Sansa Fuze Freeze's at Welcome Screen. . . HELP

Ok so i got a new sansa because my old one had a messed up screen. So after uploading some music on to my fuze i turned it back on and it froze at the welcome screen. I tried the stes it was like reset device. Then Hold power switch up for 20 second until shut down. im pretty sure i followed the directions right. I dont know what to do beeides take it to BestBuy and see if GeekSquad or someone tere can help me. CAN YOU GUYS HELP ME!!! PLZ

It sounds like you may have a bad firmwire install. Use the firmwire updater or manually reinstall the firmwire.See if that helps

Can you explain that to me in more detail. . .well i think i forgot to say that it wouldent help if i connected it because it just sits there i cant do anything at all and its pissing me off have any other suggestions?

Ok. Plug it in from the off postition. It will try to turn on, once it freezes go to your Mu Computer. Does it show up in that screen? If it does, then download the newest firmwire from the firmwire update board. Unzip that file, then open the fuze up in the my computer screen, then find the root folder, and place the firmwire in that folder

And when i connect it the computer doesint recognize it. .

Hmmmm… try reinstalling the firmware from the PC, then try turning it on.

My question is, does the firmware setup replace all files on the Fuze? If it does, then this should fix it.

The next time that you ever do a firmware update, you should let it install all the way, because if you interupt the setup process, your Fuze will act differently.

I’ve got the same problem.  I can’t “reinstall from the PC” because Fuze seems to freeze before it connects with the PC.  I tried all kind of “20 seconds reset” or “connect on HOLD” solutions, but nothing helped.  The device is not detected by the PC – it is not showing up in the My Computer and Sansa Updater tells me to plug it in, althought it indeed is.  Same thing on different USB slots and computers on which it used to work.

I have the same problem. I bought one Sansa and it happened in two days. Then, I replaced it and it happened again.

It’s driving me crazy.

i had the same problem. Then i took off the miniSD card and its works fine again.

I’ve also purchased a new Fuze (just two days ago) because I’d dropped my last one on concrete one too many times, and decided to upgrade to one with more internal memory. The new one takes over 15 minutes to actually startup; the old one took about 5 seconds.  Of course I didn’t realize this was happening until after I uploaded over 1,000 songs.

I’ve tried manually upgrading the firmware, but it doesn’t change a thing. But checking out this forum thread, and seeing kazanzan mention removing the external memory card (while it was in minute 15 of the most recent start), and viola, it turns on just in a few seconds. I’ve tried shutting down and starting up without a card in the microSD/microSDHC slot, and it starts up in a few seconds. 

So it seems there is something going on with Fuze reading the external memory card.  That’s a feature that has kept me using the Fuze, but worthless if it takes so long to start up.

@jenab wrote:

I’ve tried shutting down and starting up without a card in the microSD/microSDHC slot, and it starts up in a few seconds. 

So it seems there is something going on with Fuze reading the external memory card.  That’s a feature that has kept me using the Fuze, but worthless if it takes so long to start up.

You most likely have a file (or files) on the card that the Fuze is having a hard time decyphering during its database refresh. Could be something with the ID3 tags (wrong format, bloated Comments field or foreign characters), corrupted files, and/or humongous album art.

If you can access the microSD card from Windows, right-click on it and go to Properties/Tools/Error-Checking.That might fix a bad file.

Otherwise, you might try exploring the SD card and looking at  some of the files you have added most recently. The free program mp3tag is good for fixing problems.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Install mp3tag.  When you install, let it add itself to context menus (an option while installing).

Open mp3tag and in Tools/Options/Tags/Mpeg make the Write option ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1.  That’s what the Fuze likes.

Go to the folder or files most recently added. . Right click, and just below Search… you should see mp3tag. Click it, mp3tag will list the files.Highlight them all, make sure there’s correct information in Title, Artist, Album and no weird characters. Blank out Comments–you can’t read them on the Fuze anyway. Save. That will make them all ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 and the Sansa should read them quite happily.

Besides big comments–some people try to stuff whole books in there–another thing that can stump the Fuze is large imbedded images in the files. You only need one album cover in the folder–not the album cover in every song. If changing the tag format and blanking out Comments doesn’t help, then go back to the album folder with mp3 tag and under View choose Extended Tags. Then you can see if the art is imbedded in the tag. The X symbol to the right of the displayed cover lets mp3tag delete it from the file, extract it and call it folder.jpg–the image the Fuze will use for the cover anyway.

Before I put anything on the Fuze, I run it through mp3tag–either using the Auto-Numbering Wizard under Tools, with leading zeroes (numbering tracks 01, 02, etc. the way the Fuze prefers) or just using Save to change it to ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1. Takes 5 seconds,