my sansa fuze says it is connected to the computer but it doesn't charge?

it has done this before and it is kind of pissing me off how do i fix this oh and by the way the holding the power button for 15/30 secs doesn’t work.

Disconnect. Turn it on if you need to. Go to Settings/System Settings/USB Mode and change it to MSC. Now try charging.

You can’t use a USB hub. The cord has to go directly to the computer.

If it doesn’t work, there could be a problem with the cord.

My Sansa has the same problem, but after trying so much to charge the battery, it has no power when you disconnect from the computer.  Shortly after disconnection from the computer it shuts down due to low/no battery power.

Any suggestions?

Hey Black- Rectangle

When I connect my Sansa to the PC it starts to charge for about 5-10 seconds (I see the battery icon moving), then stops.  I continued to plug and unplug it many times to get some charge.  After about 10 times of this I disconnected, and it had enough power to get into settings and change the USB to MSC (I think that’s what you said…can’t read it now), and re-plugged it in and it began charging.  Now after a couple of hours on charge, it is FULLY CHARGED.  I’ll have to read up on what these options are so I understand better.

THANKS ALOT.

That’s great news.

The USB mode affects how your computer sees the Fuze. In MSC (Mass Storage Class)  mode it looks like any other hard drive, flash drive or thumb drive. So you can just drag and drop music. .

In MTP mode, it can be controlled by Windows Media Player 10 or above. MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) is necessary for digitally locked material like library audiobooks or music from subscription services–WMP sends over secret codes to make them work. And MTP is useful  if you want to do things with Windows Media Player like make playlists. But it’s a connection that goes wrong a lot more often because it’s more complicated. Sounds like MTP was having a prima donna moment with your unit.

But it sounds like you have been previously using MTP. As long as your music is playing OK, don’t worry about it. But your computer can only see one mode at a time, so all the music you sent over on MTP won’t show up in Computer (or My Computer) unless you switch to MTP mode. And if you drag over new music in MSC, you’d have to switch back to that mode for your computer to see it.

The Fuze doesn’t care how it got there–it sees everything. But your computer needs the right mode. 

Do you remember if your unit was on MTP or Auto
Detect before you switched? Just curious.

Auto Detect goes to MTP if your computer has Windows
Media Player 10 or above, and to MSC if it doesn’t. But if it was in
MTP, and you then connected  to a computer that doesn’t have WMP 10 or above,
maybe that’s what was going wrong. It’s just a guess and it doesn’t
really matter. MSC makes a lot of things easier.

I’m having the same issue.  I had used it just a few times so I wouldn’t have thought the battery would have gone that fast.  The only thing I can think is that when I shut it off it must not have the screen must have just blacked out but I’m almost possitive I seen something to the effect it was shutting down.  As I was at the Dentist office and had slid it in the cloth case and back in my purse.  When attempting to use it in the car a few days after no such luck.  Now Neither of the 2 desktop PC’s or my laptop are picking it up and showing it’s connected.  I think I may have to visit Best Buy and swap it out.  Unless it’s just dead as a door nail and needs a bit of a charge to show it’s connected.

The first thing to check is the cord. If Best Buy has a cord out for a computer connection, try that.

Otherwise, if you do just exchange it, make sure you get a new cord as well as a new unit. Just in case.

@mpease817 wrote:

The only thing I can think is that when I shut it off it must not have the screen must have just blacked out but I’m almost possitive I seen something to the effect it was shutting down.  As I was at the Dentist office and had slid it in the cloth case and back in my purse.  When attempting to use it in the car a few days after no such luck.  Now Neither of the 2 desktop PC’s or my laptop are picking it up and showing it’s connected.  I think I may have to visit Best Buy and swap it out. 

Before heading to Best Buy, try resetting it first. It may just be playing possum. Slide the power switch on the side up and hold it in the top position for at least 20 seconds. Now release and see if it will start up or at least connect to your computer to charge.