Music wont play. OGG

Hey whats up,

I have a new 8GB Sansa Fuze V2. 

This is my 3rd fuze.

My first one was a V1 but it was dying and it served my needs vailantly enough that I bought a new one.

Though I went to a country where digital mp3s are a bit of a luxury and someone became attached to it…and the second one went gone.

Now, I have the latest 8GB Fuze with the 2.*.*.33A update.

So I know, my way around the product. After owning a couple of them.

Though, no matter what, in every Sansa Fuze version I’ve used there has always been issues with the Fuze playing OGG files. If not for the cant play any album with album art greater than 500x500 pixels (though this happened on MP3 also), it’s something else.

It will play most of my OGG files BUT on the the FEW OGG files it doesnt play,it will simply show the name the track skip the file moving onto the next song (as if it is DRM’D or in a format it doesnt understand.)

I used to be able on the older devices to rename the music or move and replace the music and it magically worked (cant say for sure what the issue is). It’s really starting to grate my nerves though, because it seems to be doing this more frequently on the 2*.*.33A firmware version.

I dont know what is causing this. I’ve always used the same program to convert my music into OGG. Soundconverter on Linux. I dont know why it chooses random files, or if there is something unsual in the Vorbis Comment or what. Though, I would like to get this resolved, so I am not opposed to taking steps to figure out what the issue is, but I’m sure it’s a player-side issue.

Thanks

All .ogg is not the same, especially since it’s open-source. Try a different converter.

@leemanbros wrote:

I dont know what is causing this. I’ve always used the same program to convert my music into OGG. Soundconverter on Linux. I dont know why it chooses random files, or if there is something unsual in the Vorbis Comment or what. Though, I would like to get this resolved, so I am not opposed to taking steps to figure out what the issue is, but I’m sure it’s a player-side issue.

Thanks

Check that the files are actually vorbis.  Just like how not all M4A files are AAC, not all Ogg files are vorbis.  

We won’t rat you out to Stallman if you use mp3.  :wink:

Personally, I use SoundKonvertor (the KDE app NOT the Gnome App) because it has a lot more features.  But I use mp3 and flac so I’m afraid my experience won’t really be any help to you.

“All .ogg is not the same, especially since it’s open-source. Try a different converter.”

- Black-Rectangle

I dont know what the hell that actually means to tell you the truth. Though, I dont see how it could be different being that there is a standard ogg encoder implementation. Also, negative on trying a different encoder I have other OGG files written using the same program that the device can play just fine. Thanks.

Check that the files are actually vorbis.  Just like how not all M4A files are AAC, not all Ogg files are vorbis.

- Saratoga

They are all Vorbis files. I’m sure. Thanks.

We won’t rat you out to Stallman if you use mp3. :wink: Personally, I use SoundKonvertor (the KDE app NOT the Gnome App) because it has a lot more features. But I use mp3 and flac so I’m afraid my experience won’t really be any help to you. - Knifethemac

Thanks, but nah. I dont use only OGG exclusively. I just prefer to save space at the same or better quality while I can. So I can cram as much files onto my device as possible. There are times, where I have to use only mp3, from lets say an MP3 I got off my friend at some random quality.

I do think I’ve made some headway against figuring out what the hell is wrong with this junk. I’ll post if it does succeed.

If you post a link to one that doesn’t play, I can at least look at it and tell you if theres anything wrong with the file.  

http://bit.ly/c5EvmS

The link is that.The first song track 07 still doesnt play. Track 08 does play. On Fuze V2.

Interesting enough. There were actually previously 3 tracks that didnt play, also, but somehow after messing with the tags/vorbis-comment (basically removing a couple of stray metadata and adding a ‘0’ to the track number as the tracks were previously 5, 7,9 instead of 05, 07, 09) and then making sure they still played in VLC.

2 of those 3 tracks started working, though Im sure that none of that ticking with the metadata fixed it, I think it was the actually rewrite of the tags/Vorbis-comments.

(Also, to further complicate things originally none of the songs on the entire album played. Though, one morning before waking up, I decided to delete some .nfo files in a totally DIFFERENT album folders that also had ogg vorbis audio. Those albums still dont play but somehow most of this album did minus the aforementioned 3 tracks. Then after “re-writing” the tags, it became 1)

Can’t open the zip.

Check your PM’s please.

Rockbox’s libtremor plays the file, but the Sandisk libtremor doesn’t, so it could be this bug I fixed in rockbox libtremor a while back:

http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/9866

As expected, deleting the tags fixes the file, but looking at the tags I don’t see any large entries that would trigger that bug.  So it could be that, or it could be some new bug elsewhere in the sandisk firmware and i’m too lazy to compile libtremor unpatched to check.

Saratoga the bug reported in the link you gave

“On certain .ogg files, the player freezes immediately (zero time elapsed), and must be restarted by switching the battery switch.”

I dont have to do this (though I’ve had this happen with my old Fuzes). In this case the song is just skipped.

Also, SURE ENOUGH. Removing the Vorbis tags/comment made that one song play. This is truly lame on Sandisk’s part.

On a lighter side, I didnt know a stable port of Rockbox existed for V2’s. Still would be nice to figure out what the problem is on this one so that it could be fixed by the developers upstream.

@leemanbros wrote:

Saratoga the bug reported in the link you gave

“On certain .ogg files, the player freezes immediately (zero time elapsed), and must be restarted by switching the battery switch.”

I dont have to do this (though I’ve had this happen with my old Fuzes). In this case the song is just skipped.

I think I fixed that bug before Rockbox worked on your player, so you wouldn’t be able to have that happen.  It’d just skip the tag and play the file if you tried to reproduce it.

@leemanbros wrote:

Also, SURE ENOUGH. Removing the Vorbis tags/comment made that one song play. This is truly lame on Sandisk’s part.

On a lighter side, I didnt know a stable port of Rockbox existed for V2’s. Still would be nice to figure out what the problem is on this one so that it could be fixed by the developers upstream.

I posted the fix to the libtremor mailing list, but its extremely hard to get them to accept new code.  Usually we just end up rewriting their stuff locally and posting links to interesting patch on their mailing list in case someone else wants to use them.  I understand their hesitance to change the code, it has to work on windows/linux/android and about a million proprietary systems like the Fuze, but it does tend to be buggier then it should be as a result.  

So I’ve switched to Rockbox in the meantime. A lil harder to navigate for me and the playlists have to be moved to a central locations which probrably means no more relative paths although,. Though much more feature-filled and powerful than the original firmware…and most importantly it plays my OGG collection mostly with no problems. Thanks Saratoga, for the heads up!

@leemanbros wrote:
A lil harder to navigate for me and the playlists have to be moved to a central locations which probrably means no more relative paths although,. 

You don’t have to put playlists in a certral location, and relative paths work fine.  I don’t use them often, but when I have, I usually just put them in the same folder as the songs they’re for, or one level up if the playlist has a lot of album on it.

Saratoga, “All playlists in the Playlist catalog are stored by default in the /Playlists directory in the root of your player’s disk and playlists stored in other locations are not included in the catalog. It is however possible to move existing playlists there (see section 4.1.2).” I meant to say that instead of having a main scrollable playlist of all the .m3u’s like in the Fuze. That the m3u’s would have to all move to a single folder. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks