SanDisk Extreme V2 1TB External SSD stopped working

My SanDisk Extreme V2 1TB External SSD died on me yesterday after less than 5 months of use.
The Macbook flashed an unsafely removed media warning as I was working, and the drive would not mount ever after.
There was no active process using the drive at the time, but it may have been used by a background process.
The SSD is not detectable by any Mac that I have tried connecting it to (i.e. it does not show as a device in the Mac Disk Utility).
It is still detected when connected to a Windows laptop and can be seen in the device manager, but doesnā€™t show in Windows Explorer or as ā€˜disk E:ā€™.
The customer support merely suggested requesting a replacement drive, without attempting to look into the details of the issue.

It looks like my case is not the only one of the kind, could anyone have found a solution to this issue?

1 Like

Hi @petr,

To resolve this issue, please follow the instructions from the below-mentioned link and let us know if the issue is resolved.

Title: SSD drive is not detected in the system

For Windows: USB Flash Drive or Memory Card Not Detected in Windows
For Mac: USB Flash Drive or Memory Card Not Detected in macOS

Hello, I have the same problem. It works ok, when I turn the USB-C cable around to switch ends - but then the speed is super slow (See this thread: Extremely slow).

It also stoped working/starting doing this after the latest MacOS update to Monterey (Similar report here: Unable to format Extreme Portable SSD V2 on MacOS Monterey)

@Keerti_01 : It is written there that SanDisk is working on it - is this still the case?

Otherwise I need to return it. Thanks.

Hi,

I appreciate that you have performed the troubleshooting steps.

Please contact the SD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://kb.sandisk.com/app/ask

Hello. I am facing a similar issue. It was working fine the day before but when I tried to use it the next day it is not opening/ showing up on any devices. If you find the solution please kindly reply.
Thank You.

Sometimes the solution to these things is hallucinatory you take out and return or replace a USB port and it works.
Turn off and on the computer or connect it to another computer.
If a conference still does not work, this link has guides or the SANDISK service at https://kb.sandisk.com/app/ask

Hope for you that no data has been deleted for you

Joined the forums just to report the same issue. Mine is 500GB, about a year old. Worked fine a week ago, now it wonā€™t mount on anything. Tried Windows, Mac, iOS, Android. On disk management it says ā€œNo Mediaā€ with no partitions detected. On mac it shows the device properties under USB in system info, but doesnā€™t mount. On Android it launches Memory Zone when plugged in, thinks for a few minutes then a prompt says ā€œDevice Not Supportedā€. No warning signs the drive was going to fail, no heat, no disconnections before this. It just suddenly stopped working. I opened an RMA case, but they want me to pay half the price of the device itself to ship it to HongKong before they honor the warranty. Never buying anything Sandisk or WD ever again. You can bet Iā€™m sharing my experience on social media.

1 Like

I have the same issue with a 512GB extreme pro. Wonā€™t mount - after 2 uses/saves on Mac. Checked links referred to by Keerti_01 and links canā€™t be found. Looking forward to some answers.

after 20 days of have the SanDisk Extreme Pro 4tb it is no longer detectable Mac. I had to go to disk utility and it says the hard drive is full? i have important files on this and donā€™t know what to do.

Same issue here. I received my 4TB SSD 9 days ago and spent about an hour a day backing up my personal and professional files - finished yesterday. This is insane.

Iā€™ve bought my Sandisk SSD 2 years ago and i only did 3 data backup (just some pictures & videos).

And yesterday when i was using it, the SSD just disconnected by itself. So iā€™ve decided to plug in off and plug in it again in my computer.

Since then, it appears like a E ā€œOptical Driveā€ and i have no access to the sandisk password software. In addition, the SSD connect and disconnect every 5 seconds.

Iā€™ve checked the Amazon comments and it seems that a lot of people are experiencing the same problemā€¦

Can Sandisk help us to retrieve our datas ?

Screen2

1 Like

I have my SSD disk just die on me with over 400GB of data. what is best solution since I can not access to the fix artical link any longer

I have the same problem. And it happened to me in the same way , Were you able to solve it ?

This is ridiculous. Iā€™ve ordered 8 of the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD V2 1Tb for my Techs to use as boot drives and/or storage etc. 7 out of 8 of these drives STOPPED WORKING with the same issues as described above. They donā€™t show/initialize. After the problem starts happening, if you can get them to initialize, good luck trying to copy anything. It will time out or take forever or crash windows. Sometimes you can take the USB TYPE A adapter off and use the USB C, and it will work as far as showing in Windows, but again you canā€™t use the drive to copy data on or get anything off because they slow down and will crash the OS. Sandisk products should be removed from our Corpā€™s online order options. Some of these drives were used in critical roles.

1 Like

I started this topic more than a year ago, and hereā€™s a belated update from my end.
SanDisk customer service requested the drive to be returned and sent me a replacement. It looked like this was their standard troubleshooting procedure, no attempts or guidelines to revive the drive.
The first replacement drive that arrived was a different discontinued model (slower, different looks, but same capacity). When reported to customer service, they acknowledged the error (or was it done on purpose?) and sent in a second replacement, which was the correct model. This replacement drive stopped working after only one month with the same symptoms, and one monthā€™s worth of work was lost.
I ended up using the wrong replacement drive that was sent in initially (see above) and it has been running for over a year without any issues. I try to remember to make regular backups though. Would I buy another SanDisk product? Probably not.

Iā€™m having the same problem! What is the solution so far? Iā€™m about to lose a lot of data.

at least data can be recovered
sandisk Extreme portable SSD stopped working2.PNG

I got the extreme pro hard drive a couple of weeks back and now it doesnā€™t load, I added all my files on the hard drive and now its gone :confused:

Please make a backup some of your imporatnt data immediately before the drive stop working randomly. I use Mac M1, I was able to recover some of my file use Disk Drill, if you are using Windows, I donā€™t know which software could recover the data.