Podcast Playlist

I recently bought an 8GB Sansa Fuze. I’ve upgraded to to latest firmware and an very happy with it. These forums have helped me answer most of my initial problems. I just wish to confirm a bug.

I’m having a problem making playlists with Podcast files.

I have read all the stuff about relative paths and have created the M3U (or M3U8 for non Latin characters) Playlists directly to the Fuze using WINAMP. No problems at all for files set to any music genre or “blank” outside of the PODCASTS folder. I keep the Playlist files in the folder where the audio files I want to play are located.

The problem arises if I “tag” files as Podcast anywhere on the Fuze or if I put any folder and its Playlist file inside the PODCASTS folder. This “deactivates” a previously functioning playlist. I can see the playlist listed but it’s “empty”. I’ve got around this by changing the genre tag to a label other than Podcast and storing the files and associated playlist elsewhere on the Fuze. Doing this gives me a populated playlist and all is fine. Is this a known issue?

I started this exercise because I was trying to make Podcasts play in ascending rather than reverse order. I understand that this is being changed due to “popular demand” on the next firmware release.

Thanks

Wouldn’t it just be simpler to edit (& name) the tags so they are in the ascending order (and so will play in that order) that you want, rather than editing the tags and then trying to create a playlist? Seems this is 2 steps where you could get by with 1.

The next firmware is due out soon, although I can’t remember if it was said this issue will be fixed in this version, or that it is just ‘on the fix-it list’.

Regardless, it would a temporary work around. :wink:

That would be another way of doing it!

The way the Podcasts are tagged after download I just bulk change all the genre tags with one action using MP3tag. In fact, providing I just want to play them through in ascending order,  and I  don’t store them afterwards in the PODCASTS folder, no playlist is required. That will suite my requirements until the ascending order issue is addressed.

As for why I can’t have  files marked as a podcast in any way ( in Podcasts Folder or tagged “Podcast”) and have a fully flexible working  playlist, I’m not sure. It was just puzzling me.

Thanks for the reply.

Another thing I wanted to do with a podcast playlist is to be able to lilsten to several different podcasts that have been posted within the last week or so.  This is especially nice with the daily ones, I like to intermix one show with another, so I don’t have 5 hours worth of the same people talking.   And this is easily workable on my computer player, using playlists, but these same playlists show up on the Sansa Fuze 8Gb as an empty list when they (.m3u file) have the same structure and syntax as working playlists of music only.

Yes!!! I have had that problem too and have wasted so

much time on the phone with useless tech support who assume it must be a user error on my part!!

My issue is that I’ve been making playlists with Windows Media Player and it automatically knows and identifies the podcasts as podcasts. (I certainly haven’t been doing any editing to mark the podcasts as podcasts.

If I use Winamp, will that go away? 

I like to listen to a playlist that has all the podcasts I downloaded that day or week. Then I don’t need to interrupt my bike ride and move to the next podcast when one finishes, nor listen to broadcasts in a row of the same podcast. Something the tech supporters are unable to understand. 

@angelag wrote:

I like to listen to a playlist that has all the podcasts I downloaded that day or week. Then I don’t need to interrupt my bike ride and move to the next podcast when one finishes, nor listen to broadcasts in a row of the same podcast. Something the tech supporters are unable to understand. 

You shouldn’t be riding a bike with earphones in anyway. :stuck_out_tongue: