Two new Fuze players, problems.

I just purchased two Fuze players.   One required a firmware update (which I did succesfully).   The other was up to date.   After copying music onto the first player it would not stop “Refreshing your media” .   I could not get past the screen into the menu to format the player.   I did this on the second player with updated firmware and I am having the same exact problem.   Please help.   I am VERY frustrated.  The music I copied onto the player was in OGG format.

Mark

@rifester wrote:

I just purchased two Fuze players.   One required a firmware update (which I did succesfully).   The other was up to date.   After copying music onto the first player it would not stop “Refreshing your media” .   I could not get past the screen into the menu to format the player.   I did this on the second player with updated firmware and I am having the same exact problem.   Please help.   I am VERY frustrated.  The music I copied onto the player was in OGG format.

Mark

Ah ha… Your last statement is key.  I use Vorbis quite a bit and this has happened to me.  There is probably a problem with one or more of the ogg vorbis files that are loaded onto the machines.  Depending on how much music on your units, this may be a time consuming process of indentifying which file or files are causing the issue.  I personally just formatted my player and added a few tracks at a time and double checked the device.

If I recall, it was some non-standard tag information that caused my issue.  In any event, it’s more likely that your problem is related to the files, not the players…

I have no problem re-burning my CDs into a different format (would you suggest FLAC?) but how do I get past the “Refreshing your media”  on the player to format it?  If this is a common problem then why does the player say it supports OGG?   I burned them straight from the CD which was very time consuming as you know…

Thanks for you help!

@rifester wrote:

I have no problem re-burning my CDs into a different format (would you suggest FLAC?) but how do I get past the “Refreshing your media”  on the player to format it?  If this is a common problem then why does the player say it supports OGG?   I burned them straight from the CD which was very time consuming as you know…

Thanks for you help!

I didn’t say it was a problem with the ogg format, but specific files that were loaded onto your devices.  There is an error or problem with one or more of your files, causing the problem.  I have thousands of ogg vorbis files that play perfectly on my 2 fuzes.

I can’t tell you from here, what the problems are with said files; you’ll have to do a bit of research on your end to determine the exact issue with the files in question.

I usually rip from EAC to .wav or .flac; and if ogg vorbis is desired, I convert using dBPoweramp.  This methodology has worked for me for thousands of ogg vorbis files.

Does anybody have any idea how to get around the “Refreshing your Media”  so I can format the player?

@rifester wrote:
Does anybody have any idea how to get around the “Refreshing your Media”  so I can format the player?

This thread should help you…

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=26819&query.id=99421#M26819

Most problems have been encountered by someone before.  The search tool can save you a lot of time and frustration.

I second GB’s suggestion that yours is a tag-based issue. It also happens (quite a bit actually) with .mp3 files. So there’s nothing wrong with the OGG format, but 1 or more has a tag that your Fuze(s) cannot read and it’s hanging up when it gets to one of these errors during it’s database refresh cycle. Sansa players are very particular about the tags they read (or won’t read).

Without access to the Settings menu & the conveinent Format function located within, force an MSC connection with your computer & let Windows do it. Then re-format it using the Fuze’s on-board Format command to optimize the memory with the proper size cluster allocations.

Then as GB said, load a few albums at a time to isolate where the problem(s) lie, so you can correct them.

Thanks for your help.   I think I have the 8gb fixed, the 4gb came up with a FAT is corruped error," please connect to PC and Recover FAT"  I followed your instruction to force and MSC connection to try to reformat it and it says the computer can’t recognize it.   Do you think this player is bad or can it be recovered?

See if this thread helps you.