What does it take?? SansaClip vs. Rhapsody...

I’m so frustrated. If I had known my wonderful little mp3 player was going to be connected with a

(in my irritable opinion) $$-only org. like Rhapsody, and everything  (practically), contigent on it’s music and PAY-FOR services, I would have kept looking for another player.

I guess I am one of those people who need to have very clearly written instructions, because

the one’s that came with my SansaClip were hard to find, not to mention they didn’t really explain what I was

getting myself into.  If someone didn’t know how to use a computer at all, then 'God-Help-‘Em’.Yeah, I know SansaClip has been discontinued.

Put it in LAYMAN’s Terms, please. Or include a SansaClip ■■■■■’s Guide for those of us who are older. :slight_smile:

I will figure out a way, well, I pretty much have…to use my great little player without having to PAY for something I don’t want, having already PAID for my player. NO Rhapsody for me–or that little program that decides to delete

& supervise what and how long I can have my own music on my player. Anyone have any extra hints??  Thanks ahead!

@tillifreeze wrote:

I’m so frustrated. If I had known my wonderful little mp3 player was going to be connected with a

(in my irritable opinion) $$-only org. like Rhapsody, and everything  (practically), contigent on it’s music and PAY-FOR services, I would have kept looking for another player.

I guess I am one of those people who need to have very clearly written instructions, because

the one’s that came with my SansaClip were hard to find, not to mention they didn’t really explain what I was

getting myself into.  If someone didn’t know how to use a computer at all, then 'God-Help-‘Em’.Yeah, I know SansaClip has been discontinued.

Put it in LAYMAN’s Terms, please. Or include a SansaClip ■■■■■’s Guide for those of us who are older. :slight_smile:

I will figure out a way, well, I pretty much have…to use my great little player without having to PAY for something I don’t want, having already PAID for my player. NO Rhapsody for me–or that little program that decides to delete

& supervise what and how long I can have my own music on my player. Anyone have any extra hints??  Thanks ahead!

OK.Do you own CDs? It sounds like Im being a Jerk by asking that but I was suprised to find people out there who dont. YOU DO NOT NEED RHAPSODY! And the Clip is actually (I think) The leader from Sansa right now, and is not Discontinued It is extremely popular. 

If you dont own CDs then dont bother reading what I am about to write.

Heres what you can do. Make Sure you have Windows media player installed. Then Uninstall Rhapsody. Then Format your Clip(Settings>Format> Yes). Then Get your CDs and use Windows Media Player to Rip the songs to your computer as mp3s. If you need I will give you directions for that. Then plug the Clip in, and go to the Sync Tab in Windows media player, and find the songs you want to add and drag the files to the sync list, and hit sync and it will add them to your player.  You will be able to listen to them as long as you want

BTW… I Hate Rhapsody TOO

Just to represent the non-Rhapsody haters here, I actually bought my clip so I could put songs from my Rhapsody library on it.  I already had a Rhapsody account I use with a Squeezebox (another great gadget).

I tried the 30-day free trial of Rhapsody on the Squeezebox and by about day 15 I was totally convinced to sign up.  For the price of one CD per month I have complete access to a HUGE library of music.  And the sound quality at 192kb/sec is very good.    I can listen through the Squeezebox at home or take it with me on the clip. 

I really like Rhapsody too.I have a blue 2 gig sansa clip.

You do NOT need Rhapsody to use the Clip.

You can rip and load your own CDs as conversionbox said. Or you can purchase music from amazon.com or walmart.com or emusic.com. (And probably other I don’t know about).  With those three, once you buy the songs or albums you can do what you want with them. Play them on your PC or copy to the Cip or other music player or even burn them to CDs. What ever you want.

IMO. Sandisk made a big mistake in their marketing materials for Rhapsody in not making it clear that it’s an OPTIONAL service, absolutely no reason you NEED to subscribe.

The reason Rhapsody is prominent in the package is that the Sansa is a RhapPFS compatible device, meaning that it will support all Rhapsody features, if you so decide to do.  Many new users do not know of the long running relationship with RealNetworks, Rhapsody and SanDisk.

The e200 Series Sansa Rhapsody was adapted specially to support the Rhapsody Helix / RAX format, making DRM issues very simple.  This was several years ago.  It’s a bonus that the new devices “magically” transform when Rhapsody is added.  They have the advantage of supporting secure WMA format, Audible, Overdrive Media, Napster, and other services without hassle.

Many users would like a device that they can simply plug in, sign in, and find new music.  Rhapsody gives this option, just like Apple has iTunes.  Napster is an option too.

The advantage, after working with the Sansa, is that the source of music, the format, the digital codec employed, the resolution, the music management method…all of these options are up to you, the user.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

computer: select folders with music, ctrl-c

open player drive: navigate to ‘music’ directory, ctrl-v

boosh!

The simplest explanation I ever read!   :slight_smile:

Rhapsody is not available to us in the UK afaik, and yet the Clip is, and is eminantly usable.

In fact I don’t even know what Rhapsody is - but i’m guessing it’s a bit like iTunes (sorry for the bad language :wink:)

Nige.

Rhapsody is a music subscription service:  for as long as you pay a monthly subscription fee, you have the right to download and play the music offered by it.  The plus side:  a wide selection of music.  The minus side:  once you stop paying the monthly fee, you no longer have the ability to play the music. 

I have Rhapsody and today I also started adding podcasts.Real easy.Just download them to the computer(Windows Vista) and then drag and drop them into the podcast section of the clip.