have to do. MTP is a protocol made by microsoft and MTP support is native to vista.

glad it worked for you though :smiley: 

I had this same issue on Vista.

I deleted the device in Hardware (possibly not necessary) and installed the Sansa Media Converter from Installation CD 1.3 This must have installed the proper MTP Driver on Vista. After connecting my E280 set at MTP it installed perfectly.

I Hope this helps

HDManny’s suggestion worked for me.  I was lucky to find it on my first google search for a solution to my problem.  I didn’t even delete the device I just installed the Sansa Media Converter that came on the disk with my E250, rebooted, opened up Napster, connected the player through MTP, and success!  Thanks for saving me a lot of trouble.

Unfortunately, that Sansa Media Converter is not so hot if you intend to use it for video or photos.

Get the newer version.  

It’s still not great, but it’s better. Or use the most recent Rhapsody for video conversion.