m230 do not connect to windows 7

i tried to connect my sansa m230 to my new computer that works with windows 7 and i got massage that i have connected an unknown divice.

i tried to set the m230 to msc/mtp mode and it doesnt work.

the m230 doesnt work with windows xp that i have on my old computer although it worked in the past.

i tried to install the updater but it didnt recognised the device.

first quistion : does anybody know how to format the m230 without connecting it to the computer ?

second quistion : do i need a driver for the m230 that match windows 7 ?

thank you.

You don’t need a driver or anything like that. Does the player itself work? Sounds like either its broken, or maybe the USB cable.

hi, the player works and plays songs. i replaced the cord to other cords and still it doesent connect to the computer.

i think i need to format it. and then try again. do you know how to do it from the divice itself ?

@kl1 wrote:

i think i need to format it. and then try again. do you know how to do it from the divice itself ?

You can’t.

And I’m not convinced that would solve your problem anyway.

@kl1 wrote:

i tried to connect my sansa m230 to my new computer that works with windows 7 and i got massage that i have connected an unknown divice.

i tried to set the m230 to msc/mtp mode and it doesnt work.

One usually gets this message when the device is in MTP (or Auto Defect) Mode and it cannot find the drivers necessary for an MTP connection. By the way, these drivers are included in Windows Media Player 10 and above.

Unless you really need MTP for DRM-protected files, MSC mode is the way to go. In this mode, your computer will see the device as any other external drive, so no drivers necessary.

You said you tried to set your player to msc/mtp mode. I don’t know what you are saying here. Did you try both modes (they are separate)? This USB setting is in Settings > USB.

You can also ‘force’ MSC mode by following this procedure:

1. Turn device OFF.
    2. Facing the hold switch slide it to the right so an orange color would show putting the device on Hold.
  2. Connect the device to the PC.

You might also try running Win 7 in Compatibility mode, either as Vista or XP.

thank you for your answer.

i tried to connect the device in msc mode and the computer gave me the same massage - that i have connected an unknown device.

i tried to connect the m230 to 4 other computer in my work and the same massge apeared.

i use to put songs in it by connecting it to my old computer which work with windows xp and now this computer gives the same massage.

what is Compatibility mode ? and how do i do it ?

thanks…