no music shows

I have a Clip 8GB that I haven’t used for a couple months for lack of computer access.  I loaded it on a Sager notebook before the Sager croaked. I am trying to access the music files now on a Dell Latitude 600 but it shows no music, only that 1 GB is used.  The Dell will not recognize the Clip unless I set the Clip to MSC, but even then it does not see the files on the Clip.  I have updated WMP to ver 11, I have downloaded Winamp and of course, tried Rhapsody that came with the Clip.  In no case will the Dell show any music files on the clip.  I can play the music, so I know they are there.  There has got to be a way get this thing to show up so I can rearrange the music the way I want to.  Any ideas?

dave

Files transferred to the Clip when connected to your Clip under USB MSC mode only show on your computer when connected in MSC mode; likewise as to MTP mode.  I think it likely that the music you can’t see on your computer was transferred to the Clip under MTP mode.

The solution would be:  reformat your Clip under its Settings (note:  this will erase your Clip’s content) and put content on the Clip via USB MSC mode, the setting you use.

I was hoping to keep the tunes that were on it, since the computer they were on is no more. That’s it, huh?

dave

nepatternmaker wrote:

I was hoping to keep the tunes that were on it, since the computer they were on is no more. That’s it, huh?

dave

Not necessarily . . . have you configured the ‘new’ computer to show hidden files and folders?

The Music (along with others) folder is ‘hidden’ by default and Windows won’t show them unless you tell it to.

nepatternmaker wrote:

dave

Not necessarily . . . have you configured the ‘new’ computer to show hidden files and folders?

The Music (along with others) folder is ‘hidden’ by default and Windows won’t show them unless you tell it to.

nepatternmaker wrote:

dave

What you could do is first find a computer that will play nice with you in MTP mode; set your Clip to MTP mode; transfer the old (MTP mode) songs off of the Clip; delete the old (MTP mode) songs off the Clip or reformat the Clip; set the Clip to MSC mode; and transfer the old songs back to the Clip. 

Good advice Miikerman.  I found that my kids dell desktop w/ Vista would display the MTP tunes. Copied to HD, deleted tunes on Clip, changed to MSC, reloaded tunes. All is good, now all I have to do is remember how to put them back into playlists…

Thanks

dave

Great to hear you’re up and running (thanks to your child)!

Thanks from me too, Miikerman–I just found your reply while searching this forum for help with the same problem.  I was trying to move music that was originally saved from my home computer to my Sansa Clip onto my office computer, which wouldn’t see that there was music in the folder.  I will try tonight to see if my home computer can resave the MP3 files in MSC mode and then get them off of there using my work computer.  (Alternatively I can use a thumb drive…)

I hope it works!  This was one of the issues that first brought me to the forum 2 years ago …