Not recognizing MP3 files

I have the Sansa Clip 2GB and I used Windows Media Player (XP OS) to load mp3’s to my sandisk but the sandisk doesn’t recognize any of the files. It shows a drop in the storage, and Windows Media Player shows them listed in the Sandisk, but I can’t play any of the mp3’s. They are not listed to play. Please help!

Is there something peculiar about the mp3’s? Where did you get them, download (and if so, from where) or CD rip? Do they play in WMP (Windows Media Player)? Do they (the .mp3 files) have ID3 tags? If so, are the tags in the format the Sansa line of players like, ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1? Are you sure they don’t have a double extension? Windows default is to ‘hide’ known file extensions, so you could be ending up with files like songname.mp3.mp3. In which case they wouldn’t be recognized by your Clip and wouldn’t play.

Are they actual .mp3 files, or are they .wma format? The Sansa line of players will play regular .wma files, but they won’t play WMA PRO or LOSSLESS. It can be confusing because all 3 formats use the .wma extension.

You don’t need WMP to put songs on your player, you know. You can just drag & drop them from your My Music folder (in Windows XP) on your computer to the Music folder on your Clip. MSC mode is the easiest, most trouble-free USB mode to use. MTP is for DRM-encrypted music, like from Rhapsody or Napster and can cause issues. Definitely don’t use the Auto setting.

Check these things out and post back with more info. I’m sure somebody can help you out. While these things can be confusing at first, it ain’t rocket science. :smiley:

Is there something peculiar about the mp3’s? Where did you get them, download (and if so, from where) or CD rip? Do they play in WMP (Windows Media Player)? Do they (the .mp3 files) have ID3 tags? If so, are the tags in the format the Sansa line of players like, ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1?

Are you sure they don’t have a double extension? Windows default is to ‘hide’ known file extensions, so you could be ending up with files like ‘songname.mp3.mp3’. In which case they wouldn’t be recognized by your Clip and wouldn’t play.

Are they actual .mp3 files, or are they .wma format? The Sansa line of players will play regular .wma files, but they won’t play WMA PRO or LOSSLESS. It can be confusing because all 3 formats use the .wma extension.

You don’t need WMP to put songs on your player, you know. You can just drag & drop them from your My Music folder (in Windows XP) on your computer to the Music folder on your Clip. MSC mode is the easiest, most trouble-free USB mode to use. MTP is for DRM-encrypted music, like from Rhapsody or Napster and can cause issues. Definitely don’t use the Auto setting.

Check these things out and post back with more info. I’m sure somebody can help you out. While these things can be confusing at first, it ain’t rocket science. :smiley:

Is there something peculiar about the mp3's? Where did you get them, download (and if so, from where) or CD rip? Do they play in WMP (Windows Media Player)? Do they (the .mp3 files) have ID3 tags? If so, are the tags in the format the Sansa line of players like, ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1?

Are you sure they don't have a double extension? Windows default is to 'hide' known file extensions, so you could be ending up with files like 'songname.mp3.mp3'. In which case they wouldn't be recognized by your Clip and wouldn't play.

Are they actual .mp3 files, or are they .wma format? The Sansa line of players will play regular .wma files, but they won't play WMA PRO or LOSSLESS. It can be confusing because all 3 formats use the .wma extension.

You don't need WMP to put songs on your player, you know. You can just drag & drop them from your My Music folder on your computer to the Music folder on your Clip. MSC mode is the easiest, most trouble-free USB mode to use. MTP is for DRM-encrypted music, like from Rhapsody or Napster and can cause issues. Definitely don't use the Auto setting.

Check these things out and post back with more info. I'm sure somebody can help you out. While these things can be confusing at first, it ain't rocket science. :smiley:

Wow, this isn’t as easy as I thought. I’m new to this technology so I appreciate the help! I will do some homework and find out more about my mp3 files. Thanks!

One thing that just happened, my Sansa Clip just froze. I can’t turn it off or scroll through the menu. It’s stuck. Is there such a thing as a reboot on the Sansa Clip?

Sure is. It’s called a reset. Push your sliding power switch on the side up and hold it for at least 20 seconds (more if needed). Release, and then it should start up normally.

As to the file non-recognition:  you just need to make sure that the files are in a format the Clip recognizes.  Things to check:  are they in a recogizable form before you use WMP to export them to the Clip?  And second, is there a setting in WMP that is exporting the files to the Clip in a non-recognized form?

As to the file non-recognition:  you just need to make sure that the files are in a format the Clip recognizes.  Things to check:  are they in a recognizable form before you use WMP to export them to the Clip?  And second, is there a setting in WMP that is exporting the files to the Clip in a non-recognized form?