My old one worked great

Hey all, I used to have one of these clips until the kids got water in it and it worked great. I got this new one and the software is different with this flower and all. I have also be having nothing but problems with it. Way to change things for the worse Sansa. So when I connect this new one to my PC it doesn’t seem to charge and just turns off after a while. I wish this **bleep** thing just worked like the old one. Do I need to consider returning this as defective or what is the deal with this thing. I haven’t had it but 2 days and I can’t get a full charge on or so it seems. Like I said when I first connected it I had to do that whole locking and holding in the button while plugging it in just to get the computer to recognize it correctly which it seems to half the time now at least. Aurgh! Please help meeeeeeeeeee!

What you describe sounds like a problem (singular). What are the others.

The clip display should stay active while it is connected. I would try another cable for starters.

It’s possibly a simple driver issue.  The Sansa will not charge if it’s busy trying to establish communications.  Try looking at the Sansa using Windows Explorer to see which mode it’s recognized in.

Go to My Computer or use the shortcut, pressing the windows key + E.  If the Sansa is listed under “devices with removable storage”, with an assigned drive letter, it’s in MSC mode.  If it ls listed under “other” at the bottom of the list, it’s in MTP mode.

If communications are nominal, the Sansa should show the “rolling” battery icon, signifying charge.  The “connected” logo will remain illuminated for the first hour, after which the display will turn off.

µsansa

When I connect my clip, it first says “writing” then it will say “connected” and the battery bar will roll. After a while the display will go dark. One thing that my be an issue is when I first connect it the clip is recognised correctly and there is no driver exclamation point next to the mass storage device entry. The clip also shows up in the windows explorer. But I did notice a couple of times, and I don’t know if my screen saver had kicked in or the game I was playing was causing a problem, but I would hear the USB error chime and when I would look in the device manager there would then be an exclamation point next to mass storage device. This would be after the clip was connected for a while. I was thinking maybe it was caused by low battery as the display would go dark and it didn’t seem like an hour had passed, but then again when I’m locked in a game time flies.

@rfxcasey wrote:
When I connect my clip, it first says “writing” then it will say “connected” and the battery bar will roll. After a while the display will go dark. One thing that my be an issue is when I first connect it the clip is recognised correctly and there is no driver exclamation point next to the mass storage device entry. The clip also shows up in the windows explorer. But I did notice a couple of times, and I don’t know if my screen saver had kicked in or the game I was playing was causing a problem, but I would hear the USB error chime and when I would look in the device manager there would then be an exclamation point next to mass storage device. This would be after the clip was connected for a while. I was thinking maybe it was caused by low battery as the display would go dark and it didn’t seem like an hour had passed, but then again when I’m locked in a game time flies.

Could be a few different issues here:

1. The Clip should be connected to a high-power USB port.  I’ve found that even some powered USB hubs are sometimes a problem here.

2. Faulty USB cable?

3. USB conflict weirdness.

1.  Is the display going off after an hour?  If so, SanDisk intended that, to preserve the screen’s life.  Charging will continue.  If I recall correctly, you can check that the Clip still is charging simply by pressing the Clip’s center button and the display will come back to life (for another hour). 

2.  The Clip’s firmware may have changed since your last Clip–but it still provides the same functionality (with improvements).  You may want to check the firrmware upgrade thread at the top of the forum, to see if you have the latest–if not, I’d upgrade the firmware by following the thread’s instructions.

The display is turning off after only a couple of minutes and when it does I hear the negative usb chime and the device then shows an exclimation point in the harware manager.

When I plug in my clip it is recognised in the device manager as a mass storage device. After about 3 minutes the clip goes dark and I’ll here the usb disconnect chime. The clip will not charge when this happens and in the device manager there is then an exclimation point next to the mass storage device entry. I went into setting and under power changed auto off from something like 1 minute to the maximum of 60. Now it seems the clip stays connected to the machine an charges for a greater amout of time. I wouldn’t say this is really a solution though as after 20 minutes it will go back it it’s old behaviour and not charge any longer after it powers off and disconnects. It would be nice if I could turn off auto off all together or if it would do that while connected automatically. The other issue now is I cannot update the firmware no matter what I try. The Sansa firmware updater keeps telling me it will finish installing when I connect my clip. I connect the clip, it is not showing any errors in the device manager, but the firmware installer will still not finish it’s install and says the same thing about connecting my clip to finish the process. With so many people using windows why is this clip so difficult to work with.