Rockbox vs. Sansa firmware devastated my e280....help!

Okay, here’s the situation. I installed Rockbox on my e280 version 1 and was actually digging it. I have 3 computers and it worked fine on all of them until…I plugged it into my laptop yesterday and my updater for sansa was on and gave me a new firmware update, so I accepted it. When the e280 restarted it went back to the sansa firmware and rockbox and all the music on the unit was gone! I checked the microsd card in external reader and the files were still on it, but not showing up on the player. So, I went to reinstall rockbox and I keep getting “mount point” error? I look in “my computer” and the player shows up, but not with a drive letter.

So, I went ahead and was just going to use the sansa firmware and sync back up with WMP11 but, it keeps giving me error on every file in the sync process and won’t sync anything. Now I am stuck doing the drag and drop generic way which I don’t like to do on sansa firmware. Now, this is the case with all 3 computers, it is not an isolated incident which makes it an issue with the e280. 

Please help! 

Thanks

The firmware update resets the unit to MTP mode. Then your WMP 11 may have automatically synched to it–and if the files on your unit weren’t on the computer, it conveniently got rid of them to match what’s on your computer. Isn’t automation wonderful.

The firmware update probably also erased all or part of Rockbox. I know formatting does that. 

The best thing to do is, first,  stop the automated processes. Get rid of the updater on your computers. There won’t be any more updates. Connect one more time in MTP mode to WMP 11 and look through Tools/Options to turn off Auto-synch (you can manually sync when you want to do that).

Then I suggest you:

(1) Do a manual firmware installation as explained in the stickies near the top of the first forum page, in case something went awry with the updater.

(2) If you have Windows XP, go to Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs/Add-Remove Microsoft Components and uncheck Windows Media Player, reboot. That will roll back WMP to the version that came with XP, which is WMP 9, and then you can reinstall WMP 11 from the Microsoft website. (The Sansa needs WMP 10 or above. Some Sansa users are happier with WMP 10 than WMP 11, so you could install that via Microsoft if you prefer.) 

If you’re on Vista, which doesn’t let you uninstall WMP, see if there’s a way to repair or update WMP 11 via Microsoft.

(3) Connect to the computer in MSC mode and go into Device Manager and uninstall the Sansa (under USB Controllers). Turn off, reboot, connect the Sansa and find it in My Computer. 

Then the unit should be pretty clean, and ready for another try at Rockbox.

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 06-25-2009 07:48 PM

Wow! That looks like fun! Lol. I am going to give it a shot and will let you know how I fair.

Thanks!!!

As Black-Rectangle suggested, the unit probably got switched back to MTP mode. This would explain why you can’t see any of the music on the player if it was put on in MSC mode, and why you’re not getting the typical drive letter assignments when you connect to your computer.

Also Rockbox is MSC only firmware. It won’t work with MTP mode. This may account for your RB error msg.

Hmm. I thought ediddle71 meant that the music was off the unit itself–not that it couldn’t be seen. Especially since the plan was then to sync with WMP11. 

But hey, try switching to MSC mode and don’t do any of the other stuff yet (except stopping the automation).  Maybe the music is still there and Rockbox is ready to be reinstalled. 

SUCCESS!!! WOOT WOOO!!! THANK YOU!

Which worked? Just switching to MSC? Or the 12-step program?

@tapeworm wrote:

As Black-Rectangle suggested, the unit probably got switched back to MTP mode. This would explain why you can’t see any of the music on the player if it was put on in MSC mode, and why you’re not getting the typical drive letter assignments when you connect to your computer.

Also Rockbox is MSC only firmware. It won’t work with MTP mode. This may account for your RB error msg.

Actually, I believe Rockbox can read all the files on the player whether they were put on the player in MSC mode or MTP mode.  The player must be in MSC mode during Rockbox installation, but after the initial installation is complete, you can use the player in MTP mode if you prefer.  Of course, Rockbox won’t play DRM files regardless.

I did the long version and it worked perfect! The files were not on the player afterwards, but that was okay. I reinstalled Rockbox with no “mount error” message. Then after reinstalling WMP (couldn’t get 9 or 10, made me take 11) It worked perfect too. I then deleted the files WMP synced and switched back to the Rockbox way and drag n dropped all my files that way to the player and external card via card reader. When I was syncing after reinstall of WMP the album art was at best a 50/50 showing on the player, and Rockbox showed all album art. The only issue I have now is some of my files(not too many) sync up and show under files, but when I go to play them they won’t play? All my files are either MP3 or WMA and both formats do work on the player, yet some don’t?

The .wma files may have sneaky nasty DRM information built in. You may have to send those over in MTP mode with Windows Media Player so it can send the DRM to unlock them.