clip will not playback files and lists

Have loaded tracks, and playlists, onto my clip by drag and drop, and by synching with winamp, and windows media player. The player does not acknowledge their existence and so I cant play them. Have spent so much time trying to fix this. Anybody have a solution?

What kind of files are they? Are they a supported format?

What kind of files are they? Are they a supported format?  

And are your ID3 tags filled in?

I have LITERALLY the EXACT same problem.  I just barely re-formatted the device, then installed the newest firmware.

I can plug the device in, the computer recognizes it just fine, but when I put music on whether it’s through dragging and dropping or through WMP, it doesn’t actually show up on the device.  The space is definietly taken up, but there is no playable music on it.

Not sure what to do about this.  I’m a fairly tech savvy person, and I can’t seem to figure this one out.  Any help SanDisk?

EDIT:  Yes, they are supported files, and yes the ID tags are filled in correctly, in case you were wondering. :slight_smile:

Message Edited by mosesport on 04-15-2010 02:15 PM

mosesport wrote:

I have LITERALLY the EXACT same problem.

EDIT:  Yes, they are supported files, and yes the ID tags are filled in correctly, in case you were wondering. :slight_smile:

Humor us . . . what exactly is the file type and what format are the ID3 tags?

File type is .mp3.  I guess I don’t know what you mean by ID3 tag format… They’re formatted like a normal ID3 tag is formatted.  They’re not ID3v2 if that’s what you’re getting at…

mosesport wrote:
File type is .mp3.  I guess I don’t know what you mean by ID3 tag format… They’re formatted like a normal ID3 tag is formatted.  They’re not ID3v2 if that’s what you’re getting at…

OK, file type is alright (we gotta ask).

ID3v2 is exactly what I was getting at . . . ID3v2.3 ISO-88459-1 to be exact. That’s the format of ID3 tags that works best on all Sansa mp3 players. MP3TAG, an awesome, free dedicated tag editor can help you check, and if necessary make quick work of changing your tags.

Check out a few and let us know what you find. You can set the above tag format up to be the default in the settings and change them ‘en masse’. :smiley:

I’ll try that when I get home and let you know.  Thanks for your help.

So I checked using that app you recommended.  My MP3s are already using that ID3v2 format that you stated…so I guess there’s not really anything else I can do at this point to get my songs working, unless you can think of anything else :\

The files can play back, I have loaded the files from the same source onto the same player before. Regular mp3s. First time I put them on the Clip with Windows media player they were OK, but I had no playlists.

now it seems hopeless. I can see them when I look with the pc but they dont show up at all when I use the clip itself. I see I am not the only one who is having the problem. Thanks for all the suggestions, will post if I find a solution other than buying a different brand

just to put this in some perspective - I have spent the best part of 10 hrs loading, reloading, relisting, checking, clearing, reloading files on this piece of junk.It is an interesting technical problem, bu if I have to learn to use a tag editor to play my files, then there is a rather fundamental problem with the product…

It’s not a piece of junk, it’s an mp3 player (although it will handle other formats) and thousands if not millions of users are happily using it. You are doing something wrong, if you care to explain how you are loading the device (like where are you putting the files), what usb mode you are using etc. perhaps we can help. Note: doing the same thing over and over in the expectation of getting a different result is given a name.

bioboy wrote:
just to put this in some perspective - I have spent the best part of 10 hrs loading, reloading, relisting, checking, clearing, reloading files on this piece of junk.It is an interesting technical problem, bu if I have to learn to use a tag editor to play my files, then there is a rather fundamental problem with the product…

Although it’s hard to tell from your description (there’s little info. there), it sounds like you don’t have the tags filled in for your music.  The Clip needs ID3 tag info. for your files, to display what’s there.  Sorry, this has gotten to be more the norm with players nowadays.  You can use Internet freeware such as MP3 tag to fill the info. in.

An alternative:  a contributor here, eliasf, developed a super program that you run against the files on your Clip, and it makes a playlist for each of the folders on your Clip.  And so, then, to play the songs in one of your folders, you play the playlist instead.

A nice stop-gap solution, if your ID3 tags aren't quite there.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&message.id=11605#M11605 

(There are similar programs created by others; you can do a search here or go to the Clip board at anythingbutipod.comhttp://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41782)

If you’re still having issues, why not telephone SanDisk customer service for help?  In the U.S.:  1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).  And other SanDisk contact information:  http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us

Actually I did email Sansa customer support but I never heard anything back from them.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I checked the current and prior files on the clip and I am pretty much certain that a number of the files I loaded first time I used this (which worked just fine) are included again in the new list of files I tried load and that dont work. So while I will try to tag the files as has been suggested, I wonder if there is some other issue.

Will post if I get it to work in any event.

So now I tagged all the files as recommended and synched all the playlists to the Sansa. Media player says the synch is complete. Now the files dont show up on the Sansa OR when I look directly in the folder using the PC. I despair…

Oh yeah - and now Winamp has suddenly stopped recognizing the Sansa, I tried reformatting it and also all three of the settings for USB mode. Seems OK in windows Media player though

I have very good luck using Winamp with my players, however . . .

I only use MSC mode, and I do not use the Portables setting on Winamp. Just set Winamp to see your ‘library’ as your E:\Music and F:\Music folders (assuming E & F are the drive letters that Windows assigns your player and card slot. That depends on how many other drives you already have).

I wouldn’t rely on an email for problem-solving here; you will do much better if you telephone SanDisk–you will get near-immediate assistance.  (I’m assuming that you can telephone SanDisk easily enough–hopefully, it is a free call for you.  See the contact info. above.)

Done it.

The solution was:

switch off and restart pc

format the Sansa (about the tenth time I have done it)

Tag the files

Use windows media player

There was another playlist of equivalent files from the same source that would not work - turned out the sound drivers were faulty on all of them - couldnt play them on the pc. Had to redownload, retag, resynch. now they all seem to be there

Have no idea which of the steps was the real problem as I had tried all of them separately or in some permutation before but now I seem to have the right result.

Thanks to everyone for all their suggestions.