Clip not recognized in Device Manager in MSC or MTP

I already have a request in with Sansa for service on this, my second clip. This clip is actually the replacement for my original one that was sent by Sandisk. The original developed the same issue, albeit after nearly a year of largely trouble free service. Sandisk was unable to come up with a solution and just replaced the unit with a new one. Although it took almost a month, I’m still quite pleased as they sent me a full retail packaged clip that looks brand new.

This post is mostly to see if anyone else has had this issue and see if anyone has any ideas as it’s just bugging me that I couldn’t figure it out. 

Normal use pattern:

Use only MSC, never used MTP. All files are MP3, no DRM. Load files using explorer, set tags using mp3tag when files are on the clip, disconnect from PC. Usually charge using a standard USB AC charger, the same one I use for my BlackBerry. Charge for about 2hrs once a week. Use it on the train and walking to/from work - about 2hrs a day. 

Issue:

Exact same problem with both. As I mentioned the first one worked fine for nearly a year, the second one I had for two months and used it three or four times before it started to have the same problem. All functions on the player itself work fine, the radio, file playback, turns on and off fine, recording is fine, everything as far as I can tell. When plugging it in to charge using the AC charger it charges at the same rate as usual. When connected to a PC it is not recognized by the PC in device manager or Explorer. The Clip doesn’t even show the “connected” screen it normally does. It behaves exactly like it does when plugged into the AC charger, charging the battery and showing the “battery filling” icon in the top right. 

Attempted fixes (Clip UI refers to the menus on the Clip player itself):

• Changed USB Mode to MTP in Clip UI
  • Changed USB Mode to Auto in Clip UI
  • Changed USB Mode back to MSC in Clip UI
  • Forced clip into MSC Mode (turn off, lock, hold center key when connecting)
  • Formatted through Clip UI
  • Reset to defaults through Clip UI
  • Hard restarted player (held power on for 20 seconds)
  • Fully discharged (recorded radio until it died, then turned it on a dozen times to make sure it was totally drained)
  • Fully charged (using AC charger for two full days)
  • Tried three different miniUSB to USB cables 
  • Tried four different PCs (two running XP SP2, one Vista SP1, one Win2k SP3)
  • All PCs and USB ports used previously worked to synch and power the player
  • Force installed Mass Storage Class Device through Device Manager on two PCs
  • Reinstalled Mass Storage Class Generic drivers on two PCs
  • Opened up the original Clip, checked battery leads and USB connector. No corrosion, no water damage, no visible problems or burnt smell. 

All to no avail. The device is not recognized in Device Manager or Explorer and only shows the “charging” icon when connected to a PC. The only thing I can think of that I might to slightly differently than others is have the device plugged in to the AC charger while playing, but I imagine this is not uncommon practice, especially in a car. 

Any insight would be much appreciated. 

You’ve tried nearly everything I can think of, including trying different USB ports, USB cables and computers.  Two remaining things to try (in this order):

• install previous versions of the firmware (assuming you have the latest firmware installed)

• reformat through Windows

Given what you’ve described, I have no reason to believe that either of these will work, but I’d give it a shot if I were you.

When using the ac wall charger, it will work normally (same as normal turn on) but the battery icon will show charge in process.

@promisedplanet wrote:

You’ve tried nearly everything I can think of, including trying different USB ports, USB cables and computers.  Two remaining things to try (in this order):

• install previous versions of the firmware (assuming you have the latest firmware installed)

• reformat through Windows

Given what you’ve described, I have no reason to believe that either of these will work, but I’d give it a shot if I were you.

It is impossible to flash or format the device as it is not recognized by the any of the PCs at all. It does not appear in Device Manager or in Explorer. When attempting to flash, the sansa firmwate updater does not see the device either, as it is dependent on the device being recognized by windows.  

@dave61430 wrote:
When using the ac wall charger, it will work normally (same as normal turn on) but the battery icon will show charge in process.

Not sure if this is a question for me, but I’ll answer it in case it is. Yes, when connected to the AC charger it behaves normally. 

Imo the cable has probably become defective. You colud try a different cable and a different pc and see if it connects in MSC mode.

@jk98 wrote:
Imo the cable has probably become defective. You colud try a different cable and a different pc and see if it connects in MSC mode.

@dankru wrote:

Attempted fixes (Clip UI refers to the menus on the Clip player itself):

• Changed USB Mode to MTP in Clip UI
  • Changed USB Mode to Auto in Clip UI
  • Changed USB Mode back to MSC in Clip UI
  • Forced clip into MSC Mode (turn off, lock, hold center key when connecting)
  • Formatted through Clip UI
  • Reset to defaults through Clip UI
  • Hard restarted player (held power on for 20 seconds)
  • Fully discharged (recorded radio until it died, then turned it on a dozen times to make sure it was totally drained)
  • Fully charged (using AC charger for two full days)
  • Tried three different miniUSB to USB cables 
  • Tried four different PCs (two running XP SP2, one Vista SP1, one Win2k SP3)
  • All PCs and USB ports used previously worked to synch and power the player
  • Force installed Mass Storage Class Device through Device Manager on two PCs
  • Reinstalled Mass Storage Class Generic drivers on two PCs
  • Opened up the original Clip, checked battery leads and USB connector. No corrosion, no water damage, no visible problems or burnt smell. 

All to no avail. The device is not recognized in Device Manager or Explorer and only shows the “charging” icon when connected to a PC. The only thing I can think of that I might to slightly differently than others is have the device plugged in to the AC charger while playing, but I imagine this is not uncommon practice, especially in a car.

Did you try downloading the firmware again and installing it in the player?

How many times does the op have to explain he can’t access the bloody thing. That means he can’t see the file system, he can’t load new firmware, he can’t do diddly squat. He should call Sansa support since I doublt there’s anything else anyone here can suggest. Maybe they will agree to fix or exchange.