Sansa switchin on wen connected to PC but not detected

I hav a 2GB Sansa Clip. IT was workin fine until a couple of days back. Now wen i plug in my clip to my PC it get switched on and goes into the music menu instead of displayin “connected” on its display. I’ve tried connectin it in all the 3 USB modes. I formatted the player using the format option. Even this wudnt resolve my issue. Now my player is empty and since its nt gettin detected im not able to copy songs into it. I ve tried connectin it to a copuple of computers but none of them wud detect it. Im not able to update the firmware also as the computer isnt recognisin it.

@ajay_napa wrote:
I hav a 2GB Sansa Clip. IT was workin fine until a couple of days back. Now wen i plug in my clip to my PC it get switched on and goes into the music menu instead of displayin “connected” on its display. I’ve tried connectin it in all the 3 USB modes. I formatted the player using the format option. Even this wudnt resolve my issue. Now my player is empty and since its nt gettin detected im not able to copy songs into it. I ve tried connectin it to a copuple of computers but none of them wud detect it. Im not able to update the firmware also as the computer isnt recognisin it.

Since you have tried another computer and since the player is going to the music menu, it seems as if the USB connection on the CLIP,  or the Cable is the issue.     Try Eliminating the cable.   See if you can find another mini USB to USB cable and see if that’s the issue.    If not,  your CLIP may need repair.       Look at the mini USB connector on the clip and be sure there is no damage to it. 

Good Luck :slight_smile:

cable isnt the issue as i tried 3 of 'em. There are no visible damages on the mini USB port. i always keep the clip at a safe place. so m not sure wat cud b the problem.

could this be a software issue??

Did you add or remove any software from you PC between the time it worked right and the time it stopped? Have you tried installing WMP 11?

no i did not add or remove any h/w. wat is frustrating is tht it switched on as soon as u plug it in n showin the menus inside which wud only happen if u switch on the player wen it isnt connected to ure PC. and 1 more thing is tht wen its plugged to the PC the battery indiacator animates(chargin) for a couple f seconds n stops. No response frm windows as well. Tht bell sound doesn come wen it is plugged in 

Anything is possible.

I can only think of a few things to try:   Try these is you wish.  You can try connecting with the cable after each step.

1)   Try a forced reset -   Hold the on switch in the on position for 15 seconds and the CLIp should turn off.   Then turn on.

2)   Try Resetting to factory default settings .   Settings >> Reset All >> Yes.

3)   Try formatting.   You tried this.   can’t hurt to try again, although it probably won’t change the issue.

4)   Try a different USB Mode,    Try SMC   and then MTP.   in between each change test it with your cable .   Settings >> USB MODE >>  (AUTO, MSC, MTP)

If you can’t get the CLIP to connect to the computer with all these attempts,   I would contact Sansa Support and I’m going to guess that you will end up needing to send it for repair/exchange.

Sorry I don’t know anything else beyond these.    I don’t work for Sansa,   Maybe someone else has some magic and will respond to this post.   but don’t wait for it,   contact Sansa Support.

Good Luck  :slight_smile:

and 1 more thing i wana bring to ure notice is tht i used to charge it with an AC adapter. wen i do tht the player switches on and gets charged. the same thing is happenin now wen i connect it to my PC as well. but it charges for few secs nly. so is it gettin confused between getin connected to a PC and to a wall charger???

@niko

can u be more descreptive abt the forced reset. i mean do i have to push n hold the power button wen the player in on(i.e frm off to on) or i have to turn on the player normally and now push the power button up for 15 secs?

@ajay_napa wrote:
and 1 more thing i wana bring to ure notice is tht i used to charge it with an AC adapter. wen i do tht the player switches on and gets charged. the same thing is happenin now wen i connect it to my PC as well. but it charges for few secs nly. so is it gettin confused between getin connected to a PC and to a wall charger???

AC adapters only connect with 2 connections -  power connections.  these two connections seem to be connecting when you have it connected to your computer.  I’m not sure why it is only doing it for a few seconds, unless its already fully charged.   The issue is the other connections for the USB data  RX / TX connections don’t seem to be electrically connected or something else is not working correctly.    It’s possible your CLIP is broken.   If you use your AC adapter to charge it , could an electrical surge have zapped it?    Its probably not possible to know what is wrong.   If its this hard to troubleshoot.     Contact Sansa Support and go through thier steps,  push to get it replaced if they can’t trouble shoot the problem.    If there is some magic that works,  please post it back here :slight_smile:

Good Luck :slight_smile:

Message Edited by niko_sama on 01-29-2009 02:40 AM

@ajay_napa wrote:

@niko

can u be more descreptive abt the forced reset. i mean do i have to push n hold the power button wen the player in on(i.e frm off to on) or i have to turn on the player normally and now push the power button up for 15 secs?

Turn on the CLIP,   then push the on button all the way up, and hold it there (as if you were turning it on),  after about 15 seconds the CLIP will turn off.    (You can do this while its off or locked up.    )   

there’s nothin wrong with the player other than this particular issue. it is playin songs, FM, recordin voice etc. Wen i connect it to the AC adapter it gets charged as it normally did.

Be sure to test it with another computer.    It may not be the CLIP.   I think beyond this, i am out of suggestions.   I’m sorry I could not help.    Sansa Support would be my next step.

Sorry :confused:

@ajay_napa wrote:
there’s nothin wrong with the player other than this particular issue. it is playin songs, FM, recordin voice etc. Wen i connect it to the AC adapter it gets charged as it normally did.

I’m thinking internally on your CLIP the data send/receive connections to the internal usb connector maybe broken. There is no way to tell.  The usb power connections are working.   Fustrating.    I am not sure how to verify this.   If you get this fixed.  Please let me know what it was. 

i tried it on 3-4 other PCs, laps, with Vista hope premium n XP. m absolutely clueless… thanks for ure efforts… i wil definitely post the solution if i find 1.

I did not ask about h/w i asked about Software, I have noticed that some programs conflict with the drivers for the clip and Fuze. Also Make  sure Windows Media Player 11 is installed, this will install the drivers so you can connect in MTP mode.

yeah…WMP11 installed… problem not solved in spite of tryin out so man things…

@ajay_napa wrote:
yeah…WMP11 installed… problem not solved in spite of tryin out so man things…

I am copy pasting some ideas,   I know you have tryed some of these.    I wrote this for someone else who was having connection problems:

There are several things you can try.

this has worked for some clip users: 

http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/sirius-backstage/stiletto/104941-mtp-device-cannot-start-solution.html

-Make sure you are logged in as an administrator
-Open your command prompt (Start->Run->“cmd”->press Enter)
-Type the following:

Net localgroup Administrators local service /add

-Close the command prompt and reconnect the Clip

you can also make sure you have wmp 11 installed , as it installs MTP drivers

or

you can can try switching the clip’s USB mode to MSC  (change under settings - usb mode)    and then connect to the computer

or

some clip users have tryed installing Microsofts MTP porting kit with success

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsmedia/bb190309.aspx

Report back if one of these methods worked for you,  Good luck :slight_smile: