How is order determined for podcasts and audiobooks?

Hey guys, I’ve read the last 10 pages of the forum but I can’t quite figure this out.  How is order determined for podcasts and audiobooks?  This is for the new 8GB clip with the latest firmware.  Is the most recent file supposed to be on top with this firmware?  And if so, the most recent based on the timestamp of the file on the device or based on something else?  Example with some podcasts:

Drunk   <-- most recent timestamp

Burn

The Seventies

The Carousel

We Got Nothing

If I touch “We Got Nothing” so it’s the most recent timestamp and do something that causes the database to rebuild- the order doesn’t change.  Likewise if I delete “We Got Nothing” and re-upload, the order still doesn’t change.  It almost seems like the device is (invisibly) keeping track of the first time it sees each file for every folder and using that as the order- even if I delete the file and re-upload it.  I can only change this by deleting the entire folder.  Could this be what it’s doing?

I guess no one cares about this :(  Anyway here’s what I’ve found.  It seems the most recent upload is on top.  Meaning if you copy file A to the device and it refreshes its database then file A should appear on top.  Note that if you copy multiple files (A B C) between a database refresh then they appear in random order (or maybe it’s alphanumeric) but all 3 files will still appear on top.

However this holds true only for new files.  Say this is the order of the files on the device:

A

B

C

D

E

If you delete B- refresh the database- and reupload B- then B will not appear on top!  It will appear in the same position as above.  Like I mentioned in the first post, it seems the device is keeping track of the file names invisibly.  If you reupload B as “B1” (different name) then it will appear on top.  The only way to reset this is to delete the folder containing A B C D E.

If you delete B and D-refresh the database- and reupload B and D then B and D will not necessarily appear in the same order- they can be swapped.  But they will not appear on top, as I already described.

Hope this helps someone- it took me at least 3 hrs of messing around to figure it out and I’m still not sure I understand it.

Message Edited by sansa4eva on 12-06-2008 06:44 PM

Message Edited by sansa4eva on 12-06-2008 06:45 PM

I guess no one cares about this :(  Anyway here’s what I’ve found.  It seems the most recent upload is on top.  Meaning if you copy file A to the device- and it refreshes its database- then file A should appear on top.  Note that if you copy multiple files (A B C) then they appear in random order (or maybe it’s alphanumeric) but all 3 files will still appear on top.

However this holds true only for new files.  Say this is the order of the files on the device:

A
B
C
D
E

If you delete B- refresh the database- and reupload B- then B will not appear on top!  It will appear in the same position as above.  Like I mentioned in the first post, it seems the device is keeping track of the file names invisibly.  If you reupload B as “B1” (different name) then it will appear on top.  The only way to reset this is to delete the folder containing A B C D E.

If you delete B D- refresh the database- and reupload B D- then B D will not necessarily appear in the same order- they can be swapped.  Almost as though they’re being inserted into empty slots.  Regardless they will not appear on top.

Hope this helps someone.  It took at least 3 hrs of messing around to figure it out and I’m still not sure I understand it.

I guess no one cares about this :(  Anyway here’s what I’ve found.  It seems the most recent upload is on top.  Meaning if you copy file A to the device- and it refreshes its database- then file A should appear on top.  Note that if you copy multiple files (A B C) then they appear in random order (or maybe it’s alphanumeric) but all 3 files will still appear on top.

A
B
C
D
E

If you delete B- refresh the database- and reupload B- then B will not appear on top!  It will appear in the same position as above.  Like I mentioned in the first post, it seems the device is keeping track of the file names invisibly.  If you reupload B as “B1” (different name) then it will appear on top.  The only way to reset this is to either delete A B C D E or delete the folder that contains them.

If you delete B D- refresh the database- and reupload B D- then B D will not necessarily appear in the same order- they can be swapped.  Almost as though they’re being inserted into empty slots.  Regardless they will not appear on top.

Hope this helps someone.  It took at least 3 hrs of messing around to figure it out and I’m still not sure I understand it

Oh, believe me, we do care. :wink: I’ve also tried to make sense out of the sorting method, but couldn’t figure it out. You are right though; there seemed to be some magic going on regarding the filename. I tried dozens of times and just gave up; didn’t even keep any notes, so thanks for posting your findings.

The new firmware is on it’s way and will hopefully fix this. However, I wonder how will SanDisk choose to sort the podcasts? By track number, date tag, file date, track name, file name or what? There’s just so much inconsistency in podcasts that getting it right all the times won’t be easy. I guess a track number / file date combination would cover most cases.

Re order- it’s a good point- I was wondering about this.  It seems like the track number would override everything if it exists- just like for music.  But I don’t know if it’s common for podcasts to have a track number.  Likewise the date tag should be a reliable indicator of order but there’s no guarantee the file will have one.  Maybe it could use the date tag if it exists then fall back to the timestamp on the file?  As long as it’s something I have control over :slight_smile:

Minor issue in a fantastic little player.