USB flash drive is changed into RAW, not previous NTFS.

I recently purchased a SanDisk USB flash drive which had stored many  photos, videos and documents. It works fine all the time. But, recently, it becomes really strange. After inserting it to my laptop as usual, the Windows only showed a “disk is not formatted” message as my friend wanted to see some pictures yesterday. I did not know why! The file system was also changed into RAW, not the previous NTFS. Please help me overcome this problem. I need to re-access my photos, videos and documents again. Thanks!

hmmmm  Do you still have your many  photos, videos and documents on their original location? 

If so, reformat the flash drive and recopy your files back to it.  You might see if you can run a CHKDSK on the drive first will help but that’s a WAG.

If not, and the many  photos, videos and documents are important to you you should consider finding a local pc shop and see if they can help you.

Good luck.

OK! Don’t worry! In my personal experiences, you probably have chances to save your photos, videos and documents back.

In fact, as I know, the RAW drive problems are often caused by many reasons, such as the improper operations, virus infections and even hard drive problems, etc. But, in most cases, it can be easily fixed by re-formatting.

So, you also can try to format this RAW drive to fix its RAW problem.

However, considering about the safety of the inner stored files, you’d better firstly try to retrieve them back off from this RAW drive with a RAW drive data recovery program in case that the formatting process makes everything worse.

Nowadays, there are many similar hard drive data recovery programs that can help you retrieve your inaccessible data off from this RAW drive and restore your RAW file system back into previous NTFS file system latter. But not all of them can work as efficiently as you hope.

So, if you cannot make your own decision, you can try to use some RAW drive data recovery freeware at firstly, which often work much more efficiently than some paid ones, such as PC Inspector File Recovery, TestDisk, Recuva and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.    

Note :

Do not forget to format this drive after the data recovery process and see whether the RAW problem can be completely fixed.

Next time, I hope you can always remember to back up everything important in case of similar data recovery problems.

Thank you for your detailed description.  

I really know nothing of the RAW drive problem. But, after reading your answer, I have learned a lot. So, I follow your suggestion and try your mentioned data recovery freeware that have finally restored all my wanted data back. Now, the RAW problem is also fixed by the formatting process.

Thanks a lot!!!

Thank your for your detailed description and direction! Last weekends, I had also got a RAW hard drive and all stored data also became RAW. In order to save both of my data and this drive, I just read a great number of threads and article, including your posting an finally knew that a data recovery program can help me out.

So, I tried your mentioned data recovery freeware like Recuva, TestDisk and 4Card Recovery, etc.

Fortunately, I eventually restored all my lost data back successfully with the lost free data recovery tool here: http://www.4cardrecovery.com/

And now, I also change my RAW file system back to previous FAT32.

Thank you very much for your useful clues.

Don’t worry still you can recover your lost photos back because when you format the USB Drive it doesn’t delete the data from the drive completely. To recover your valuable photos back you must use professional data recovery tool such as Card Data Recovery software to get back your lost files from the USB flash drive. It can recover which allows a user to recover lost audio, image and video files from Camera, SD Cards, hard drives, USB drives and other memory cards. It can also recover data from Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Duo, Micro (M2), Pro-HG.