Strange folders, can't put music on a e260

After my iPod Touch died, I decided to dust of my old Sansa e260.

I used to just put my .mp3s in the \MUSIC folder, but now it has created all these folders:

I also cant copy .mp3’s to it. What the **bleep** is going on? The updater cant find the device either…

You have corrupted files. You’ll need to format it to clear it out and re-load everything.

Ok, how do I format it?

I can’t format the device itself, and the item in the root of the Sansa gives me an error when I try to format it.

Do the Sansa.fmt magic. First, turn off the Sansa, then out on hold connect it to the computer while holding the Record button. It should not be recognized as 16mb Format. Simply create a new folder inside the 16mb Format drive and rename it as Sansa.fmt. Disconnect the Sansa and it should do a force format.

@jamieson wrote:
Do the Sansa.fmt magic. First, turn off the Sansa, then out on hold connect it to the computer while holding the Record button. It should not be recognized as 16mb Format. Simply create a new folder inside the 16mb Format drive and rename it as Sansa.fmt. Disconnect the Sansa and it should do a force format.

That’s if it’s a v1 model only. With a v2, you’ll have to (possibly) force MSC mode by placing on HOLD, pressing & holding the REW |<< button while simultaneously plugging the device into the computer. Continue hold the REW button until it is recognized as 2 separate drives in Windows Explorer (it helps to already have Explorer open).

Right-click on the player’s icon and select Format… . Use FAT32 & do not use the Quick Format option.

Note: If you have to use the HOLD button (for either version), don’t forget to take it off HOLD when you’re done, or it won’t start up. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

@jamieson wrote:

That’s if it’s a v1 model only. With a v2, you’ll have to (possibly) force MSC mode by placing on HOLD, pressing & holding the REW |<< button while simultaneously plugging the device into the computer. Continue hold the REW button until it is recognized as 2 separate drives in Windows Explorer (it helps to already have Explorer open).

Right-click on the player’s icon and select Format… . Use FAT32 & do not use the Quick Format option.

Note: If you have to use the HOLD button (for either version), don’t forget to take it off HOLD when you’re done, or it won’t start up. :wink:

Im not sure if the OP still needs to do the foce MSC since the Sansa is already recognized as a removable storage.