SD card and artist info

I have a sansa fuze4 GB and Sandisk 8 gb micro SD card.  I use WMP 11.  All my music has been ripped in wav format.  When I sync music to the internal memory, all the artist info is present. When I sync to the external usd card, everything shows up unknown.  I have tried both USB modes & formatted the SD card with SD formatter.  I have even moved files that have been “successfully” synced from drive to drive in explorer, with the result being the loss of the tag info. I  have read the posts related to this and I get the impression that the only way to avoid this is to rip music in MP3 format (not an option , though).  I have successfully tagged tracks with MP3 Tag to get the artist info, but that seems like a time consuming task, especially since my sansa library is constantly changing.   So, my questions are…

1.  why is this an issue with the SD card and not the internal memory?

2.  am I doing something wrong (formatting, etc)

3.  Is this only an issue with the fuze/all sansa products/all mp3 players?

1. Is this an issue with WMP?

Hope I supplied enough info. Thanks in advance for any help:smiley:

Just curious, why would you opt to rip to WAV?  Even a high quality 320 kbps mp3 is going to give you great quality and be many times smaller than a wav file.

Heck, I didn’t even know you could tag WAV files.  If you didn’t mind super-enormous files, why wouldn’t you rip to lossless FLAC?

Perhaps my terminology is off…by tagging I meant having all the info(artist, album, track#, etc).

I rip my cd’s with EAC so as to have a lossless track to listen to at home, through my stereo, which is hooked up to my pc, using WMP  to organize and play them.   I no longer listen to cd’s, just rip and then store them.  I store back up copies of my  rips on an external drive in flac, to save space.  I don’t  keep them on my pc as flac because of the limitations of  cataloguing with  any flac player I have used. 

I can most definitely hear the difference between any bitrate of MP3 and lossless.

The Fuze is not my primary listening device, only a portable player.  As such I am not as concerned with the quality. I’m not a newbie, I just want to keep my files organized, with a minimum of hassle.  All I want to know is…

1.  why is this an issue with the SD card and not the internal memory?

2.  am I doing something wrong (formatting, etc)

3.  Is this only an issue with the fuze/all sansa products/all mp3 players?

1. Is this an issue with WMP?

First, I’m just guessing here. So you can ignore this completely if you want.

.Wav is a comparatively old format and wasn’t made for tags, because everyone back then knew you were just going to play them back on a CD player.

FLAC has included tags from the start, so I’m surprised you have had trouble with them. Have you tagged the FLAC files with mp3tag?

But my guess is that your problem is with WMP, which does some weird things with the microSD card.  The anti-piracy madness built into it is suspicious of your microSD card, which you might take out and lend to someone,  which would immediately leave the entire music business in a shambles.  So perhaps in its twisted little brain, WMP isn’t sending all the information to the external card.

Why not try two simple experiments.

1. Bypass WMP. Switch the Fuze to MSC mode (Settings/System Settings/USB Mode), go into wherever WMP puts your album library,  and just drag-and-drop some well-tagged .wav files onto the card that way. See if they are tagged right when they get there. Your computer won’t see files you sent over via MTP mode (or Auto Detect, which goes to MTP if your computer has WMP), but the Fuze will see everything. If that works, you could take some time and just reload the microSD in MSC mode, then put the Fuze back on MTP for stuff in the internal memory.

2. Bypass the Fuze. Get a card reader and copy the album from Windows Media Player to the card. At least you’ll know where the snafu is.