Same problem here, with something of a workaround (but one I consider unacceptable). I wonder if this has to do with low power conditions?
Bought a Sansa Express 1 MB, and a Lexar 2GB microSD with it. Hooked it up to XP and installed 01.01.01A firmware, then copied files to both chips (internal and the Lexar card). Listened for a while, then connected to my laptop to charge overnight. Next morning, dead Express. I learned that laptops might not put out enough jiuce on the USB port, so I bought a separate AC/USB charger and charged overnight again. Next day, no songs showed up from the microSD card. Upon further investigation, the card itself was not acknowledged by the player. As if it wasn’t even present! For a while, I thought maybe the slot had gone bad.
I tried formatting and reformatting from the player software, with no luck.
Finally, I inserted the microSD into its full size SD adapter and then into a separate USB 8-in-1 card reader. Used Windows XP to reformat as FAT16 again.
When I returned the card to the Express, it was recognized and worked as before, with no problems. If a standalone card reader and computer are *required* to fix this bug, this is unacceptable. When I’m on the road, I don’t have these things handy.
Whether this is a firmware bug or a power loss problem - it’s a mistake and it should be fixed. It’s a convenient and cool little player, but I did not buy it so that I could work out solutions to problems that it should not have in the first place. I refuse to beta test a problem this rudimentary. There’s no way I can prevent it from running down power to some “mystery point” where it corrupts the microSD chip… I’ll try to reproduce this, and if I can, it’s going back.
Message Edited by jamesmhebert on 08-01-2007 09:56 PM