Let me start off by saying that majority of people will be able to update his/her firmware through the Sansa Firmware Updater. There is even a how-to video that explains the process. If for any reason the aforementioned steps do not work for you, then please feel free to continue by trying the more “computer savy” steps, described below.
I have received the 01.01.05a firmware for the Sansa Express. I was told this is the latest version thats on the updater. So if you’re having issues using the Sansa Firmware Updater, feel free to use the firmware files and instructions below.
- Unzip the files into a folder on your desktop.
- You’ll see a file called “StMp3Rec.sys”, move this to “C:\windows\system32\drivers”. If you already have this driver, no need to overwrite the files. You should also see another folder, this is the firmware update folder.
Back up everything that’s on your device. The firmware update may delete your files!
3. Press and hold the (-) volume button while plugging in device to PC. This took me a couple of tries, but eventually it connects with a drive letter instead of the “Sansa Express”.
4. If there’s message asking to install driver, choose “Yes, one time only” and follow the steps to complete driver installation. You should already have the driver as it is included in the zip, but it doesn’t hurt to verify.
5. Now, open up the firmware folder and double click on “SansaExpressUpdater.exe”.
6. A message will appear informing you that updating this firmware will erase everything on your device.
If you have not backed up your data, then please do so, or you’ll be sorry! Once backed up, proceed with the update process.
7. Once the update is completed, click on “Finish” and wait for 2 seconds before unpluging your Sansa Express from the computer. This ensures it is updated completely.
8. Now, you’ve completed updating your device.
Message Edited by MrSmileyFace on 03-11-2008 02:57 PM