Playlist problem w/Sansa e280 v2

Hi everyone,

So I’ve had this problem for a couple weeks now and it never seems to go away. I’ve reformatted my player and put all the songs back onto the internal memory with no luck. I’ve also deleted playlists and the contents and resynced playlists and the contents with no luck. I’m always in MTP mode and am not using any SD or SDHC cards. Also, I am running the latest version of the firmware for the e280 v2 (3.01.16A). So, onto a description of the problem:

For some reason recently, whenever I sync new (a) playlist(s) onto the player, another (couple of) playlist(s) will have this strange action of showing the files under it as gone. In other words, say I just synced a new playlist called “Playlist 1” with 5 songs under it. When it is synced onto the player, I disconnect the player and check to see if it synced properly. It has BUT it has caused another playlist (which we’ll call “Playlist 2”) already on the player to show up as if the playlist is empty and it specifically states “[Empty]”. I’ve check for the player for the files under the ‘empty’ “Playlist 2” and they are on the player but the files will not show up under the playlist. Also, I have not used up all the space on the player (I have about 1.2GB of the 7.6-ishGB left). Any ideas or solutions to this problem? Thanks.

Give us a little more detail  on your method of playlist generation for your v2.  Are you using Windows Media Player or a similar program?

Or are you building the playlist from Windows Explorer?

I have experimented with my v2, and I can build playlists up the wazoo without interference…there has to be a solution for you.  I’m running in MTP mode as well.

Bob  :dizzy_face:

I am using Windows Media Player 11 on Windows Vista. I’m doing it just like the “How to make playlists and sync to player” video tutorial. But if you need to know details, this is how I do it:

I plug in the player (it’s in MTP mode) into my laptop. Next, I open Windows Media Player 11.

In Windows Media Player 11, I click “New Playlist” which prompts me to name the playlist, which I do.

Next, I click and drag music files under the playlist in the window pane on the right hand side; also, I sort them into whatever order I want.

When I’m done putting music files under the playlist, I click the “Sync” tab and drag the playlist into the window pane on the right hand side.

Then I click “Start Sync”.

I have never encountered a problem or error while music/playlists are syncing. The only issue is just that recently, when I put in a new playlist, some other playlists show up as empty. I have experimented around and added new playlists and what-not. The playlists that go empty after I put in a new playlist don’t stay empty all the time. Sometimes, the songs under a playlist will show up again but another playlist will show as “[Empty]” when I put a new playlist in. So far, the maximum casualties are 5-6 playlists that show up as “[Empty]” at a time.

Hope this explains my situation a bit further. Thanks~

Message Edited by keichi74 on 10-01-2008 12:57 PM

Hm… no one has any ideas on the problem? Or has any suggestions? =( The problem still persists. I wonder if it has to do the with the internal memory song limit? I don’t remember what it was… but I think I’m over the limit… says there is 2457 songs, 0 (zero) of everything else, but I still have about 1.1-1.2GB left of the total 7.6(?)GB available. And in case anyone is wondering, I do 128kbps for my songs (because I’m not a perfectionist; to me 128kbps sounds fine =P)

I experimented a while back with the Sansa Clip, generating playlists via an alternate route, Windows Explorer, in MTP mode.

I just had a thought: when synchronizing with WiMP11, have you set up the device for automatic synchronization?  To do so, start with the device connected, and start with the wee tab at the bottom of the Sync button.  You’ll see your e280, and Set Up Sync will be available.  A double list of categories will pop up.  The list on the right side is the important issue: remove all music and all of those catch-all categories like TV shows, photos, et cetera.

Once you do that, WiMP should be happy “automatically synchronizing” the playlists you desire.  Why it ignores manual ones probably involves a session of chanting mantras while overloading on Diet Coke… then we can get into the Microsoft mindset to find out.

Let me know how it goes!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 10-06-2008 09:32 AM

Wow, sorry about the reply… I’ve been so busy with school and work that I just got used to having some playlists like that. But now that I have some time, I sat down and came back to see if your solution works. I will try it and let you know. Again, sorry about the overdue response and will let you know what the results are. By the way, if this matters, in WMP11, I have been using “.wpl” file type for the playlists I believe. And that’s what I’ve been using on my player. Thanks.

Edit for 11/13/2008, quarter till 12am:

OK, I did try what you said and same thing still happens. I even switched the playlist type from “.wpl” to “.m3u” and tried your method. Same thing still happening. I wonder if I should try using a different program to get playlists onto my player. I just do it through WMP because it’s my main music/video playing program. Thanks.

Message Edited by keichi74 on 11-13-2008 11:54 PM

Here is someone else with the exact same problem as me:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=e200&thread.id=23061

After I found their post, I tried counting what number the playlists that are going empty were and they coincide with his. I just have to add that since I have more playlists, the playlist list of numbers have increased. The playlists going empty are: playlist number 43, 46, 49, 55, 58, 61. Those playlists out of my 92 playlists go empty and I’ve tested this also when deleting playlists and seeing what happens. Same playlists (43, 46, 49, 55, 58, 61) are empty but the mp3’s are all on the player. That clears up why when I add more or delete some playlists, others will go empty. Hope someone can figure something out. Thanks.

Seriously why do you have 90 playlists?  :dizzy_face:

What you’re doing is like towing a 90’ camping trailer with a kia.  :stuck_out_tongue:Sure it could be done but something’s going to smell funny until it just blows up… :smileyvery-happy:

You might try reducing your number pf Playlists down to a manageable level, like 10 or less. Certainly at least below the level at which you have the problem (40-ish). Any other selective musical tastes ‘du jour’ can be managed with the already existing selective tools like playing by genre, Artist, Album, etc.

There are limits (in everything). It seems as though you have reached one. This could be another case that Sansafix was referring to when everybody was harping at him, “Why this?” and “Why not that?”

[Quote] "Guys, there are limits to the internal RAM memory of the player. Thats what drives these limits, not the External storage capacities. " [End-Quote]

Coincidentally, that discussion was on playlists, the GoList in particular.

You might try reducing your number pf Playlists down to a manageable level, like 10 or less. Certainly at least below the level at which you have the problem (40-ish). Any other selective musical tastes ‘du jour’ can be managed with the already existing selective tools like playing by genre, Artist, Album, etc.

There are limits (in everything). It seems as though you have reached one. This could be another case that Sansafix was referring to when everybody was harping at him, “Why this?” and “Why not that?”

[Quote] "Guys, there are limits to the internal RAM memory of the player. Thats what drives these limits, not the External storage capacities. " [End-Quote]

Coincidentally, that discussion was on playlists; the GoList in particular.

[Quote] “Guys, there are limits to the internal RAM memory of the player. Thats what drives these limits, not the External storage capacities.” [End-Quote]

Coincidentally, that discussion was on playlists; the GoList in particular.

Hey man I’ve had the same problem with my e280 and I found a simple soultion but it creates a little more clutter on the playlists. Open your sansa e280 on Windows Explorer. Create another playlist folder. Open the original playlist folder and copy the playlists which are giving you issues. I heard it starts after 40 playlists so every 3 playlists after will most likely give you issues, so copy those playlists and paste in the new folder. You will have 2 playlists displayed for each playlist you have coppied. One of them will most likely not work but one of them will work for sure, which means you can bypass this issue but with a little more clutter. Note: although this may create a little more clutter visually it does not take up extra space on the mp3 player or at least virtually none anyways. good luck.