Question on Sticky Thread and latest Firmware

Hi, I’ve done a lot of searching but I’m still confused by the following sticky;

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=express&thread.id=1130

It states the current Firmware version is 1.01.15 but I just updated my firmware yesterday (4/4) using the automatic updater and it installed V. 1.01.05A (not 01.01.05A2 as some have claimed to be the most current).

My unit is a Sansa Express 1Gb, model #BB0702SJB.

So which is the most recent update?

My biggest interest is the ability to gain support for a Kingston 4Gb MicroSdHC (Class 4) card which I’m about to purchase.

Have any more of you had success using the 4Gb (or larger) MicroSdHC cards specially the Kingston brand?

Thanks for the help.

Message Edited by newday2day on 04-05-2008 04:00 PM

@newday2day wrote:

Hi, I’ve done a lot of searching but I’m still confused by the following sticky;

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=express&thread.id=1130

It states the current Firmware version is 1.01.15 but I just updated my firmware yesterday (4/4) using the automatic updater and it installed V. 1.01.05A (not 01.01.05A2 as some have claimed to be the most current).

My unit is a Sansa Express 1Gb, model #BB0702SJB.

So which is the most recent update?

My biggest interest is the ability to gain support for a Kingston 4Gb MicroSdHC (Class 4) card which I’m about to purchase.

Have any more of you had success using the 4Gb (or larger) MicroSdHC cards specially the Kingston brand?

Thanks for the help.

Message Edited by newday2day on 04-05-2008 04:00 PM

Maybe you were reading my post. I had firmware 01.01.05A2, but I just flashed the firmware manually a few days ago and now I have 01.01.05A, same as you. I was trying to get my Express to read more than 4gB of music on a micro SD card. After failing to do so after a few trys, I updated the firmware to make sure that I had the latest. Now mine is 01.01.05.

Though, I was only testing. I do not really want to use an 8gB card. The 1000 song limitation eliminates any possibility that I can use anything higher than a 4gB card. Also, officially Sandisk does not support 6gB or 8gB cards on the Express. See the 2nd or 3rd sticky thread of this forum.

As for your Kingston, some users have reported problems with non-Sandisk cards. It might be hit or miss whether or not it works on your player. The Sandisk brand 4gB cards are relatively cheap, about $23.00 including shipping, on Amazon. You might want to consider looking at those instead.

I should also point out that a few users have written they have gotten over 1000 songs on their Express and at least one user wrote that he uses over 6gB of music on a micro SD card. It didn’t work for me, but it might for you.

Thanks for the info Mr_Moose. So then is safe to assume the sticky regarding Firmware version 1.01.15 is just a typo?

I’ve had two of these 1GB S.E. for about a year now and I’m very happy with them. I basically use them to keep two major Genres separated (and then sub-genres), makes it easier to listen to the stuff I’m in the mood for quickly.

I tend to use high bit transfer rates as I also use them hardwired thru my car stereo (they sound pretty decent for what they are) so the 1000 song bug is not an issue for me as long as I can get a 4Gb card to work. That will give me two 5Gb players until the new Fuze 8Gb comes out and drops a bit in price.

Please post up any additional info you get with these larger size SDHC cards as you continue to experiment.

Message Edited by newday2day on 04-05-2008 07:23 PM