Problem with Clip Zip Driver

Just bought a 4GB Clip Zip, installed it on my computer and everything worked great. However, when I restart my computer, the Clip Zip is no longer recognized. When I go to Device Manager, It shows the Clip Zip with a yellow Exclamation mark. It checks its status and says the driver needs to be reinstalled. I do this and everything works great until I turn the computer off and then the drive is not recognized.

I 've tried resetting the player, reinstalling the firmware, and everything else I could find on this forum, but most is for a Clip that is not recognized at all. This is the second Clip I’ve tried and both had the same problem, so I am sure it is something with my computer.

I’m running Windows 7, 64 bit on an HP laptop. Clip Zip is in MTP mode, which I would like to keep it in since I use Audible and WMP12.

Thanks for the help.

And under Windows’ Device Manager, you uninstalled the Clip, right, so that Windows could reinstall the Clip from scratch the next time you connect up?  That has worked for me in the past.

Is your device in MSC mode or MTP mode? If it is the former, perhaps you should contact Microsoft and tell them you are having trouble with Mass Storage Devices, as Windows will not recognize them properly, and will not configure the driver needed to access them. Or, you could switch modes.

If your problem is the latter, swith to MSC mode. Or, if you really want to make MTP work, try this: in your device manager, right click on the device, and select “Update driver”. Then, when the update driver wizard appears, check the “Install from a list or specific location” option. Click next. “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install”. Next. If a list of catagories appears, look for “portable devices”, and click next (if you don’t get that option, ignore this sentence). You should hopefully get an option that  reads something like “MTP Device”. Install that driver. That *should* be enought to fix this issue.

Thanks for the replies.

Clip works fine in MSC mode, but I really like using MTP mode becasue I use WMP and Audible. I previously had a Fuze and it worked great in Auto mode…go figure.

I’ve tried both suggestions and they fix the problem until I restart the computer and then I get the yellow exclamation point on the device in device manager. I’ve disabled my firewall and anti-virus programs and still the problem. It seems my computer will not save or reload the driver. I contacted Sandisk and they said to contact HP. HP says to contact Sandisk.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Similar situation with the Zip when it first came out, between Audible and SanDisk re issues: each said to contact the other . . . . (In the end, the issue was Audible’s.)

After Googling the problem, I found far too many people looking for a solution to similar problems, but with cell phones, cameras, etc. I don’t think it is a Sandisk problem. I have an old computer running XP and the Clip works fine, but on 2 HP laptops running Windows 7 it does not. Was just hoping someone here had the same problem and found a solution.

Thanks again for the help.