No power

So i just bought this thing.  I just finished putting the music on, and when I went to play it, the device froze on a song, then shut off.  Now, it will not come back on.  When I plug it into the usb port, nothing happens.  Can anyone help or do I need to take this back and go with something different that will work?

Try htiting the soft-reset (Vol+ and Select simultaneously) and if that doesn’t help, try just holding down the Menu button for 20 seconds.

If nothing else works, try connecting it while holding Vol- and Select and see if your computer recognizes it.  You might be able to get the firmware updated this way. 

I decided to charge my device  and copy some music on after the power went off and i don’t know what to do

I am having the same problem! I have only used this thing 4 times.  Just bought it a few weeks ago.

@kyosabb2 wrote:
I am having the same problem! I have only used this thing 4 times.  Just bought it a few weeks ago.

Try resetting the Express.

To do that, press the center “Select” button and the up “+” button at the same time.

Then turn on the player again.

I’ve tried the troubleshooting steps in this thread and none have worked.  I was adding songs and then disconnected the device for use but it wouldn’t power on.  Now neither my vista system nor my more reliable XP system will recognize the Sansa Express and the power won’t come on.  We’ve had this since about December and I think it should last longer than that.

Same problem. Started on the 2nd day of use.

Locked up on pause/play button press.

Locked up during play for no reason.

Both times it worked again after doing the reset with select/volume up.

How long has this product been on the market !?   :frowning:

@ronselwell wrote:

Same problem. Started on the 2nd day of use.

Locked up on pause/play button press.

Locked up during play for no reason.

Both times it worked again after doing the reset with select/volume up.

How long has this product been on the market !?   :frowning:

The Express has a difficult time with certain songs if it cannot read the ID3 tags. If the songs do not have the ID3 tags that the Express considers essential, the player will lock-up during playback of that song. I have another Sansa product that has the same issue.

If you find that the player locks up on certain songs, delete those songs. Edit the tags and place the songs back on the player. 

I believe that that Express has been on the market slightly over a year.

Before removing the player from the PC, you should click the “Safely Remove Hardware” Icon located in the System Tray at the bottom right side of your desktop.  Otherwise, you’ll run the risk of damaging the software in the player when you disconnect.  Not doing this first will frequently freeze you player.

Once the software has been damaged, your only option is to try a system reset by pushing the + key and the Select button at the same time.  You’ll probably lose all your songs when you do this, but it will bring the player back to life.

If that fails, you’ll have to reload the firmware.  You’ll find the firmware instructions at the top of this forum. 

@kennyj wrote:

Try htiting the soft-reset (Vol+ and Select simultaneously) and if that doesn’t help, try just holding down the Menu button for 20 seconds.

If nothing else works, try connecting it while holding Vol- and Select and see if your computer recognizes it.  You might be able to get the firmware updated this way. 

Soft-Reset works on my Sansa Express. After few seconds of hitting Vol+ and Select button. Next I pressed Menu button and my SE was powered on.\

Thanks. 

firstly… On vista(home basic) for my 2gb express it doesnt come up with the safely remove hardware option.  I couldnt power my walkman yesterday when i went to the record function it just switched off.  I tried everything in this thread and it wouldnt work but then i tried plugging it in and pressing the up on the volume and that worked!!! strangely enough all the battery was drained

thanks