Trouble Recognizing Sandisk Cruzer drive in Windows 7

I’ve been having problems with the Sandisk Cruzer drive in Windows 7 Pro for a while. It only happens on the Dell Omniplex 790 computer. I have no issues with the same drive on my other Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit machine.

Sometimes when I first plug the drive in after starting Windows, it works but if I safely remove the drive and then plug it back in, Windows doesn’t recognize the drive. I have to go into Device Manager, where it is listed and uninstall the drive. Once the drive is uninstalled, I remove it and then plug it back in and then Windows installs the driver and the drive opens up and works fine until I have to remove the drive, then it fails to be recognized or open up when I plug it back in.

I have to uninstall the drive in Device Manager every time and reinsert the drive for Windows to install the driver.

Hi @DarrellS,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the SD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:

How do I do that?

I have three Sandisk Cruzer Glide drives and I have the issue with all three drives on the Dell computer. They all work fine in my home built PC. The home built PC has Windows 7 Ultimate 64 and the Dell has Windows 7 Pro.

I tried the fix mentioned in the “Not Recognized In Windows” thread but it did not work. I even replaced the usbstor.inf file with the one in my home built PC and added two more driver files that the Dell PC didn’t have. I thought it fixed it after inserting the drive and safely removing three times but on the fourth try it failed. I tried to update the two driver files in the Dell with newer files from my home built PC but Windows would not let me remove them or change the name so I could put the newer files in the driver folder.

Sometimes, a simple computer restart can resolve temporary glitches or conflicts that may be preventing the Sandisk Cruzer drive from being recognized. Restart your Windows 7 computer and check if the drive is detected upon reboot.

USB ports can become worn and oxidized. I have to clean my Windows 7’s USB ports about once a year. A slight brush with emory paper does it for me.

It’s not a temporary glitch. It happens almost every time I eject the drive and plug it back in. Sometimes it works when I reboot the PC (why would I want to reboot every time I have this issue?) but I either have to uninstall the USB Root Hub which also requires a reboot or do what I do now which is uninstall the Cruzer drive in Device Manager and reinsert the drive which re-installs the driver which fixes the issue momentarily until I remove the drive and try to insert it again.

I guess the only solution is to buy a thumb drive that will work on the Dell computer.

Or clean the Dell’s USB ports as I suggested.

All eleven of them? That’s how many USB ports that I have and I’ve tried at least six of them. Like I said, it’s not a USB port problem. All my other USB devices work fine. It seems to be a driver issue. as long as the correct driver is installed, the drive works fine until I eject the drive. Then the driver seems to get corrupted and trying to update the driver does not work since Windows says it already has the correct driver installed. The only way to momentarily fix the problem is to uninstall the drive in Device Manager and force Windows to install a good driver. That works until I eject the drive then I have to do the same thing over and over and over again.

Check out this video to fix the issue. The most important aspect of fixing this error is the recovery of inaccessible data when your drive becomes unreadable.