Micro SD cards over 2 gig: clarification?

Ive read what i can find on the subject so im looking for clarification

Does the player support over 2 gigs of additional memory?

Im getting this player for christmas and id love to bump it up to 6gig by using a new 4gig card

Can anyone shed any concrete light on this?

Yes it does support the 4G microSD with firmware 01.01.01

Do you mean it supports 4GB TOTAL (2 + 2) or that you can use the 4GB card ?

Are you sure about this ?

Is this what you are doing ?

Have you tested it ?

I think the new firmware not only supports 4G but also 6G and 8G.  I don’t have 6 & 8 to test how it’s doing but it would be nice.  So if you want the 4G support for sure, upgrade to the new firmware 1.01.05

I’ve just bought a 4GB micro SD card and my express doesn’t seem to like it.  I’ve got the latest firmware (01.01.05) by the way.

When I start up the MP3 player I get a message saying Refresh database, do not remove SD card.

Anyone got any ideas?

@peter_l wrote:

…When I start up the MP3 player I get a message saying Refresh database, do not remove SD card…

The start-up message is normal.

If you are using a Sandisk brand card, check “Settings”/ System Info" and check if the card is being read by the Express.

If your card is not a Sandisk brand, then your 4gB card may not work. See the attached thread. Sandisk knows about problems with PNY and Kingston, most likely other brands have problems with the Express. Sandisk doesn’t seem to be too worried about the problem, they haven’t put out new firmware to resolve the problem.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=express&thread.id=1130 

It now operates as normal but flashes this message on start-up.  I believe the player is not at fault now, it’s not 100% since I left it in a friend’s car for 2 months but sorting itself out as it gets used to being used again, or perhaps it’s just me forgetting a few “eccentricities”!  It detects the card, seeing the correct amount of free space and it is a Sandisk 4gb Micro SDHC.

I’m using the sync function on Windows Media Player 11 which sees the card (separate to the MP3 player but as an expansion card as does Windows explorer, claims to be writing to it but only gives it the name of the albums I try to put on it but not the song.  Does this give you any clues?  Thanks for the reply.

@peter_l wrote:

It now operates as normal but flashes this message on start-up.  I believe the player is not at fault now, it’s not 100% since I left it in a friend’s car for 2 months but sorting itself out as it gets used to being used again, or perhaps it’s just me forgetting a few “eccentricities”!  It detects the card, seeing the correct amount of free space and it is a Sandisk 4gb Micro SDHC.

I’m using the sync function on Windows Media Player 11 which sees the card (separate to the MP3 player but as an expansion card as does Windows explorer, claims to be writing to it but only gives it the name of the albums I try to put on it but not the song.  Does this give you any clues?  Thanks for the reply.

Update your firmware following the instructions in the attached thread.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=express&thread.id=1143

I also suggest placing your card in a card reader and copying the music from your computer to the card reader, then placing the card in the Express. I have had an occasional problem with dragging music to the micro SD card while it was inserted in the Express. I have had much better results using a card reader.

I’ve already got that firmware (US version for the radio which works nicely even in pockets!) thanks.

I think I’ve got to the bottom of it in that my laptop doesn’t like SDHC, hence doesn’t see anything in it’s card reader through the adapter and perhaps it’s something similar that’s affecting the express.  I’ve just ordered a USB sandisk micro SDHC card reader from amazon, hope that solves it and if not I’ve got a nice memory card to back things up for less than 4 gig would normally cost.

I also tried drag and drop via the express with the same result, but here’s hoping…

Thanks for the help.