USB device not recognized

My wife purchased a 8gb Clip Zip for me to replace my aging 4gb fuze.  I was able to plug it in and start loading some tunes on it but now I get errors trying to connect it.

I keep getting a USB device not recognized error when I plug it into my PC.   I’m running Win7 64bit.   Any ideas?

Is the usb mode on the player set to MTP? If so, try setting it to MSC then connecting.

It was set to Auto detect.  I changed it to MSC and the computer still doesn’t recognize it.  I’ve tried other USB ports,  and different charging cords since my cell phone all uses the same type of chord.   I still get the same result.  

Arrggh! You might try going into Windows, under the device management section I believe, and see if you can “uninstall” or de-authorize the Clip drive (there may be some indication, a red color or an exclamation point, denoting the lack of function/connection for the drive), and then start again (forcing Windows to start from square 1 in making a connection), starting with MSC mode.

If it’s any consolation, the connection should work in the end–there is no general problem with Windows 7 or 64-bit systems.

@bryano wrote:

It was set to Auto detect.  I changed it to MSC and the computer still doesn’t recognize it.  I’ve tried other USB ports,  and different charging cords since my cell phone all uses the same type of chord.   I still get the same result.  

With the player disconnected form your computer, open up the “Devices and Printers” window, and right-click and remove any Clip Zip you see.

With your Zip now set on MSC mode, the next time you plug it in, it should be fine.

1 Like

Marvin, you are a genius!   Thank you,  That worked perfectly.

This thing was almost headed straight back to the store for a replacement.

@bryano wrote:

Marvin, you are a genius!   Thank you,  That worked perfectly.

This thing was almost headed straight back to the store for a replacement.

Glad it worked out for you…enjoy!

Marvin has a good tip there, when using Windows 7.

The Devices and Printers page allows you to modify device installations without having the device connected, unlike earlier versions of Windows.  In this screen, you will see a row of icons representing device installations.  The Sansa will be greyed out when not connected in this display_._

With earlier versions of Windows, we have to open the Device Manager directly, and connect the Sansa.  WHileconnected, look for the “yellow triangle of doom”, and select “uninstall”.

Yes, all roads do indeed seem to lead to Rome, as there is a Device Manager option in Windows 7, but Marvin has hit upon a handy shortcut.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

1 Like

Hi–

I also received a Sandisk Clip zip. I tried to charge it up today to transfer my music- at first it came up saying ‘connected’ on the screen but then went off and I can’t get the computer to recognize it anymore. It comes up with an error that the USB has malfunctioned. I tried it on another computer and it did the same thing. I can’t get it to turn on either so I can’t change any settings that I know of. I am running Windows Vista and Media Player 11 which should be compatible. The website says that if these messages come up the device has ‘failed’ and no further trouble shooting will solve the problems. I would be more accepting of that if the device hadn’t initially come on and seemed to work… Please help and let me know if I need to send it back to Amazon for a replacement…

Thanks–

Karen

@kdemski wrote:

I also received a Sandisk Clip zip. I tried to charge it up today to transfer my music- at first it came up saying ‘connected’ on the screen but then went off and I can’t get the computer to recognize it anymore. It comes up with an error that the USB has malfunctioned. I tried it on another computer and it did the same thing. I can’t get it to turn on either so I can’t change any settings that I know of. I am running Windows Vista and Media Player 11 which should be compatible. The website says that if these messages come up the device has ‘failed’ and no further trouble shooting will solve the problems. I would be more accepting of that if the device hadn’t initially come on and seemed to work… Please help and let me know if I need to send it back to Amazon for a replacement…

First off, realize that when you plug the player iinto your computer to charge, the screen will go off (or dark) after a few seconds. This is normal. You can at any time, wake up the display by pressing any of the buttons on the face of the player (like to check on the charging process).

Secondly, you probably just need to reset the player. Press and hold the power button for 20 - 30 seconds. Release and it should start up normally. I doubt whether you will have to return it to Amazon.

You might try going into Windows, under the device management section, and see if you can “uninstall” or de-authorize the Clip drive (there may be some indication, a red color or an exclamation point, denoting the lack of function/connection for the drive), and then start again (forcing Windows to start from square 1 in making a connection), starting with MSC mode.

My problem is that when I plugged in the SansaDisk to charge it recognised it but took out all my other USB devices so it will now not recognise my USB wireless mouse, pen drive etc. I plugged the Sandisk back in and clicked to safely remove, nothing else is plugged in but the message still keeps coming up. Has anyone else had this problem?

With USB devices, you can unplug accessories, then try plugging in again.  The simplest solution is to go to the start menu, click on start > Shut Down > Restart and let Windows enumarate the USB devices from scratch.

Bob  :wink:

Way frustrated.  Just came home with a SanDisk Zip Clip.  A new one. Owned one before.  Plugged it it… XP system… Clip didn’t light up.  Check all USB ports. Nada.  Went to Win 7 system.  USB Device not recognized.  

Clip is dead.  Won’t light up.

Grr.rrrrrr.r.r.r.r.r.r.

You might try using another USB cable, in case there is an issue there.

Might also try peeling off the screen’s protective sticker, if you haven’t already done so. This sticker depicts a static screen-shot image of the actual screen, and could prevent you from seeing whether the unit is actually on or not.

OMG THANK YOU!!!!!!