ReadyCache and defragmentation

How is ReadyCache compatible with disk defragmentation? Is it bad or good?

if you defrag the HDD it will not affect the readycache SSD. 

But I suppose the cache content will become outdated, and it will have to learn again, right?

the expresscache software have a defrag engine built in. Once installed the expresscache software will handle all defrag services of the computer and any windows defrag commands will be ignored. 

>> the expresscache software have a defrag engine built in. Once installed the expresscache software will handle all defrag services of the computer and any windows defrag commands will be ignored. 

Does this ignore just to the Windows 7 or 8 defrag commands?

What is the effect of running an external defrag program such as Diskeeper or PerfectDisk?  Will the cache just get flushed or are there other problems or considerations?  Maybe I should disable the cache before running PerfectDisk?

It is not necessary to disable the cache to run an external defragmentation utility. THe component within ExpressCache (which is the same defrag engine within Diskeeper) will provide the defragmentation service by itself. If you wish to run PerfectDisk, you may do so with no consequence to the tiered caching solution. Although I do not feel that there is any reason to do so as the subsystem should be frament free.

If I defrag my hd with another program (specially at boot-time before windows starts), I’ll get a message saying that the cache needs to be rebuit. This is expectable behaviour.

But the problem with ReadyCache’s defragmenting service for those with 3rd party defrag software, is that is has no configuration. If I resort to manually using 3rd party defrag software the way, and when I want it (with specific defrag methods for each drive, etc) ReadycCache will trash those drives for hours with it’s own defrag algorithm (that seems to only consolidate free space) at unproper times, messing up my custom defrag file mapping. It’ll then move newlly modified files to the beggining of the drive if there are gaps, etc.

I think at least an option to disable this function should be added.

I’m under the impression that the Expresscache defrag service is designed specifically to improve Expresscache performance.

So it would seem using a different defragmenter would simply slow Expresscache down.

Nevertheless it should be an optional feature, even if enabled by default.

Prior to SanDisk SSD, I used PerfectDisk to defrag my disk drives, usually once or twice a week.

Now once every couple weeks, I open the ExpressCache icon, disable caching, and then Clear Cache.  Then I run PerfectDisk to defrag the 2 internal disk drives.  After that completes, I re-enable the Cache.  This seems to work fine.

Anyone else doing something similar or think this approach could cause a problem?

I did a re-install of Windows 7 last week, and installed the Readycache at the same time.

During this I wrote a lot of data, as I had reformatted the harddrive, so I think this lead to a lot of fragmentation.

I just analyzed my hard disk with the Win 7 defrag tool and it says the disk is 11% fragmented.

So does this mean Readycache software isn’t showing the defrag tool the true state of the disk?

Or is it really that fragmented?

Just checked my hard drives and they show 0% fragmentation. I did a fresh format and install couple weeks ago.

Maybe let a few more days pass then see if it still shows as fragmented.

Another thing is how you use your computer. IIRC defrag runs while the computer is idle and at set times. So if you’re always active on computer and then shut it down, ther is no “idle” time for defrag to run.

Well its now reading 10% fragmented, its had at least 4 hours being on and idle, so its seems to be defragmenting very slowly.