Transferring music to Clip+

Hello, I’m new here, and I’m going slightly mad trying to transfer music to my daughter’s new Clip+. Basically I have been syncing files from Windows Media Player and was baffled by the fact that while some files transferred perfectly smoothly, others failed to show up on the Clip itself, although they appear to be there when I check on the computer (in Windows Explorer). 

It then occurred to me that maybe the ones that didn’t show up were in a different format, and yes, they are m4a, not mp3. SO I found out how to convert m4a files in iTunes to mp3 and then copied those versions over to the Clip. Now they are actually physically on the Clip, HOWEVER the folder is listed as “Unknown”, when on the computer the folder in question has a name (obviously). Why is this? And what can I do about it? Editing the folder name on the computer doesn’t make any difference.

I cannot believe how complicated this is turning out to be, I’ve literally spent hours trying to sort it out. Help please…

You have to edit the ID3 tags of the files, not the file names themselves. All SanDisk players (as well as many other brands) are tag-based. A good tool to do this with is MP3Tag. Make sure to set the Write default in the settings to ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1. ITumes must have written the tags for the files in a format the Sansa player cannot read.

In addition to the above sage advice, through, note that you easily should be able to navigate to the files, even without filling in the ID3 tags, under the Clip’s folder view option, at the bottom of the Music oprions listing–this will show your folders and their contents just like on your computer, for the choosing of your selection/fíle to play.

But recommended that you fill in/amend your tags, as that is what the Clip wants to defer to, for displaying information on the screen.

In addition to the above sage advice, through, note that you easily should be able to navigate to the files, even without filling in the ID3 tags, under the Clip’s folder view option, at the bottom of the Music options listing–this will show your folders and their contents just like on your computer, for the choosing of your selection/fíle to play.

But recommended that you fill in/amend your tags, as that is what the Clip wants to defer to, for displaying information on the screen.