Video Playback when turning fuze back on...

Hi,

Once I updated the firmware on my fuze yesterday (I forgot all about the update until yesterday) I started to watch some south park on it and when I turned my fuze off while it was playing the video I went out… Now when I came back I turned on my fuze and it freezes on me and I have to hold the power switch for it to turn off… I wan’t to know what the problem is. Any suggestions to fix this?

BTW It never did that before I updated the firmware

Message Edited by Sudsmcduff90210 on 04-12-2009 11:40 AM

I had the same problem…

Since you have the new FW installed you need to back up all your media and format the player again using the FORMAT command in the settings menu on the Fuze. BTW - you also need to reformat to reinitialize the database so it will accept the new 8,000 song limit. After reformat everything should work normally. Hope this helps!

kk thx

This even applies to new videos added to the unit?  A month later I’m still having the same problem with videos I’ve loaded since the upgrade.  That seems strange.

Sag.

yes it applies to all videos regardless of when they were loaded. it is a bug with a simple work around. do not shut the fuze down while playing a video. exit video playback to the menu before you turn it off and you will not see the issue. it has also been discussed 1000 times so a quick search and you can read all about it. 

The accepted solution is wrong, I’ve had this problem too,  the Sansa Disk is completely frozen so it will not format, play music, video, or FM radio station without freezing up.

The solution is you have to refresh your media, you can do this two ways.  Plug the sansa fuze into your PCand add or delete a few songs.

or If you are not near a computer hold the home button on the fuze and put and hold the fuze in the on position for about 15 seconds.  That will take the video off the now playing screen.  

Bezerk wrote:

“. . . or If you are not near a computer hold the home button on the fuze and put and hold the fuze in the on position for about 15 seconds.  That will take the video off the now playing screen.”

Thank you!  That’s exactly what I needed to know.  I found I could delete it and move on but then I had to reload.  Holding the home button was all I was missing.

DrLucky thank you for your response as well.  It’s not your fault your answer wasn’t correct.

Sag.

Okay, let me get this straight. if you reformat it via Fuze, the video wierdness will stop(I don’t have to worry about the 8,000 song limit… that’s a lot!)?

If you are playing a video, and wish to turn off your Fuze:

Press the HOME key.  This will halt your video, and will bring you to the Video “Reel” icon.

You may now power off your Fuze normally.

To resume?  Power ON, then select the desired video.  The Fuze will offer, “play from beginning” or “play from current position”.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Reformatting my Fuze appears to have damaged it beyond all repair.  I can no longer move away from the locked file and reset the unit.  PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION WITH THIS RECOMMENDATION.

Sag.

Yeah, it appears I’m hosed.  This device just went from a “strong recommendation” to a “product to avoid.”

Any way to get my original firmware back?  Appears to have been vastly superior given my needs.

Sag.

@sagrilarus wrote:

Reformatting my Fuze appears to have damaged it beyond all repair.  I can no longer move away from the locked file and reset the unit.  PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION WITH THIS RECOMMENDATION.

Sag.

Formatting the Fuze does not damage it. In fact , I have formatted mine 4 or 5 times since I got it in September. Formatting simply clears the memory for a fresh start.

I’m holding my Fuze up in front of the screen so it can read your message, but it doesn’t seem to be buying it.  In the past I could restart the unit and immediately delete the troublesome file.  That allowed me to move on.  That option no longer appears to be viable, as the file does not delete and I cannot make anything else run.  This change in behavior began immediately after I formatted the unit (as in “make the change and immediately unit-test the revision” ).

I am very much looking forward to a firmware upgrade that will correct this problem as it appears I cannot revert (unit does not execute the update for prior versions when I follow the firmware update instructions).  This is an excellent unit for the price, but for the time being I need to be very careful about what is playing on the unit, as many of my video podcasts are quite similar in form and function to my audio ones.  If I blow it I have to wait until I can connect the unit to a PC (and move a file) to clear the issue.  Until then the unit is a flat, shiny stone.

