loading music to clip+ without Windows media

I have an older computer with windows XP which will not support Windows Media 10.  My music is stored on an external hard drive so I’ve loaded some tunes, however I can’t open the music  (though it’s there) nor get any sound on the FM radio nor play the sample tunes that came with it (just got it yesterday. I’ve set it to MSC mode but when I click on the removable disk icon, I receive a message to insert a disk…I’m frustrated…

Assuming you have RTM already.:smileyvery-happy:

nor get any sound on the FM radio nor play the sample tunes that came with it (just got it yesterday.

The headphone jack of it is kinda tight. Try inserting it all the way in.

I’ve set it to MSC mode but when I click on the removable disk icon, I receive a message to insert a disk…I’m frustrated…

If you connect the Sansa Clip+ on MSC mode it will show up twice as Removable disk. One is for the internal storage and the other is for the card slot which is empty.

carolinamaria wrote:

however I can’t open the music  (though it’s there)

I’m not sure what you mean by this :smiley:

Yep, been pouring over the manual! Also, tried to listen again and can hear the pre loaded sample songs. Sounds great.

I know the tunes I added are “there” as when I go to properties and open up the contents there they are in the music folder. Just trying to figure out how to play them. Hmmm…an odd bit is that the icon in the My Computer box  is named Sansa Clipp and I have a PC not a Mac. I’ll give it another try.

If the Clip+ is recognized as SANSA CLIPP, all is well, you’re simply connected in MSC mode.  Windows Media Player can indeed be used to transfer music files to your Clip+ in this mode.

@carolinamaria wrote:

Yep, been pouring over the manual! Also, tried to listen again and can hear the pre loaded sample songs. Sounds great.

I know the tunes I added are “there” as when I go to properties and open up the contents there they are in the music folder. Just trying to figure out how to play them. Hmmm…an odd bit is that the icon in the My Computer box  is named Sansa Clipp and I have a PC not a Mac. I’ll give it another try.

Can you check what are the file format of your songs? More likely the fomat is not compatible.

Thanks! I have downloaded Windows Media 10 which works with my old machine as 11 did not , am figuring it out and have loaded a few more tunes successfully. Yippee.

If your Clip+ is recognized as SANSA CLIPP (the extra “P” refers to “Plus” ), all is well.  This designation means that your Clip+ is in MSC mode. You can transfer music in this mode, using WIndows Media Player if you wish.

In fact, you can use WiMP to solve that “missing music” dilemma.

Want to try an experiment?  If the Clip+ is not plugged in, go ahead and turn it on.  Go to Music > Folders (scroll down the menu), then MSC > your music files will be listed here.

Why don’t your music files show up on the Clip+?  Note, you should be able to find the files via Folder mode, but if they aren’t searchable via Music > Album / Artist / Song, the files need the embedded ID3 tags for the Sansa to navigate via song / album / artist / genre.

When the MP3 standard evolved for music files, part of the design was being able to catalog these files by artist, album, etc.  You just can’t do that by the file name , which is all you have for a basic file.  Typically, this file name is the name of the song or track.  The ONLY way to keep track of albums, if you use file name only, is to place each album in a folder.   This can get really messy.

The answer is to get the embedded metadata, the ID3 tag information, corrected for your music files.  Most of us take this for granted, if we purchase our music online, or if we’re experienced with Windows Media Player or another CD ripping engine that pulls the metadata from an online source.  The album art, track data, and more are automatically written into your MP3 or Windows Media Audio music files.  Back in the day, I would use WiMP to save CD audio on my computer, compressed to save space (well, look how big hard drives have become in terms of capacity!),  I found it nice to have the cover art display on the screen, as I mentally catalog my music by those cool covers.

Windows Media Player has an ID3 tag editor, named the advanced tag editor , available if you right click on a track.  If you have the tracks grouped as an album, you can use ther Update Album Info function, as long as you have online Internet access when using the function.  This is my big rub with Windows Media Player and Microsoft:  there isn’t any straightforward warning or description of the process.

Definitely update your media player to WiMP11, the latest version for Windows XP.  Click on Help > Check For Updates, and you will have MTP capability as well as a better interface.

One caveat: with MTP capability, the computer sees the Sansa as a Portable Media Device.  Files transferred in MSC mode aren’t visible while in MTP, though they are seen on the player.  Yes, that’s one layer of common confusion.  You can stick with MSC if you set the player to MSC mode via Settings > Syetem Settings > USB Mode > MSC, and the device will be seen as a flash drive.

I would recommend downloading MP3Tag, a free ID3 tag editor, that will allow you to repair all of your tags more easily (once you get used to the interface of course).  MP3Tag lets you do rapid tag repairs to those files, add the correct album art, or export the album art as a jpeg file that will display on the Sansa, if you upgrade to a model with a big display.  I mention this here, because many users may find this post via the search function (and might have a Fuze, Fuze+, View, or e200).  The Clip simply ignores the album art, but it’s nice to have the art embedded for the future, as you only have to fix the metadata once.

WiMP uses ID3 v2.3 ISO 8859-1 format for the tags.  Set MP3Tag to use this format, as it works beautifully with the Sansa.

Repair the tags on your library on the computer, then retransfer them to the Sansa.  In MSC mode, you can do this on the player, but you’ll still have goofed up files on the PC, and this problem will resurface every time you transfer.

After the tags are written, you can search via artist/album/genre/song, which is so much more fun.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I am familiar with both Mac and PC. Regardless of OS, I am fond of iTunes. Not that it is the best program around, but as neutron_bob says, music management can get ugly. iTunes will manage folders very well. Just stay away from the AAC format, as the Clips do not support it. I believe it will convert non-protected (not purchased) WMA files, but does not play them. I am not positive since I don’t use that format. It will do great things with MP3, and works really well for editing the song data. I don’t believe it will auto-transfer to a Sansa player. All music is stored as individual artist folders in the iTunes folder, inside your Music folder. You can import all your current music to iTunes.

If the current version is not compatible with your XP PC, try this website:

http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php

There are lots of programs to manage your music. I like iTunes because it works, and is easy for me.

Jim