SanDisk Extreme V2 1TB External SSD stopped working

I bought this item just a month ago, and it has already stopped working twice. I formatted it as an NTFS drive for use on my Windows laptop. However, it stopped working after just two days, and I was unable to fix it. Consequently, I had to reformat it to APFS for use on my Mac Mini M1. Unfortunately, after about three weeks of use, it stopped working again. I was able to recover some of my important files using Disk Drill on Mac.

I bought the previous version (E80, new version is E81), and it worked great for 3 years without any issues (External SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro E80 USB 3.1 Gen2 500GB SDSSDE80-500G-G25).

This is a known problem and needs to be addressed at a much higher level. These drives are problematic and junk. SanDisk should recall and replace these units.

SanDisk Extreme SSD Failure: Tips to Prevent from Further Damage you can recover data from a non-functional SanDisk Extreme V2 1TB External SSD, helping you retrieve your important files even if the drive has stopped working or is inaccessible.

Same thing.

Got it about a year ago. Backed up laptop. Tried to use it a month ago
 nothing.

Its been connected to a PC like 3 times in its entire life!

I chose the SanDisk product because of its reputation for reliability.

I would have still been disappointed if I had paid half as much for some Chinese POS and it broke on its third use but at least I wouldn’t been as surprised.

SanDisk? NEVER AGAIN.

1 Like

There is a new firmware update that you MUST do. My drive failed and I lost everything. All of the recovery programs out there are either malware or they lie. One told me it found 5TB on my 2TB disk and then said it found PDF’s, emails, etc. None of those files were ever on my drive, there were JPEG’s, Audio, and movies. So 
 deleted that recovery program.

In the end, I just reformatted the drive and updated the firmware. SanDisk should provide a recovery program that works for those who lost everything.

Can never trust this drive again.

1 Like

Mine crashed after using it only 4 times. There is a firmware update located on this website. It solved my problem and have been using it for a few weeks every day and no problems.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/50763

Same here. I was using my Sandisk Portable extreme v2 on 1T for a couple of times and suddenly got this. I think it is dead. Very disapointed with the quality. Not sure if the data going to be recoverable.
Opened the support ticket because it has 5 year warranty.

Hi! Thank you for posting the firmware link. Did it actually help retrieve data from the failed drive or did it just make it usable again but the data is lost? Thanks!

So same here, I bought the drive 2/28/23 at Costco and only used this drive a handful of times mainly to back up my entire file system. And now it is undetectable. Lost everything, I did happen to by a Seagate drive a few months back and created a second back up and I have an old portable drive that is slowly dying and a hopeful I can piece the missing files back together. Found an article about the issue and it being wide spread to SanDisk Pro, SanDisk 5TB, 1TB, etc. (https://www.extremetech.com/electronics/sandisk-portable-ssds-are-dying-left-and-right-but-only-some-models-will)

So now I am left trying to file a claim and am not able to see the SN on the back of the device, looking online I see articles talking about the same issue, it literally looks like like you printed it in a fading ink that is no longer readable, since the other writing in the same area of the device is still visible, this seems very sus. Where is serial number - #6 by mkhchu

So if you just got this drive, return it, or write down that number while it is still visible. Not sure how I can file a claim for the 5 year warranty when the SN is no longer on the 6 month old device.

If we have any suggestions for those of us that have our receipts and not able to fully see the SN please let me know how to proceed in your claims system.

we should all file legal case against WD for selling buggy ssds without even mentioning a disclaimer. All my data on the brand new SSD got lost!

SanDisk Extreme Pro v.2 4TB unexpectedly disconnects from a computer, finally with a total damage of the SSD.
Model: SDSSDE81-4T00

• SSD has the newest firmware, which should fix this issue - FW check says it’s up to date on 24.09.2023
  • Computer: MacBook Air M2 with Ventura13.4 OS (newest update)
  • disk encryption was switched off (=password disabled), so it should be recognised when pluged in

ExtremePro SSD was 2 times in use! A Virtual machine was installed on it. During operation as VM i.e. with high data loads, while installing new SW into the VM, the SSD lost randomly its USB connection in the OS. Cable, usb port etc. are fine. A Samsung USB 3.0. SSD runs perfectly at the same USB ports and application.

Since such issues repeated couple of times, it became impossible to acces the VM (due to data loss during its operation). VM has been reinstalled. Connection drop outs continued. Finally, the OS wasn’t able to recognize the USB drive at all!
Mac OS disk utility didn’t manage to make new partitions or to run successfully “First Aid” utility. 3rd party tools are also not able to see any media, which could be formatted or partitioned.

WD support ticket has been initiated filed as 230925-000286.

Question to the community: Did someone succeded to return such SSD to WD (and get money back) after a dealer’s regular return period ended?
I have no confidence at all in this product, even if I would get a replacement product from WD - it seems to be a systematic FW problem.

I am having same issue also.

Now on 3rd replacement drive, 2nd worked for while then failed.

3rd drive will work on another computer but won’t on brand new win 11 lenovo.

Reads drive under devices but cannot read, also cannot remove, I did see a registery edit possibility to completely remove the device and start again.

I now just want my money back rather than Replacements. Wasted hours of time and transport back and forth to dealer and Sandisk Singapore.

Sorry to hear about your SanDisk Extreme V2 1TB SSD issue. To troubleshoot, backup your data, repair file system errors, reformat the SSD to exFAT if necessary, check macOS compatibility, seek SanDisk support for replacement and data recovery options, and explore online forums for potential solutions.
You can find a helpful giveaway by EaseUS https://twitter.com/easeus_software/status/1701506692809359594

Hi, same problem 
 How to repair? Do you find answer ?