I’ve seen countless issues with sandisk USB drives and this is what I did to fix it. Please note, this involves moving files around and if your not careful you could make things horribly worse.
A few things to note
- The sandisk worked fine in any other OS except for Win7
- Sandisk wanted you to uninstall the “U3” software which you can’t do if you don’t have another computer the device is recognized on.
- I had completely obliterated everything on the drive including all special partitions etc including any and all U3 files without using any kind of sandisk un-installer. [Please note I used a low level hardware format but it’s not something any one needs to do for this to work]
4.Normally it would be detected as a storage controller but then would fail to install and listed itself as an unknown device. Previous suggestions from forums and Sandisk FAQ’s failed to work.
1.The first thing I did was delete the usbstor.inf file in c:\windows\inf (you may want to put a copy on your desktop just to be safe)
When I put the USB stick into a USB port it detected it again but this time it showed up as Cruzer in other devices in device manager. (Device manager can be accessed by right clicking on your “computer” icon and selecting manage.)
2.I then copied the file usbstore.inf from C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbstor.inf_amd64_neutral_xxxxxxxx where xxxxx could be any combination of numbers and/or letters. The actual directory where this file is found is probably in a different location for your install of windows, depending on your specific comptuer. You could see _intel or _x86 it just depends on the type of operating system and computer you have. (The file should be in a subdirectory of C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\) Another way to find the file is to do a search in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ for the usbstore.inf file.)
3.When I scanned for hardware changes in Device Manager, (you should see the name of your computer at the top, just right click and select scan for hardware changes) this time it picked it up as the correct device and installed it as a USB mass storage device.
Although I didn’t try it, I suppose it’s also possible to simply remove the original usbstore.inf file from the c:\windows\inf directory and put it back later instead of copying the other one.
I hope this helps anyone who still has the issue. If this didn’t work for you or you had another issue pop up. I’ll try and keep an eye on this post.