Possible to prevent Rhapsody from connecting to Clip+?

Hi all, if I have Rhapsody running, and I connect the Clip to my PC, Rhapsody will automatically try to update licenses on the Clip – this takes a long time (I have a lot of Rhapsody files on my Clip) and then when I disconnect the Clip, it has to refresh the database, which also takes a long time.

Is there a way to prevent Rhapsody from automatically talking to the Clip? I’d rather plug my Clip into my PC, and have Rhapsody do nothing – and then, in Rhapsody (if I want to) click something to make it connect to the clip.

Possible? Thanks! 

New sansa and when downloading Rhapsody, it has been on for 5 hours and has not completed.  Do I have to use Rhapsody to use my sansa clip?

No, you definitely don’t need to use Rhapsody with your Clip.

Haven’t used Rhapsody since getting a Clip 2 years ago …

@miikerman wrote:
Haven’t used Rhapsody since getting a Clip 2 years ago …

I like the combo – I can copy unlimited albums over to the Clip+ (space permitting)…

If Rhapsody must be open (I use it on occasion to listen online), try clicking on the Sansa in the Sources Pane, then select Disconnect from the button on the upper right.  The button behaves like a “safely remove” function.

With multiple Sansas plugged in, I have found that I can drop individual devices from “the food chain” if needed.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

If Rhapsody must be open (I use it on occasion to listen online), try clicking on the Sansa in the Sources Pane, then select Disconnect from the button on the upper right.  The button behaves like a “safely remove” function.

With multiple Sansas plugged in, I have found that I can drop individual devices from “the food chain” if needed.

But at that point, you’ve already connected, no?

If you keep a fair amount of tracks on your Clip and also use Rhapsody to listen online, you might know exactly what I mean – it takes a long time for Rhapsody to “look” at the Clip when it connects, and then the Clip has do do a refresh when you disconnect.

I’m hoping for a way to leave Rhapsody open, and to be able to plug in the Clip (for example, to charge it) without triggering the big re-sync/refresh process.

I run into this issue regularly, with multiple devices.  Often, I’ll plug in a Sansa, with the Rhapsody client logged in to a different account (I have several separate ones).  Rhapsody sees the new device, of course.

The communications session is in MTP mode, so unplugging issues are less problematic.  If I dock a device like the e280, Rhapsody loafs along checking the device out, and this slows the other devices’ session.  In this case, I select Disconnect.

There isw a “bare knuckles” method of preventing this issue: I have several “null” cables, with the data pins interrupted, and only the power pins (outer two) live.  This way, I’m only tapping electrical power for charging, but the Sansa will not open a comm session on the port.  You can modify a cable by placing a piece of tape over the two center pins.

Bob  :wink:

@neutron_bob wrote:

I run into this issue regularly, with multiple devices.  Often, I’ll plug in a Sansa, with the Rhapsody client logged in to a different account (I have several separate ones).  Rhapsody sees the new device, of course.

The communications session is in MTP mode, so unplugging issues are less problematic.  If I dock a device like the e280, Rhapsody loafs along checking the device out, and this slows the other devices’ session.  In this case, I select Disconnect.

There isw a “bare knuckles” method of preventing this issue: I have several “null” cables, with the data pins interrupted, and only the power pins (outer two) live.  This way, I’m only tapping electrical power for charging, but the Sansa will not open a comm session on the port.  You can modify a cable by placing a piece of tape over the two center pins.

Bob  :wink:

Actually, that gives me an idea – what if you switch the Clip+ to MSC before you plug it in?

You’ll find something interesting about the Rhapsody client.  Rather than seeing Sansa Clip 8GB for example, you’ll see the MSC listing, all in capital letters, E: SANSA CLIP

If you try sending a music file to the device in this mode, the client will tell you that the track must be purchased as an mp3 file.  (You can specify the type as mp3 or wma, though Rhapsody’s migrating to 256kb/s mp3 for purchases.)

It’s my hope that the folks at RealNetworks figure out that plenty of us have the Rhapsody client open to listen to music, and our portable machines are plugged in regularly just for a recharge.  I’d prefer if the client would ask if we’d like to connect first.