not recoginized

Hi, i just got a clip and when i plug it in to the usb, it shows connected but is not charging and no folder comes up.  what do i have to do?

thanks

Try a different USB cable and/or port.

Try connecting in MSC mode:  either thru the Clip’s Settings/USB/MSC; or put the Clip into hold (left-side switch up) and press the center button down while connecting the USB cable between your Clip and the computer. 

what’s msc?  i’m an old man:angry:

There’s a great search box above to assist you. 

It’s one of the 2 computer modes by which to connect to your computer, Mass Storage Capacity.  Sometimes it will work (it is more basic and universal) when the other mode, MTP (Media Transfer Protocol), won’t work.

i have the same problem. When i troubleshoot the device it says code error 10. I got the sansa clip a couple of weeks from now and i still can’t use it. any suggestions?

rheignBOW wrote:

i have the same problem. When i troubleshoot the device it says code error 10. I got the sansa clip a couple of weeks from now and i still can’t use it. any suggestions?

It might be a problem with the MTP installation on your PC.  Try connecting it in MSC mode (described above).  If you need to use MTP mode because you’re going to load subscription music on the Clip, make sure you have Windows Media Player 11 installed (it may work with WMP 10, too, I forget).  If you do have WMP 11 installed, try reinstalling it.

FLSTSI wrote:

what’s msc?  i’m an old man:angry:

Your Clip can communicate with your PC in two ways, via MSC and MTP.  Most people only use MTP if they plan to put subscription music on their player.  In MTP mode, your Clip will show up in My Computer as a “Portable Media Player”.  In MSC mode, it will show up as a “Removable Disk”, and will have a drive letter assigned to it (like your PC’s disk probably has the drive letter “C:” assigned to it).

Ah, the dreaded Error Code 10…

If all else fails trying to get started with your new Clip, try the following first:

Turn on your Clip.  Goto Settings > System Info.  Read the first line.  This is your firmware version.  Is it 1.01.18 or later?

If so, then goto Settings > USB Mode > MSC.  This setting is “mass storage class”, allowing your PC to see the Sansa as a memory stick.  Plug in, and see if the Sansa is recognized.

If your Clip has earlier firmware, don’t worry. It’s easy to update the firmware once you get the Clip running.

Flip the power switch to the “lock” position.  The orange marking should be visible on the switch.  Hold the center button down on the Clip, and keep it pressed, while plugging in.  It may take a few moments (hold the button gently), giving your PC 20-30 seconds to come around…

Does the Clip say “connected” on its display?

Try another USB port.  Often, hub connections can be weak or dirty.

Then try this Error Code 10fix.

Bob  :wink:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 02-23-2008 06:35 AM

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 02-23-2008 06:38 AM

I have a Sansa Media Clip and I am having the exact same issue. It is brand new. I am running windows XP with SP2 and it refuses to show up on my computer. It briefly connects but never appears in Windows Explorer per the instructions.

I have tried this on (2) different Windows XP machines and nothing shows up.

I did connect this to a Windows 2000 machine and it did appear there in Windows Explorer.

What is going on with XP which is keeping this from working correctly?

Sliding the lever down and holding the center button while connecting did the trick. It recognized the device and connected via MSC mode - exactly what I wanted. Thank you for that last post - I sure wish the instructions initially shipped with the device stated this somewhere - I looked and I could not find it. They only had a reference to go to the website to get the full manual.

Is there a way to upgrade the firmware? I am on version 1.01.11a and would love to upgrade if I could.

Please see the sticky thread above (at the top of the forum thread listings) about the latest firmware, version 20, and how to upgrade.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=2946

Message Edited by Miikerman on 02-24-2008 06:21 AM

Please see the sticky thread above (at the top of the forum thread listings) about the latest firmware, version 20, and how to upgrade.

ktgatlin wrote:

It is most likely that you either don’t have XP SP2 or WMP 10 or above, which are needed to connect in the Clip default MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) mode.  The hold-and-press method you used connects the player in MSC (Mass Storage Capacity) mode, which does not have those requirements.  You either need to add the software to your systems, to use the player in MTP mode, or always connect as you need or, more conveniently, switch to MSC mode once you upgrade (Settings/USB/MSC).  Please note that you cannot use DRM’ed music and files (music and files protected by digital rights management) in MSC mode.

ktgatlin wrote:

It is most likely that you either don’t have XP SP2 or WMP 10 or above, which are needed to connect in the Clip default MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) mode.  The hold-and-press method you used connects the player in MSC (Mass Storage Capacity) mode, which does not have those requirements.  You either need to add the software to your systems, to use the player in MTP mode, or always connect as you did or, more conveniently, switch to MSC mode once you upgrade (Settings/USB/MSC).  Please note that you cannot use DRM’ed music and files (music and files protected by digital rights management) in MSC mode.

hi…

im facing a problem,i cant move MP3 into device…

anybody can help me?please…

:wink:

You may not have all the required software for transferring in MTP mode (at least Windows XP SP2 and WMP 10).  Try in MSC mode:  with the newer firmware, Settings/USB/MSC.  If you don’t have that, put the Clip in hold (on switch down) and then press the center button down while connecting the USB cable between the player and computer.  And then update to the latest firmware (see the sticky at the top of the forum) which will have the settings option.