Podcast sort bug using latest firmware (1.01.29A)

I have read several posts about sorting but none seemed to be this problem.  I download Clark Howard podcasts using iTunes and his podcasts are broken up into two podcasts, 1 for each hour.  Let’s say I have two days worth of podcasts:

Clark Howard_ July 21 - Hour 1.mp3

Clark Howard_ July 21 - Hour 2.mp3

Clark Howard_ July 22 - Hour 1.mp3

Clark Howard_ July 22 - Hour 2.mp3

The new sorting plays the most recent first, supposedly.  However, what they play in this order:

My preference is that I listen to the Podcasts in the order they aired.  More importantly I want to at least here the same days podcasts together.

Finally, these podcasts use VBR mess up display, FF, RW after about 10 minutes of the podcast - but this is another problem.

Any ideas?

Is this a bug or is it working as designed?  Is there a way to turn the time-based sort off and just sort by name?

A work around is to put the podcasts in the audiobooks folder and change the genre to audiobook.  Audiobooks play by sorted name rather than reverse sorted name.

@steveg wrote:
A work around is to put the podcasts in the audiobooks folder and change the genre to audiobook.  Audiobooks play by sorted name rather than reverse sorted name.

Thanks SteveG for the workaround.  Is there any thought of the next firmware fixing this?  If the sorter just sorted by date/time, the order at least would be correct.  It is unusable as it is and requires manual intervention to fix this.

I really wonder what led the sansa folks to design the podcast order the way the did.  It seems that the newest first order was done on purpose, was even mentioned as one of the improvements with the last firmware release:

“• Podcast content is sorted with newest episode first.”

Personally I’d always want to listen oldest to newest. 

@rdow wrote:

I really wonder what led the sansa folks to design the podcast order the way the did.  It seems that the newest first order was done on purpose, was even mentioned as one of the improvements with the last firmware release:

“• Podcast content is sorted with newest episode first.”

Personally I’d always want to listen oldest to newest. 

I agree, even worse it isn’t even in reverse order as seen from the above order of playback. It is really silly.  I wish Sansa would consider donating the firmware to the open source community so we could fix things like this quickly.

The natural order for both books and podcasts is a sequence from oldest to newest.  I have found that podcasts “stolen” by the new podcast folder do indeed reverse the order.  Hey, how about a selection to change that in a submenu?

The default shoud be oldest to newest, for smooth transition when listening. 

I’m hoping the order will be amended in the future.

bob  :stuck_out_tongue: 

@neutron_bob wrote:

The natural order for both books and podcasts is a sequence from oldest to newest.  I have found that podcasts “stolen” by the new podcast folder do indeed reverse the order.  Hey, how about a selection to change that in a submenu?

The problem is the sort is not even oldest to newest in my example above.  I’m not sure how/why the sort is the way it is.

The sorting order is strange – I thought it was based on filename but it’s clearly not.  Look at the tags and see if there is some other tag being used for a secondary sort as it appears the primary sort may be “Clark Howard” or the name of the podcast which is the same across all 4 parts you mention.

There is a subtle hierarchy to the sort order, depending upon the available ID3 tag data within the podcast file.

For example, my feeds from NASA sort by episode number, unlike the others.

Others sort by the broadcast date; it’s dependent upon the podcaster’s data as tagged on the file.

You can look at this via WiMP, by using the “advanced tag editor”, but the application if totally kludgy compared to MP3Tag, a free application.  Using MP3Tag, you can edit the fields and amend all kinds of sorting issues.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

@neutron_bob wrote:

There is a subtle hierarchy to the sort order, depending upon the available ID3 tag data within the podcast file.

For example, my feeds from NASA sort by episode number, unlike the others.

Others sort by the broadcast date; it’s dependent upon the podcaster’s data as tagged on the file.

You can look at this via WiMP, by using the “advanced tag editor”, but the application if totally kludgy compared to MP3Tag, a free application.  Using MP3Tag, you can edit the fields and amend all kinds of sorting issues.

Do you know of a command line interface to allow me to automate this?  Currently I already convert from vbr using vbrfixwin (so my timeline is correct).  If I can change the tags on the fly that would be great as well.

I think MP3Tag is the most powerful editor out there.  It can do batch tagging as well.

Tag is a good command line tool.  MP3Tag is a great GUI tool, but I don’t think it has a command line mode.

@steveg wrote:

This does not work - I changed the Genre to Audiobook and placed them in the Audiobooks folder on the Clip and the resulting order is below.

This doesn’t make any sense to me to have the Podcasts sorted in reverse order.  I read the explaination that “most users are up to date on their podcasts”.  I am NEVER up to date.  How do we get SanDisk to put a sort order option on the podcasts?

It drives me crazy to listen to a podcast, delete it, and then have to go “back to podcasts” to scroll up 1.

Bare minmum when I delete a podcast it should go UP one to what is the next podcast, not down.

I guess that SanDisk is just trying to encourage you to stay up-to-date.

:wink:

I agree with your preference.  Having said that, I also understand and appreciate SanDisk’s rationale–that a listener may want to catch up with the latest/most recent podcast and news first–although I think that this doesn’t work out as well as the counterproposal in real life.  But it’s nice to have a company that actually thinks about these things.

Message Edited by Miikerman on 08-05-2008 03:15 PM

The main point here is that it sorts incorrect no matter what the intent.  I am a developer and have a script to work with the Clip’s lack of dealing with VBR and I am unable to work around this problem.  It does not sort correctly by most recent (which should be a preference anyway) and that is the point - it is a bug that is very annoying and makes me not use my Clip.

@neutron_bob wrote:

I agree with Bob. Hey Sansa, are you listening? I like a smooth continuim in my listening as well - like listening to part 2 AFTER part 1, etc.

I wonder if assigning “tracks” via a tag editor would help in this matter? 

This sounds like these are the file names. The player only sorts by tags. Did you check the tags? Maybe the problem is that the titles are “hour 1”, “hour 1”, “hour 2” and “hour 2” - that would explain the sorting. In this case you can edit the tags, adding the date to the title (e.g. make it 20080721 hour 1, 20080721 hour 2, 20080722 hour 1 and 20080722 hour 2). That way the sorting should be correct, thought still in reverse order. 

A work-around for playing podcasts old to new is to drag and drop them one by one - newest first, oldest last. It will first play the file that you dropped into the folder last. Not very elegant, but it works until there is a better solution. And less trouble while listening to the podcasts.  :slight_smile:

Greetings

@pree wrote:

This sounds like these are the file names. The player only sorts by tags. Did you check the tags? Maybe the problem is that the titles are “hour 1”, “hour 1”, “hour 2” and “hour 2” - that would explain the sorting. In this case you can edit the tags, adding the date to the title (e.g. make it 20080721 hour 1, 20080721 hour 2, 20080722 hour 1 and 20080722 hour 2). That way the sorting should be correct, thought still in reverse order. 

A work-around for playing podcasts old to new is to drag and drop them one by one - newest first, oldest last. It will first play the file that you dropped into the folder last. Not very elegant, but it works until there is a better solution. And less trouble while listening to the podcasts.  :slight_smile:

![](file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/jball/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg)

Greetings

The title looks correct.  Not sure how to upload a screenshot.

![](file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/jball/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg)

Message Edited by yowhatup on 09-02-2008 11:00 AM