Sag.

Message Edited by Sagrilarus on 05-29-2009 09:36 AM

Message Edited by Sagrilarus on 05-29-2009 09:40 AM

@sagrilarus wrote:

I’m holding my Fuze up in front of the screen so it can read your message, but it doesn’t seem to be buying it.  In the past I could restart the unit and immediately delete the troublesome file.  That allowed me to move on.  That option no longer appears to be viable, as the file does not delete and I cannot make anything else run.  This change in behavior began immediately after I formatted the unit (as in “make the change and immediately unit-test the revision” ).

I am very much looking forward to a firmware upgrade that will correct this problem as it appears I cannot revert (unit does not execute the update for prior versions when I follow the firmware update instructions).  This is an excellent unit for the price, but for the time being I need to be very careful about what is playing on the unit, as many of my video podcasts are quite similar in form and function to my audio ones.  If I blow it I have to wait until I can connect the unit to a PC (and move a file) to clear the issue.  Until then the unit is a flat, shiny stone.

Sag.

I don’t know why you wouldn’t be able to revert to an earlier firmware…interesting.

@sagrilarus wrote:

Sag.

There must be something amiss in your updating OR you must own the special ‘twilight zone’ version of the Fuze because like Marvin I too have reformatted my Fuze at least 10 times since I’ve had it…(coming up on 14 months now) and have never had a problem after the format. It’s just weird :dizzy_face:

@oobergeek wrote:

There must be something amiss in your updating OR you must own the special ‘twilight zone’ version of the Fuze because like Marvin I too have reformatted my Fuze at least 10 times since I’ve had it…(coming up on 14 months now) and have never had a problem after the format. It’s just weird :dizzy_face:

:wink: 

The formatting went without a hitch, and the unit functions correctly afterwards, as long as I don’t shut down with a video playing.  I updated the firmware a few weeks back when I bought the unit and afterwards I could fix the frozen video by deleting it.  Then I could move on immediately to other files.  I reformatted the other night, and after that reformat the “turn off while playing a video” bug is now the kiss of death.  The unit is bricked until I get it connected to a PC and copy something to it.  It needs that refresh to regain normal functionality.  I also appear to have a problem deleting videos now but I haven’t tested that in detail so I don’t want to go down that path here yet.  It also isn’t a crisis, as I am almost never above 2GB of content.  If I hadn’t reformatted this bug would be in the nuisance category.  With the reformat it’s in the showstopper category.

The problem is fully in my hands now – I know what causes the problem and I need to avoid the behavior.  Unfortunately I’m not too bright about the simple parts of life so that’s not the best situation.  For my commute it’s not much of an issue.  But when I do this on the train to NY I’m going to be pissed.  I very much look forward to the next firmware upgrade which will surely address this problem.  My 4GB Fuze gives me exactly what I need at an excellent price – video podcasts in my pocket.

Sag.

Update – Alright, I’ve managed to reinstall firmware and performed a reformat on the machine.  THIS time the reformat actually took a few seconds, which makes me think that it actually did something this time.  Prior reformats finished in under a second giving me no confidence in them at all.  Best guess is that I had a bad firmware install of some sort.  But even after what appears to be a full complete trip through the rebuild I have the same result – shutting off with a video on bricks the unit until I can reattach it to a PC.  Prior to reformat that was not necessary.  I recommend not reformatting after installing the new firmware as that seemed to give me a way out of the jam.

Message Edited by Sagrilarus on 05-30-2009 12:03 PM

@marvin_martian wrote:

@oobergeek wrote:

:wink: 

hmm…can’t see the pic…lol!.Hate when this happens. Little glitchy things after a reinstall…:smileyvery-happy:

just a thought for you…did you update with a version 1 or 2. I’ve read alot on here today where people have tried to update a ver 1 with ver 2 firmware and have problems.

I went from a version 2 to a version 2.  That was the first thing I looked for, but thanks – feel free to cover me whenever you think of something.

Sag.